Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New June invites coming “in the next few days”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been checking habitually since news broke that they've apparently "opened" the design studio for all remaining day 1 holders. My order date was 4/1 but a May-July delivery. Still have not received an email, nor do I have access to the design studio.

I am sure it will be worth the wait. But quite frankly, after testing out a few different 45-60k models from various brands over the past week, I've been drawn to leasing a car. Higher quality interior (I rented a Model 3 in April), more convenient dealer network for warranty repairs, and established brands. Plus, I can get the car today (but I am waiting for various lease brokers to get back to me with deals).

I suspect that by the time I'd get a Model 3, most of the summer will have passed and with it most of my romanticized weekend PCH and camping trips. :(

Plus, I think waiting till after my lease would be up to get a Tesla would provide me with more configuration options as I'm sure they will allow for more cabin options in the near future.

I forgot about the Model Y. That might even be a better fit for me as I'm currently looking at leasing a SUV. Plus, in 3 years I am sure they will have added more interior cabin design options and further refined the 3. Or even possibly offer better leases on the Model S.

I am curious to see how the expiration of the higher tier tax credits and then subsequent lower tier tax credits will impact Tesla prices. Part of their indirect marketing is to advertise the post tax incentive cost of the leases or purchases. I personally don't expect the price to vary drastically -- especially not on the base model -- as that would eat into revenue and we know Tesla isn't making much profit due to their expansion plans and other costs.

However, I'd expect at least SOME reductions in price, as we've already seen with yesterday's $1k decrease in AWD price. And I'm sure that the push for electric models from most of the auto giants will put some pressure on the price.

You have to do what you have to do, cancel and get an ICE. Good things come to those who wait, if not you’ll have to settle for 2nd best.

Advice from a 90k Lexus LS owner. Nothing comes close to the Tesla.

This is some genuine BS. They are clearly back logged AND now are prioritizing performance models. I can clearly kiss my May-July window goodbye. All the while a BRAND NEW reservation has an estimate at 4-6 months. Loyalty begets loyalty.... Yeah right.

They have 4 general assembly lines for Model 3 and only 1 is doing the performance model. There's no way that the performance model alone is shoving your delivery back enough to be complaining about it as the cause.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
They have 4 general assembly lines for Model 3 and only 1 is doing the performance model. There's no way that the performance model alone is shoving your delivery back enough to be complaining about it as the cause.
I'm pretty sure all will be for the performance model since it's basically identical to the AWD model. Looks like they're going to make only performance for Q3. Hopefully they'll finish up all the LR ones that were already ordered before though.

Got my invite 6/27! 4/1/16 reservation. Same Sept to Nov delivery est as others. What happened to July? Think Sep-Nov is just a catch all? What else would they do in August? Think delivery will be prioritized by original res date? Happy for recent reservationists but should be some advantage for those of us giving Tesla a 2+yr loan interest free. Still, way exited. Have to go figure out the plan for Home charging now.

Well.... I finally got to option to configure my 4/28/16 reservation.... So, as a no-owner and ordering online for a LR/RWD/PUP/EAP/FSD and possibly the grandfathered in lifetime Premium Connectivity.... I am on to the next step.... Waiting..... Arrival date - Sept - November...

I'm pretty sure all will be for the performance model since it's basically identical to the AWD model. Looks like they're going to make only performance for Q3. Hopefully they'll finish up all the LR ones that were already ordered before though.

With 4 general assembly lines they could easily do combinations like

* 2 lines performance
* 1 line AWD
* 1 line first available config (PUP + LR)

or

* 1 line performance (which ever GA line has the most output)
* 2 lines AWD (next two highest output lines)
* 1 line first available config (PUP + LR)

we don't have visibility to the number of orders configured post invite for those lines nor do we know the relative output of each line so we don't know the optimal balance.

I have a hard time believing they have >75,000 performance orders out of day 1 reservation holders only and can't find room to make some AWD and first available for other day 1 or day 2 reservation holders that still haven't gotten the invite to config. Remember them, the ones this thread is about? It doesn't have to be a high percentage but keep the queue flowing in some fashion. Make a few of each config each month, even if your primary focus is on the highest price config.

Also if there is a shortage of any single part needed for the performance model or any reason to redesign something on that config they can run AWD or first available during the what would otherwise be down time.

Now about first day reservation holders. There were over 100,000 line waiters. Some of those are waiting for the Standard Range battery pack (SR) and some just want AWD, some already ordered and got their car. There might be 75,000 first day reservation holders wanting cars at this point still, I just don't think 100% of them want a performance trim Model 3.

I'm sure if fresh orders today for the performance trim jump the line you could get a quarters worth in queue no problem. I just don't think they'll make day 1 and day 2 reservation holders wait 2-3 extra months while new orders take precedence.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I went to a SC 2 weeks ago as I wanted to see all the colors on the car so we could decide. That definitely settled it for us. Glad I did now that we got the ability to order today.

I have wanted black all along but they threw a curveball this week by adding obsidian. I just can’t decide.

I am happy they let us order before July 1, at least that gives us free premium connectivity!

Last edited:
You have to do what you have to do, cancel and get an ICE. Good things come to those who wait, if not you’ll have to settle for 2nd best.

Advice from a 90k Lexus LS owner. Nothing comes close to the Tesla.

I know that the Tesla is a great experience.

I gave it more thought today and was teetering on changing my mind. I got the email and decided to check out the builder. My delivery is "3-5" months, which seems the be the case for everyone else. While that is soon, its also a pretty long wait as I currently don't have my own car (it was totaled by a drunk driver).

Very, very tempting. But, I think I'll pass it up for a lease ICE and return to Tesla in a few years.

I know that the Tesla is a great experience.

I gave it more thought today and was teetering on changing my mind. I got the email and decided to check out the builder. My delivery is "3-5" months, which seems the be the case for everyone else. While that is soon, its also a pretty long wait as I currently don't have my own car (it was totaled by a drunk driver).

Very, very tempting. But, I think I'll pass it up for a lease ICE and return to Tesla in a few years.

Glad to hear you made a decision that was best for you. When you need a car, you need a car, there’s no way around it. I was on the fence between the Mercedes CLS and Tesla, glad I made the right choice and bought the Model S, it literally change my life. No more oil changes that cost me $600 a year, gas savings of $150-$200 a month, and freed up a lot of time from pumping gas, maintenance, taking it in the shop, stress, etc. my Lexus cost me about $1k a year for parts and labor once it hit about 100,000 miles, and the LS460!was the highest rated on consumer reports before the Tesla took that title. Never going back to ICE for me.