Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Glass Roof Option, Any Info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can Tesla do this to me. We just ordered the regular roof because didn't want the sunroof only because of previous experiences with leaking. Now they have the glass roof. How could they not tell me about the new roof option coming soon. I am thinking my car is completely outdated now. No one will want the regular roof now. My resale value just tanked. I'm stuck with it. Just kidding. Looking forward to our car when it comes in hopefully in 2016. Although we may have chosen the new roof if it was available.

It showed up last night. Just texted my DeS to switch from the pano.
Switch from Pano to Sunroof ? Did you have to pay the extra $500? From the picture in the design studio , it appears that the sunroof and pano are same and there is a beam running in the center. If I have to speculate - I don't think tesla will bother carrying the old roof and the new , at some point the will switch the production line and those who recently ordered a Pano will be automatically switched to the sun roof? Hopefully they won't auto charge the $500 delta.

Switch from Pano to Sunroof ? Did you have to pay the extra $500? From the picture in the design studio , it appears that the sunroof and pano are same and there is a beam running in the center. If I have to speculate - I don't think tesla will bother carrying the old roof and the new , at some point the will switch the production line and those who recently ordered a Pano will be automatically switched to the sun roof? Hopefully they won't auto charge the $500 delta.
I don't see any reason why they would stop offering the sunroof (previously called the panoramic roof). I think they just had to rename the panoramic roof since the new glass roof will now have even larger panoramic views. I think they'll continue to offer the sunroof for those who want it for ventilation and the ability to add a roof rack.

I paid $1500 for the pano sunroof which is now a $2k option and it's a new option on a car that hasn't entered production. I doubt they'll charge me the $500 change but I'd probably pay it anyways. I'd rather have the all glass roof which in the photo definitely eliminates pillar. I only open the sunroof on my current car to vent the cabin which is not necessary on a car I can run the HVAC on. I don't intend to use XM.

I don't see any reason why they would stop offering the sunroof (previously called the panoramic roof). I think they just had to rename the panoramic roof since the new glass roof will now have even larger panoramic views. I think they'll continue to offer the sunroof for those who want it for ventilation and the ability to add a roof rack.

I'll bet the roof rack will still work. The only thing other thing you'll lose is XM capability. I suspect the sunroof will be a significantly less popular choice from here on.

Ocassionally - the sun roof gives you a partial convertible feel - so I doubt if it will be less popular - especially in places like claifornia .
Exactly! My car on order has a panoramic roof and I would probably still choose that option over the glass roof. It's nice they do have the three options available now. I know someone who would definitely go for the glass roof instead of the sunroof.

I suspect the sunroof will be a significantly less popular choice from here on.
If you go to the model3tracker.info you can see that there are 29.2% who pretend to buy the metal roof, 44.6% the all glass roof and 26.2% the panoramic one, from 4179 votes. So I would say the panoramic option will still be popular, even more in the S and in the 3 since model 3 buyers will tend to spend less money on options than the S buyers.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
How can Tesla do this to me. We just ordered the regular roof because didn't want the sunroof only because of previous experiences with leaking. Now they have the glass roof. How could they not tell me about the new roof option coming soon. I am thinking my car is completely outdated now. No one will want the regular roof now. My resale value just tanked. I'm stuck with it. Just kidding. Looking forward to our car when it comes in hopefully in 2016. Although we may have chosen the new roof if it was available.
Don't worry. I'm sure the glass roof will leak too. (Mine's in the shop for guess what?)

What about XM radio compatibility - previously required pano + premium sound

No XM with the solid glass roof.

Screenshot 2016-11-04 09.33.58.png