Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by software reinstall? That is something you did yourself by parking near the service center?

Are you now able to level the headlights yourself from the service menu in the center screen? Any other issues with the lights?

This is incredible. Thanks again.
Yes, google Tesla service mode, lots of videos online. Yes, able to level both headlights now

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
I called around to 3 different Tesla Certified shops in the DFW area and none were comfortable doing the gateway config change. I have not reached out to Tesla directly. Not sure what the best approach is. Nighthawk's approach of installing the headlights and having tesla troubleshoot, or just straight up asking them if they will change the config value. If Tesla says no, would be a pain in the ass to undo all the work and not have working headlights in the meantime.

Reactions: eesmjus and E90alex
I called around to 3 different Tesla Certified shops in the DFW area and none were comfortable doing the gateway config change. I have not reached out to Tesla directly. Not sure what the best approach is. Nighthawk's approach of installing the headlights and having tesla troubleshoot, or just straight up asking them if they will change the config value. If Tesla says no, would be a pain in the ass to undo all the work and not have working headlights in the meantime.

Dealing with the same. Been stuck with these brand new global headlights for almost a year lol :(

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3
I think the best idea would be to do it Nighthawk did. Randomly pull up complain about the headlights not working and suggest the gateway "fix" and hope that they just do it. I would love to know if any texas SC is willing to do it. Maybe a smaller one like Tyler, but i'm not willing to drive 300+ miles.

Reactions: goRt
I think the best idea would be to do it Nighthawk did. Randomly pull up complain about the headlights not working and suggest the gateway "fix" and hope that they just do it. I would love to know if any texas SC is willing to do it. Maybe a smaller one like Tyler, but i'm not willing to drive 300+ miles.
The ideal scenario would be a mobile tech that could do it. I take the bumper off at home and install the lights, the tech comes out and updates the config. I get everything tested to make sure it works, and then put the bumper back on. I would happily pay tesla for their time, but I think they would just say no. Nighthawk probably has the right answer in "playing dumb and oh try this". But on the other hand, I find it hard to believe the tesla tech would not realize how weird a MYLR with global headlights are. I would love to see it confirmed before I pull the trigger.

Reactions: WhiteM3P- and goRt
The gateway config matches what's installed, it doesn't ping the lights for a response and adjust itself
I had a feeling. So at the very least the service centers can definitely do it now. I heard that some new M3Ps were coming with old lights and if the new owner complained the SC was doing free swaps. So it's definitely being done now more consistently.

Reactions: goRt
I had a feeling. So at the very least the service centers can definitely do it now. I heard that some new M3Ps were coming with old lights and if the new owner complained the SC was doing free swaps. So it's definitely being done now more consistently.
I have yet to see proof of headlights actually being changed after the fact. Only that people were able to schedule service only to later have it cancelled because Tesla corporate wouldn’t allow it despite what the SAs promised.

Service centers have the technical capability to but I don’t think the mothership allows them to.

Reactions: stopcrazypp

Has it been documented by anyone that Tesla will retrofit the old lights? I haven't seen it here as this is not conventional practice for any automaker.

Reactions: E90alex
Source? There are cases of SAs that tell customers to schedule with service, then after a while service cancelled saying it's not possible. If you have a source where someone was actually able to successfully have Tesla do a swap, please post it.

Reactions: E90alex
Source? There are cases of SAs that tell customers to schedule with service, then after a while service cancelled saying it's not possible. If you have a source where someone was actually able to successfully have Tesla do a swap, please post it.

Right in this thread a few posts back:

Same exact thing happened to me, I installed the matrix headlights in 2021 SR+ and had Tesla change the gateway value. They charged me $75 for the diagnostic time. The left headlight had a plastic piece rattling loose which must’ve been from the adjustment motor as mine is too low and won’t adjust up. Still within eBay seller’s return window so waiting for a replacement

The person installed the lights themselves and then went and got the config updated for $75.

I visited the service center with the headlights already installed. Probably the reason they agreed to try in the first place. Only took them a few mins to update the config. Also, I got the replacement headlight this weekend for the driver side headlight that was aimed too low. I plugged in it but it wouldn’t work until I did a software reinstall FYI

Reactions: Nighthawk26