Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New June invites coming “in the next few days”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know they have thousands of LR RWD stockpiled around the country. If they aren't all already spoken for, they could continue to fill new orders for those while building LR AWD cars.
That's true. Many people have gotten cars days after ordering. My concern is that those cars were rejected by other customers and/or suffered extensive damage in transport. I suppose it's possible that not all the stockpiled cars are spoken for.

Confirmed! :) I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something, because I'll really want this config and it's probably going to cost me half the tax credit and many more months of waiting. Starting to feel the pain of others on this forum, those who had to wait to configure. Ugh. It sucks.:mad: /vent

Curious -- why do you really want the non-PUP? Don't want the pano glass roof, or something else? Anyway, if it's $5k to get it now, or it costs you $3750 to not get it because of losing half the tax credit, then you can consider PUP at a $1250 upgrade option. You're paying $3750 either way.

When I originally ordered my S back in 2016, it also mentioned home delivery. After a few weeks, it was updated to show the local Service Center.

Honestly, I would've been glad to have home delivery since it would be a unique experience. Also, the Service Center at the time was way overcrowded and deliveries were done by pulling a curtain to separate a bay or two from the other bays.

I'm torn between potential home delivery or the 'delivery experience' at a sales location, because the nearest sales location/service center is ~ 3.5 hours drive across the state...and potentially over the mountain pass in the late fall early winter.

I'm torn between potential home delivery or the 'delivery experience' at a sales location, because the nearest sales location/service center is ~ 3.5 hours drive across the state...and potentially over the mountain pass in the late fall early winter.

I'm thinking by the time all the orders they just took are being delivered en masse, there won't be much of a "delivery experience" left to be had. "Here's your car. Please keep your hands on the wheel at all times while in AP. Here's a video about how to open the doors and turn on the AC and radio. Have a nice day. Next!"

I seem to recall someone saying Tesla reps were already talking about something like this a few months ago when they started delivering non-owner orders.

I'm thinking by the time all the orders they just took are being delivered en masse, there won't be much of a "delivery experience" left to be had. "Here's your car. Please keep your hands on the wheel at all times while in AP. Here's a video about how to open the doors and turn on the AC and radio. Have a nice day. Next!"

I seem to recall someone saying Tesla reps were already talking about something like this a few months ago when they started delivering non-owner orders.
I've already watched so many videos on the subject and read the owners manual that I just want to inspect the car and get out; I don't need the tutorial. I'd be happy to take delivery at home :)

Hi all, obviously new here, so forgive any ignorance. Two questions:

1. Is anyone else seeing very limited choices when they are trying to configure? For me, I can pick any color I want, as long as it's black. No choice on wheels, or interior. And I can "gamble" on the Autopilot. Oh... and AWD/Performance options. Are they trying to drain their RWD stock, and all that's left is black?

2. Where is the lingo translator around here? I'm figuring a few things out, but PUP has me baffled. Would like to keep my ignorant questions to a mimimum. :)

TIA

John

Hi all, obviously new here, so forgive any ignorance. Two questions:

1. Is anyone else seeing very limited choices when they are trying to configure? For me, I can pick any color I want, as long as it's black. No choice on wheels, or interior. And I can "gamble" on the Autopilot. Oh... and AWD/Performance options. Are they trying to drain their RWD stock, and all that's left is black?

2. Where is the lingo translator around here? I'm figuring a few things out, but PUP has me baffled. Would like to keep my ignorant questions to a mimimum. :)

TIA

John

When I config'd on 6/27, for the LR PUP, I could pick any ext color incl the new obsidian and either wheel. Opted to pay $500 extra for white... wished they didn't jack up the multicoat paint price.

Curious -- why do you really want the non-PUP? Don't want the pano glass roof, or something else? Anyway, if it's $5k to get it now, or it costs you $3750 to not get it because of losing half the tax credit, then you can consider PUP at a $1250 upgrade option. You're paying $3750 either way.
Even at that price, it's not worth it for things I don't want. Just my opinion (clearly a minority one): the pano roof is a gimmick (I'll almost never have anyone riding in the back seat to enjoy it, and it looks weird when wet); I don't need a bunch of things that make the car hotter, as I already live in West Hades (heated mirrors, seats, pleather); memory would be nice but probably only one of us will be driving 99% of the time; the only thing I'll miss (and would pay extra for) is the adjustable seats (and there'll probably be a way to get comfortable without that). So, $1,250? Not worth it for PUP. To get the car x months earlier, maybe, depending on the value of x. Of course, it would also help if I knew what *really* is not included in PUP--for example: front seat heaters would occasionally be useful, back seat heaters nearly never.

Edit: I actually live in West Hades. Dallas is East Hades. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Juice13
Is anyone else seeing very limited choices when they are trying to configure? For me, I can pick any color I want, as long as it's black. No choice on wheels, or interior.
Are you talking about exterior color (in which case, you're doing it wrong ;)) or interior color (in which case you are correct, except Performance adds an option for white interior)? You should also get at least two choices for wheels for RWD anyway: 18" and 19". Do you see this screen? If so, you can click on those colors and on those wheel icons, which changes the picture displayed. HTH (Hope that helps).
upload_2018-6-29_14-15-22.png

Even at that price, it's not worth it for things I don't want. Just my opinion (clearly a minority one): the pano roof is a gimmick (I'll almost never have anyone riding in the back seat to enjoy it, and it looks weird when wet); I don't need a bunch of things that make the car hotter, as I already live in West Hades (heated mirrors, seats, pleather); memory would be nice but probably only one of us will be driving 99% of the time; the only thing I'll miss (and would pay extra for) is the adjustable seats (and there'll probably be a way to get comfortable without that). So, $1,250? Not worth it for PUP. To get the car x months earlier, maybe, depending on the value of x. Of course, it would also help if I knew what *really* is not included in PUP--for example: front seat heaters would occasionally be useful, back seat heaters nearly never.

Fair enough. Might help future resale value, but not sure if that's worth $1250 up front. Anyway, I was just curious. I have 2 kids, so pano roof is a big deal for me, because I think they're going to love it, and I also want the heated mirrors, and the memory settings. Don't need the heated rear seats since right now they're both in car seats, and will be in boosters after that, but that all just comes along. So it's worth the $1250 to me. :)

Reactions: Dr. J

I’m with you - pano Glass roof sounds like torture.
I’m actually looking for a used Model S with a solid roof. The Pano roof in the 2014 I rented seemed to sacrifice at least an inch of headroom near the top of the A pillar. I’m long torso’d and like to drive close to the steering wheel so I don’t actually fit in lots of “short” cars.
Maybe this is moot in a Model 3. Don’t know since I can’t test drive.

I’m actually looking for a used Model S with a solid roof. The Pano roof in the 2014 I rented seemed to sacrifice at least an inch of headroom near the top of the A pillar. I’m long torso’d and like to drive close to the steering wheel so I don’t actually fit in lots of “short” cars.
Maybe this is moot in a Model 3. Don’t know since I can’t test drive.
The solid roof Model S has less headroom than the ones with the pano roof--mine has the solid roof & I've had lots of pano roof equipped loaners.

I have been checking my Tesla account at least twice every day since the last many many months. Today, finally I see what I wanted to see:).

Your Model 3 is ready to be designed.

Reserved: 4/1/2016

So you just got yours today and not yesterday or the day before? What is going on with Tesla's invite system. Many of us who reserved less than 10 days ago already received our ability to configure. Really screwed up that they just allow you to design as of today.