Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FWD switch design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
waiting to hear if Tesla will replace mine. they aren't broken but are very confusing especially for people new to the car. i told them i would pay them $20 if they wanted, and he sounded reluctant to even look it up. (also told him i could probably install it as it looks easy)

I need to get an airbag error looked at and my center console fixed (door won't stay open, this was a demo car and i presume random people just yanked on it one to many times) anyway so maybe i can get it all done at once.

I got an early Model X (Dec. 2015), and I really believe Tesla dumped a beta product on our laps, which they've been steadily fixing as time goes on. I had four service center visits in early 2016 to fix manufacturing/design faults, and some things are never going to get fixed, like misaligned body panels. I guess I'll have to crash my X to get those fixed.

This button is a prime example. Absolutely no one knows how to use it, and it causes everyone to look and feel stupid. I wish I could say I hope Tesla learns it's lessons, but I know they haven't. The Model 3 will be a similarly beta car with software that isn't fully tested and delivered with known software bugs, misaligned body panels, and yet another new door handle concept that will have its own usueability challenges, among other things.

It's just the way it is with Tesla.

I got an early Model X (Dec. 2015), and I really believe Tesla dumped a beta product on our laps, which they've been steadily fixing as time goes on. I had four service center visits in early 2016 to fix manufacturing/design faults, and some things are never going to get fixed, like misaligned body panels. I guess I'll have to crash my X to get those fixed.

This button is a prime example. Absolutely no one knows how to use it, and it causes everyone to look and feel stupid. I wish I could say I hope Tesla learns it's lessons, but I know they haven't. The Model 3 will be a similarly beta car with software that isn't fully tested and delivered with known software bugs, misaligned body panels, and yet another new door handle concept that will have its own usueability challenges, among other things.

It's just the way it is with Tesla.

I have a 3/16 manufactured car and I completely agree with you.

• Informative
Reactions: polymathic
One good thing about middle version of the rear falcon wing buttons is that I've noticed if I don't tell people they can pull them, they normally won't. It may not occur to them at all the button is pullable. The middle version (where they covered the opening in the middle) looks pretty much like a single button, so it is just a close button for my passengers... and with the child lock enabled anyway, that's the way it is going to stay. :)

So I guess I'll be keeping the buttons I have for the time being. But I agree overall usability-wise the latest button is of course the best, if you want to have rear passengers operating the door opening as well.

Reactions: boaterva
I am sure that if Tesla had originally installed the current switch with the two buttons up and down and now releases the chrome-around design some people would be saying that the chrome-around design is much better, and that the two buttons up/down is so beta ;-)

Well, I'm not so sure. Quality is quality and usability is usability. I actually think the old buttons look higher quality (the chrome makes it look a bit more upscale), but obviously they lack clear affordances - it is not obvious what the old buttons do as pressing the image of opening falcon wings does nothing, pressing under it actually closes the door... only only by pulling an adjacent chrome piece does something open.

Reactions: dragonxt
Well, I'm not so sure. Quality is quality and usability is usability. I actually think the old buttons look higher quality (the chrome makes it look a bit more upscale), but obviously they lack clear affordances - it is not obvious what the old buttons do as pressing the image of opening falcon wings does nothing, pressing under it actually closes the door... only only by pulling an adjacent chrome piece does something open.
Right, it definitely needed an UX/UI upgrade where the thing you touch does what it says. Saying that, now there's the touch screen where the doors are not where they really are.... :D

A funny FWD-related thing happened the other day that wasn't related to figuring out how to open the doors. A second row passenger that has already taken about half a dozen rides in those second row seats thought that his window couldn't roll down. I don't mean that it didn't occur to him, but that he believed it was not possible. The context was that the rubber seal had left an odd set of lines on the window the last time it was down/up and he was wondering what they were. I said it looks like the rubber had been sticking as the window went up and down and he literally replied, "but how did that happen, these windows don't go up and down"...

Now the window control is pretty standard back there, but the odd open/close control and the overall confusion with how to deal with the doors (and possibly the fact that they have so many windows already and do acrobatic tricks) combined to make him believe that there was little that he could do with the door and so an opening window just didn't really occur to him. He said that he felt hermetically sealed in whenever he was back there.

I'm definitely going to get the new switches. Even though I like the look of the existing switches, even people who ride in the back half a dozen times within a couple of weeks still have trouble remembering how to operate the doors and even I, after a month and a half of ownership, still have to think twice before I tell them whether to push or pull. :(

I remember to try those (lowering windows) in my demo, and it is sorta weird. When back there, you think you are in a sealed chamber or something, and perhaps it's the shape of the windows and/or they look like the overhead clear sections. But they do open, of course, and for those that like open windows, they're great. (Too noisy for me, but I think that about all open windows!)

• Helpful
Reactions: Pilot Steve
I remember to try those (lowering windows) in my demo, and it is sorta weird. When back there, you think you are in a sealed chamber or something, and perhaps it's the shape of the windows and/or they look like the overhead clear sections. But they do open, of course, and for those that like open windows, they're great. (Too noisy for me, but I think that about all open windows!)
I just went and sat in the back to see and I noticed that the window switches are below the arm rest which may seem odd to some people. Also, they didn't work until I started up the car. When I unlocked it from the app and got in, the doors would work, but not the windows. I had to also enable keyless driving before the windows would work. That seems odd as well, and could explain why someone might think the windows aren't functional if they tried to open the window before I had "started up" the car...?