Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, liability likely is why Tesla has to (or already has) clamp down on this harder and make it abundantly clear they don't support this if they don't intend to do so. So if they do any software updates and something screws up because it's a part that doesn't match factory configuration, it's all on you when they have made that clear. It's a different case if they decide to officially offer retrofits, but obviously they have no plans to do so at this point.
To think that a gateway configuration can lead to liability issues or brick some system down the road is to not understand what we're asking for.

Tesla has a documented procedure for configuration change post delivery, we know they do it, have done it extensively during the chips shortage on much more complicated and critical systems without issues.

To the liability crying posters, do you think if Tesla ran out of reflector headlamps, they wouldn't install matrix under warranty? Or if they ran out of matrix can you sue for installing reflector?

We are not asking tesla to install aftermarket parts here nor are we asking them to do something they haven't done or for free.

The stock 3 headlights are already super bright. New ones seem to be adaptive so they just move when turning compared to being still. Probably aren't any brighter. Not worth the retrofit to me. Plus my headlight housings were painted black so nope!
I agree I think the headlights should be ok on my new M3 - this car will not have some of the deluxe features - like new lights - better sound system. - and some others - I don’t want to spend more so I’m excited to get delivery September?

To think that a gateway configuration can lead to liability issues or brick some system down the road is to not understand what we're asking for.

Tesla has a documented procedure for configuration change post delivery, we know they do it, have done it extensively during the chips shortage on much more complicated and critical systems without issues.

To the liability crying posters, do you think if Tesla ran out of reflector headlamps, they wouldn't install matrix under warranty? Or if they ran out of matrix can you sue for installing reflector?
Well I'm not the one bringing up liability, it's someone that wants to install the matrix thinking of the possibility suing Tesla for the configuration being blocked. I'm saying it's the opposite, they are better protected legally from any potential problems if they block it.

As per your hypothetical, that's what I'm saying, if Tesla officially decides to do it, they can. They can create an official procedure to support it (which will take SC resources and puts liability on them to support). Currently they have zero incentive to do so, because it creates artificial demand for a part they apparently don't have enough of (given they have gone back to reflector so late in the game). You see the same thing in the whole CCS situation.
We are not asking tesla to install aftermarket parts here nor are we asking them to do something they haven't done or for free.
AFAIK, there is no case so far that Tesla has officially retrofitted a matrix light for a customer when they have a reflector from factory. There are people in threads that have the SA ask people to request it, but it has always been denied after the SC actually reviews it.

Also, this was mentioned upthread, but presumably most people that want matrix are hoping to get a possible future update that actually supports matrix functionality. If Tesla leaves those that have retrofitted matrix out of it, do you really think the people won't get up in arms? If Tesla bricks a retrofitted matrix light in a future update, you really seriously think people who retrofitted won't get up in arms? I don't think people are simply installing the matrix lights now and expecting no future support at all from Tesla and Tesla having zero liability.

Last edited:
Great news everybody. After waiting a very long time I got a reply from Ingenext on the headlight/gateway question. They will be adding it as an option in the bonus module once they get a pair to work with. $500 is a bit steep only for headlights but it is pretty tempting to also get automatic frunk/trunk opening on proximity. I'll offer to be a guinea pig but I doubt they need me, haha.

Has a phone with a 22’ M3P in USA gotten their rear fog to work?

Service center enabled it. I see the button for ‘rear fog’ next to the regular fog.

Pressing the button will turn it blur but no rear fog light icon appears on the left below the headlights and front fog.

Turning it in and off also doesn’t do anything to the rear reverse lights.

Any advice?

Has a phone with a 22’ M3P in USA gotten their rear fog to work?

Service center enabled it. I see the button for ‘rear fog’ next to the regular fog.

Pressing the button will turn it blur but no rear fog light icon appears on the left below the headlights and front fog.

Turning it in and off also doesn’t do anything to the rear reverse lights.

Any advice?
Turn headlights to "on"
Then rear fog to "on"

Go see if your left rear reverse light is lit.

@ph0ton did they say when they will offer it?
"The headlight type is certainly something we can add to the Bonus module, we're just waiting on getting a set of matrix headlights to try it out. "

I'm surprised the biggest supplier of secondhand EV parts doesn't have them already but who am I to judge, haha. I remember them saying something similar about the heated steering wheel and it took a month after that, though I didn't follow that too closely.

Reactions: eesmjus
20220811_120707.jpg

That's what mine looks like with MY inner light and custom harness.

• Informative
Reactions: eesmjus and ph0ton
Had another tech at my place today for my trunk harness. Level 3 no headlamp change available. It was a white line without blue highlight meaning a value that he couldn't change. He did say he was gonna ask at his SC to see if anyone can and get back to me.

Now I'm doubting the guy who originally got a level 3 tech to change it, because that's what, two people with access which the change didn't work? I've been scouring the internet for info. Did the guy just use the Toolbox 3 when doing that? Was it just an ODIN task? What you are describing doesn't match up to any of the publicly available info.

Had another tech at my place today for my trunk harness. Level 3 no headlamp change available. It was a white line without blue highlight meaning a value that he couldn't change. He did say he was gonna ask at his SC to see if anyone can and get back to me.
We need to ask @greentheonly on Twitter, if i'm not mistaken he/she was the one that told a user about the headlamp change configuration 28. Maybe Tesla HQ saw people were trying and possibly blocked it now.

Now I'm doubting the guy who originally got a level 3 tech to change it, because that's what, two people with access which the change didn't work? I've been scouring the internet for info. Did the guy just use the Toolbox 3 when doing that? Was it just an ODIN task? What you are describing doesn't match up to any of the publicly available info.
Toolbox 3 with a tesla level 3 tech.
Also trying to use garage site at teslamotors for diag and no dice.

• Informative
Reactions: ph0ton