Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FWD switch design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My service center wants to charge 175 (1 hr) plus 20 dollars to install them on existing cars with working switches. Is it that much an effort?
We would need someone to watch the install, but based on what we've seen, aren't the new switches larger (longer top to bottom), so you are cutting away the trim panel for them to fit after you remove the original ones? That's the way it looks from the photos I've seen here, but I could be wrong...

We would need someone to watch the install, but based on what we've seen, aren't the new switches larger (longer top to bottom), so you are cutting away the trim panel for them to fit after you remove the original ones? That's the way it looks from the photos I've seen here, but I could be wrong...
The old switch does not cover the whole opening in the first place. The new switch fills up the whole space. Please see pics on page 3.

The old switch does not cover the whole opening in the first place. The new switch fills up the whole space. Please see pics on page 3.
Yes, the old arrangement consisted of the switch itself, plus an indentation below the switch to allow you to get your finger under the switch to pull out. It looks like this new switch takes the full area of the old switch plus the indentation below. That makes sense, since you wouldn't want that gap below the switch. No cutting should be needed. It should just be a matter of popping out the old switch, reconnecting the wiring to the new switch and popping it back into the same hole.

Yes, the old arrangement consisted of the switch itself, plus an indentation below the switch to allow you to get your finger under the switch to pull out. It looks like this new switch takes the full area of the old switch plus the indentation below. That makes sense, since you wouldn't want that gap below the switch. No cutting should be needed. It should just be a matter of popping out the old switch, reconnecting the wiring to the new switch and popping it back into the same hole.

My SC said it would involve removing the trim around each switch and removing the screws holding in the old switches. That it would be at least one hour of work.

Unless I missed something, I so far have the only confirmation on the labor involved for a non-warranty repair?

My SC said it would involve removing the trim around each switch and removing the screws holding in the old switches. That it would be at least one hour of work.

Unless I missed something, I so far have the only confirmation on the labor involved for a non-warranty repair?

Well, I'm kind of stuck if that's the case. It didn't occur to me that the labor would be so expensive. I just asked them to order them. My only hope is that the switches are going in a CPO that's being delivered. And they've been pretty crappy about getting it to me, with one excuse after another. It will likely be 7 or 8 weeks before I finally get it. I'm hoping they'll be a little embarrassed about charging me so much for the switch.

Well, I'm kind of stuck if that's the case. It didn't occur to me that the labor would be so expensive. I just asked them to order them. My only hope is that the switches are going in a CPO that's being delivered. And they've been pretty crappy about getting it to me, with one excuse after another. It will likely be 7 or 8 weeks before I finally get it. I'm hoping they'll be a little embarrassed about charging me so much for the switch.

Your mileage may vary as they say. Different SC and different advisors can get you different results. My thoughts are that with your significant purchase, they should just spot you that install.

My SC originally told me probably $50-$60 labor per side and $10 for the switch. They also said i could install myself, but would possibly need new clips if i broke any when i took off the B-pillar trim.

However, my car went in to have a new connector installed that was causing an airbag error light, got my right visor adjusted because it was stiff, and replaced my carbon fiber sliding console door, and when i called to check on the status this morning they said: "hey, for the trouble you've been having we installed these new FWD switches for you at no cost" !!!?! :)

i was please as punch and picked up the car today at lunch, and it looks awesome!

Odd, the service center that really had my back earlier and went out of their way to make me happy with the car told me that they can't even do it because the system is totally different. When I told them people are reporting having it done they switched to "we're not allowed unless the switches are broken". I feel odd leaving my new car with people that will make up things to justify their own policies.

I'd love to hear of a SF Bay Area SC that will do this, or at least order the parts so I can try it myself. If someone does a self install I'll be interested to see what's involved.