Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FWD switch design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd, the service center that really had my back earlier and went out of their way to make me happy with the car told me that they can't even do it because the system is totally different. When I told them people are reporting having it done they switched to "we're not allowed unless the switches are broken". I feel odd leaving my new car with people that will make up things to justify their own policies.

I'd love to hear of a SF Bay Area SC that will do this, or at least order the parts so I can try it myself. If someone does a self install I'll be interested to see what's involved.

they tried to tell me the same thing as well :D. I sent them this thread and told them i could install them myself and they finally just gave in. lol

Odd, the service center that really had my back earlier and went out of their way to make me happy with the car told me that they can't even do it because the system is totally different. When I told them people are reporting having it done they switched to "we're not allowed unless the switches are broken". I feel odd leaving my new car with people that will make up things to justify their own policies.

I'd love to hear of a SF Bay Area SC that will do this, or at least order the parts so I can try it myself. If someone does a self install I'll be interested to see what's involved.

Given the retail cost of your car, worst case is $175 labor for them to do it. I don't think its worth messing with in your case since its confirmed they have to open up trim at the minimum.

The original switches are functionally defective. I can't remember a single guest passenger who has been able to use those switches to open or close the FWD on their first try, and many who still can't use those switches on subsequent tries. It's a safety hazard.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
It's interesting, my X was delivered AUG2016 and had a switch where the lower half had an opening. The SC just changed mine since one side broke, it's exactly the same minus the hole. So this seems to be the third iteration, they even mentioned that it changed, guess they just need to use up excess inventory :(

It's interesting, my X was delivered AUG2016 and had a switch where the lower half had an opening. The SC just changed mine since one side broke, it's exactly the same minus the hole. So this seems to be the third iteration, they even mentioned that it changed, guess they just need to use up excess inventory :(

Sounds like you got the second, not third, iteration. See here:
New FWD switch design

So while my car was being fixed for the annoying FWD detecting objects under sun heat, I mentioned to the tech about the new switches. He asked where I saw it and I showed him this thread and he knows about he forum and put it down. I picked up the car today and he goodwilled the replacements for me for being patience with the FWD repair. Very nice guy.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Please reread my post #119. They did refuse. At least the nearest SC did, but there are others in the Bay Area that I haven't tried yet.

My SC didn't want to replace working switches but nothing they could say if I was willing to pay for it. Your center is messed up. You can try to reach a different person or call around. So it seems the high end is one hour labor and $20 for parts. It's straightforward.

Hope you succeed without much more difficulty.