Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I understand it, it will work like this. If I find out new information, I will update this chart and post the updated version here.

t9kXrez.gif

Great chart, makes a lot of sense.

It does point out, however, how the bar has been lowered for FSD and makes me think Tesla has internally acknowledged, and are trying to cover the fact they will not be able to deliver the FSD they originally sold.

Haha! It looks like you don't even know what hardware current cars have!
Are you suggesting current car have hardware that can detect vehicles from the side at sufficient distance to know whether an intersection is clear to cross? I know we have B pillar cameras that point sideways, but I doubt their resolution and precision is sufficnet to see down a side street far enough, they can barely see the car next to me for blind spot detect.

Reactions: selfbp and dbldwn02
Are you suggesting current car have hardware that can detect vehicles from the side at sufficient distance to know whether an intersection is clear to cross? I know we have B pillar cameras that point sideways, but I doubt their resolution and precision is sufficnet to see down a side street far enough, they can barely see the car next to me for blind spot detect.

Yes. Why do you doubt that? How do you know what the cameras can or cannot see? Have you hacked into the video feeds?

The Model 3 was designed to be full self-driving. That includes pulling up to a stop sign at an intersection where the cross traffic does not stop and pulling out into traffic. You can bet the cameras have sufficient resolution to do that.

No. If you have EAP now, you only get NOA, Auto Park and Smart Summon. You don't get the "coming later this year" features like "automatic city driving" or traffic light recognition.

If you pre-paid for FSD, you get the AP3 upgrade and all the FSD features on the list and all future FSD software updates. No, you are not penalized!

I’m new to this and am looking to buy an S soon. So what if I DONT pre-Pay for FSD? Then I don’t get the AP3 upgrade when it becomes available I assume? But if I pay the extra $7000 for FSD upgrade at the time...then they’ll let me get the AP3 upgrade? Just making sure I understand this because I doubt I’ll get FSD right now.

I have HW2 w/FSD purchased. I've come to terms that I will never be able to "Summon my car from across the U.S." It would be sweet if I could get a $5000 refund of the difference I paid ($8000) and the features that I actually use, AP Basic which is now $3000. I never use Summon and Autopark is useless. I know that won't happen so at least I have HW3 upgrades to look forward too....hopefully. Sentry mode and dash cam would be a sweet upgrade to my MS. Not sure it's worth $5000 but it's better than nothing.

According to what folks are seeing in their accounts now, looks like if you have a Model 3 with EAP, you can upgrade to FSD for $3000; but if you have an S or an X with EAP, it still costs $5000 to upgrade to FSD. (Some Model 3 guys have already purchased it tonight, according to the reddit sub.)

M3 owners have it showing for $3k in their accounts, but all S/X owners still have it showing $5k.

So looks like the "add the missing features for $3000" thing that @Troy mentioned applies to Model 3 only. S/X EAP owners will still have to pay $5000 even though some of those features we have were rolled into FSD.

What the business justification for this is, I have no idea. Can't think of anything besides "We think S/X owners can afford it", or something.

This discrepancy, and the who-knows date on Sentry Mode for S/X sure does make me feel like S/X owners are being deprecated or pushed to the side.

This really sucks... like they are purposely trying to alienate and piss off current owners...

EAP was $5k... FSD was $3k and owners like myself who purchased in Nov/Dec 18 time frame FSD was removed and there wasn’t any options to prepay or purchase in advanced...

Now they did a bait and switch by moving features around and S/X owners who wants FSD has to dish out $5k for a total of $10k...

And if that wasn’t enough... the drop in price... a fully loaded S100D is now only 92k...

Definitely feeling like they don’t give a rats about existing owner and the goal is to just get new owners in the door...

This really sucks... like they are purposely trying to alienate and piss off current owners...

EAP was $5k... FSD was $3k and owners like myself who purchased in Nov/Dec 18 time frame FSD was removed and there wasn’t any options to prepay or purchase in advanced...

Now they did a bait and switch by moving features around and S/X owners who wants FSD has to dish out $5k for a total of $10k...

And if that wasn’t enough... the drop in price... a fully loaded S100D is now only 92k...

Definitely feeling like they don’t give a rats about existing owner and the goal is to just get new owners in the door...

Same deal with me. Dec 2018, EAP. I asked if I could add FSD to my order (for the $3k, when it was unavailable) and the answer from everyone was a resounding NO.

Then a few weeks later, it shows up for $5k in my account.

Now, Model 3 owners who paid arguably less margin to Tesla, *and* the same amount for EAP, get the FSD option for $3k and we have to pay $5k.

Don't get me started on the pricing changes and range changes...

Really does feel like they're actually trying to alienate S/X owners. I'd love to hear SOME rationale as to why the M3 EAP->FSD is $3000 and the MS EAP->FSD is $5000. Maybe they'll say something about the computer being harder to change out or something. But we know that isn't true.

Reactions: MIT_S60
:D I'm pretty sure they're not purposefully trying to piss off current owners.:D

Most likely they are just adjusting the pricing going forward to best suit the market conditions they are seeing.

How can a $5000 EAP->FSD upgrade price vs a $3000 EAP->FSD upgrade price have to do with market conditions, when all new purchases have equal prices for AP and FSD between Model 3 and Model S/X?

Discounting the FSD upgrade price for Model 3 because they paid $5K for EAP which is part of what makes up FSD now, makes sense.

The problem is, it makes the exact same sense for S/X owners, because we paid the exact same price for EAP, and the feature sets are identical.

How can a $5000 EAP->FSD upgrade price vs a $3000 EAP->FSD upgrade price have to do with market conditions, when all new purchases have equal prices for AP and FSD between Model 3 and Model S/X?

Discounting the FSD upgrade price for Model 3 because they paid $5K for EAP which is part of what makes up FSD now, makes sense.

The problem is, it makes the exact same sense for S/X owners, because we paid the exact same price for EAP, and the feature sets are identical.

Optimum pricing doesn't always make sense in the way you are trying to compare. And I have no idea what Tesla knows that I don't but I'm confident they are not doing it to "piss off current owners". That's ridiculous on its face.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold and croman