Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Beta Button for 2021 Refreshed Plaid and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read an article which said Elon wanted 10.2 (I think 10.2...not sure which version) downloaded to everyone accepted doing the FSD Beta, so you all would be waiting another week or so. Where have we heard that before? :rolleyes: Supposedly it starts this Friday or Sat. So basically all those who requested it from day one are being evaluated for 2 weeks instead of 1 week. I can see Elon & Tesla doing that again and again and again. Just saying.
Alright fine I'll wait another week :rolleyes:

X-Post - Your future participation is requested here!

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Given the difficulty of maintaining a very high average score, I think Tesla will burn through the cars with 100 or 99% scores very quickly when they start expanding the beta. (Unless of course, they change the rules/scoring.) So, I'm just having a little fun with trying to keep my score up and saving lots of energy and tread life at the same time. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
1,238 miles total, all are daily driving / commuting…no trips, and can’t figure out how to change my “hard braking” .4 since regen is so strong I effectively can’t even touch the brake pedal as regen alone will register a HB ding 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any ideas?

Even tempted to go into neutral on the expressway just to be able to ride the brakes a bit bit haven’t tried that quite yetz

Any ideas?
Doing these two categories of things have helped my score (currently 99%):
  1. Maximize the use of Autopilot on all roads where it lets me turn it on (not just freeways).
  2. When not using Autopilot, it's very sedate driving: Keep my speed down to the speed limit (to help avoid the need for sudden braking), leave lots of space between my car and the one ahead (helps avoid sudden braking situations, collision warnings, and dings for following too closely), make turns slowly and gently (don't accelerate much at all until completing the turn), and don't let full regen kick in (instead start slowing sooner and then feather it).
Yes, it's ridiculous that this stuff is necessary for a good score. So, don't do it if you don't want to. It's just a game for me right now! 🥳

This isn't just a game. The first users are the ones training the system how to drive. I would much prefer the initial FSD be a very smooth and cautious driver. Not a typical Tesla Plaid driver ;). This isn't a ploy Tesla is using to delay releasing the perfect FSD they have, they are actually selecting the driving style they want the software to have. Seems like some people forget these details....

1,238 miles total, all are daily driving / commuting…no trips, and can’t figure out how to change my “hard braking” .4 since regen is so strong I effectively can’t even touch the brake pedal as regen alone will register a HB ding 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any ideas?

Even tempted to go into neutral on the expressway just to be able to ride the brakes a bit bit haven’t tried that quite yetz
Leave on AP on highway. Gap 7.

This isn't just a game. The first users are the ones training the system how to drive. I would much prefer the initial FSD be a very smooth and cautious driver. Not a typical Tesla Plaid driver ;). This isn't a ploy Tesla is using to delay releasing the perfect FSD they have, they are actually selecting the driving style they want the software to have. Seems like some people forget these details....
Not quite .. they *think* they are selecting cautious drivers so that they will get careful testers (and no crashes that would create headlines and cause government to step in). However, since they published the "game" rules they are going to get (a) people who fake being good drivers so they can get on the beta and (b) people who hardly ever drive the car (since they apparently dont care if you log 5 or 500 miles of driving).

Also, it's not clear to m that a "granny" driver is a good beta tester anyway .. someone who genuinely drives in the manner needs to have 100% score is very likely to be rather slow an cautious because they are bad drivers. Just the kind of person who will not be alert enough to step in when the car does something wrong.

Reactions: impastu
Doing these two categories of things have helped my score (currently 99%):
  1. Maximize the use of Autopilot on all roads where it lets me turn it on (not just freeways).
  2. When not using Autopilot, it's very sedate driving: Keep my speed down to the speed limit (to help avoid the need for sudden braking), leave lots of space between my car and the one ahead (helps avoid sudden braking situations, collision warnings, and dings for following too closely), make turns slowly and gently (don't accelerate much at all until completing the turn), and don't let full regen kick in (instead start slowing sooner and then feather it).
Yes, it's ridiculous that this stuff is necessary for a good score. So, don't do it if you don't want to. It's just a game for me right now! 🥳
That describes my last 1,000 miles 🤣😂🤣

Not quite .. they *think* they are selecting cautious drivers so that they will get careful testers (and no crashes that would create headlines and cause government to step in). However, since they published the "game" rules they are going to get (a) people who fake being good drivers so they can get on the beta and (b) people who hardly ever drive the car (since they apparently dont care if you log 5 or 500 miles of driving).

Also, it's not clear to m that a "granny" driver is a good beta tester anyway .. someone who genuinely drives in the manner needs to have 100% score is very likely to be rather slow an cautious because they are bad drivers. Just the kind of person who will not be alert enough to step in when the car does something wrong.
That is all possibly true, but in general, if you have to judge in general using only a couple metrics, theirs should provide good data. Not that a few bad apples can get in, but I can't think of a better simple formula. They can't do this on a case by case basis for every mile of driving.

So the "unsafe following" is driving me nuts. I have watched the "Tesla Joy" video about merging on freeways in autopilot. However I am absolutely getting docked with autopilot on the freeway. I drove 100 miles with autopilot (7) on for almost the full drive (and when it wasn't on, I was like 10 car lengths behind). It still docked me for unsafe following. Then I did the 100 miles back, no autopilot so I could literally stay 15 cars back, and I still got docked for unsafe following. It doesn't make sense and very frustrating. Perhaps it is docking me for under 50 MPH on city streets. But it says it's only activated at 50 MPH+. My current score is 98 with about 500 miles of driving. Can't get it above that number because of unsafe following events.

So the "unsafe following" is driving me nuts. I have watched the "Tesla Joy" video about merging on freeways in autopilot. However I am absolutely getting docked with autopilot on the freeway. I drove 100 miles with autopilot (7) on for almost the full drive (and when it wasn't on, I was like 10 car lengths behind). It still docked me for unsafe following. Then I did the 100 miles back, no autopilot so I could literally stay 15 cars back, and I still got docked for unsafe following. It doesn't make sense and very frustrating. Perhaps it is docking me for under 50 MPH on city streets. But it says it's only activated at 50 MPH+. My current score is 98 with about 500 miles of driving. Can't get it above that number because of unsafe following events.
Don’t stay this far back from other cars when going 50mph without AP engaged, so you can have a large denominator for the 1-3 second following distance.

Of course, don’t stay so close either so you’re within a second, as this will increase the numerator. If you find yourself in this situation, engage AP as soon as possible.

Don’t stay this far back from other cars when going 50mph without AP engaged, so you can have a large denominator for the 1-3 second following distance.

Of course, don’t stay so close either so you’re within a second, as this will increase the numerator. If you find yourself in this situation, engage AP as soon as possible.
Can you explain 'not' staying back from cars without AP in engaged? Not sure why I need to speed up and stay closer to cars in order to not get docked. I got docked while AP was engaged as well. Multiple freeway trips with AP engaged and I have been docked.