Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New lower pricing for purchasing solar and drop in referral fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mjptech

Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV
Mar 30, 2019
Ventura
So, it looks like there was a refocus on the Energy team and a drop in pricing again. An updated page for the

The referral fee which was $250 for the roof or panels just changed to $100 (about 5 minutes ago since I started writing this post and noticed that it would still show $250 when clicking through to the panels from the landing page, but, now, it's showing $100 everywhere)

The small system (panels) just went from $10k (and recently from 315W to 340W) down to $8200 before the federal incentives. With incentives, it's listed as

The Powerwall is currently showing as $8500, while over in the solar roof section, it lists $11000... It's just with the panels, it shows as "with $2500 bundle discount" before you add it.

If anyone just did a small purchase, and you're withing your "happiness" period, see if you can get them to adjust the pricing, or, remove it?

So, it looks like there was a refocus on the Energy team and a drop in pricing again. An updated page for the

The referral fee which was $250 for the roof or panels just changed to $100 (about 5 minutes ago since I started writing this post and noticed that it would still show $250 when clicking through to the panels from the landing page, but, now, it's showing $100 everywhere)

The small system (panels) just went from $10k (and recently from 315W to 340W) down to $8200 before the federal incentives. With incentives, it's listed as

The Powerwall is currently showing as $8500, while over in the solar roof section, it lists $11000... It's just with the panels, it shows as "with $2500 bundle discount" before you add it.

If anyone just did a small purchase, and you're withing your "happiness" period, see if you can get them to adjust the pricing, or, remove it?

Very interesting. I noticed the Small system price drop yesterday, but I didn't notice the change to the referral program. I wonder if this means that not-yet-complete referrals will be dropped to $100 or if we'll be grandfathered in.

The website also says $1.49/watt which is down from $1.83/watt as the lowest price for the XL. And I had that 1.83 price but then a redesign to make it bigger increased it to $2/watt. Trying to sort it out with them now.

The $1.49/watt on Tesla's website is after Federal Tax incentives.

The pricing before yesterday’s adjustment was $30,000 for the 16.32 kW solar ($1.84/watt) and another $26,500 for the 4 Powerwalls. That would make my 17 kW solar and 4 Powerwalls come out to $31,250 for the solar and $26,500 for the Powerwalls, totaling $57,750.

Yesterday’s price increase has the 16.32 kW solar at $32,800 (2.01/watt), making my 17 kW solar $34,167 and another $26,500 for the 4 Powerwalls, totaling $60,667, a substantial increase of $2,917.

Hopefully, since the project was already moving forward, I will be locked into the $57,750 pricing instead of the current $60,667.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark

Good lookin' out my man! Appreciate this, I'm about to save almost $4k.

I really don't care anymore about my $250 referral. They can have it lol!

Tesla does not install in my area yet so no local opportunity to promote solar and offer my referral link. Currently shopping an LG Chem battery addition to my StorEdge inverters but a free Powerwall would keep me with Tesla products as I would buy a second at that average price. If only 10 people would DM me. ;)

I don't understand how people can invest in the Solar Glass roof without actually seeing the product. I ordered the system with the understanding that I would be able to see an actual roof. The only roofs they would let me see were what's posted on youtube. I told them that not being able to see an actual installation was a deal breaker, they refunded my deposit. I am still interested, but would have to see an installation first. If Tesla is monitoring this forum please consider the ability to show the product. Tesla car owners are their best ambassadors, owners of the solar roofs should be the same.

Reactions: joefee
I don't understand how people can invest in the Solar Glass roof without actually seeing the product. I ordered the system with the understanding that I would be able to see an actual roof. The only roofs they would let me see were what's posted on youtube. I told them that not being able to see an actual installation was a deal breaker, they refunded my deposit. I am still interested, but would have to see an installation first. If Tesla is monitoring this forum please consider the ability to show the product. Tesla car owners are their best ambassadors, owners of the solar roofs should be the same.

For what it's worth, Tesla actually did ask me if I would be a reference they could give out for solar roof. However, since then I have found (from others on this forum) that they have not supplied my address (or any other address, if there are other installs) to people in my area who inquired. I speculated it might because the project is not officially complete (I literally received PTO today) but I could also believe that they have screwed something up internally - I have to say that in the several months since they started coordinating my install at the beginning of the year, their support and response times have gotten noticeably worse - it seems they are getting rather overwhelmed.

I completely agree with you that Tesla should be leveraging their existing customers much better. The referral credit is a good part of that, but the missing piece is getting potential customers in contact with existing customers (or at least with their roofs.) Much like their cars, I think their solar roof product really has a great (or, at the least, distinctive) look to it, and it makes a ton of sense for them to use that advantage.

I recently started looking at locals installers because, while they can’t compete on price, the device is better. I’m thinking of spending the extra 7500 bucks to go sun power 420w panels and 3 Tesla power walls. The cost is higher but so is the production. Maybe it’s worth it over the long haul. The panels seem better and have less degradation and the power walls are the same—they’re a Tesla certified installer.

I recently started looking at locals installers because, while they can’t compete on price, the device is better. I’m thinking of spending the extra 7500 bucks to go sun power 420w panels and 3 Tesla power walls. The cost is higher but so is the production. Maybe it’s worth it over the long haul. The panels seem better and have less degradation and the power walls are the same—they’re a Tesla certified installer.

As a CPA, I’d love to see the NPV cash flow analysis on this... I think you’re going to be paying a lot more over the long term per Watt going this route.

As a CPA, I’d love to see the NPV cash flow analysis on this... I think you’re going to be paying a lot more over the long term per Watt going this route.

Depends on what is being measured, is it just the spread and growth over time? We need to factor in the increase production of going from 11.34 to 12.5 kW in the price difference and that production spread will increase over time (Sun Power panels degrade markedly less per year vs Hanwha). The Sun Power Panels have an efficiency rating of 22% vs 19.6% which provide even greater production. That being said will it cover the 9+ CAGR you’d probably use? No, but some of the advantages will reduce the growth rate of spread over time.

Then there’s unmeasurable of not dealing with Tesla who’s customer service is famously lacking. On this solar project they’ve been hard to get in touch with and have made basic mistakes, like thinking my gas meter is my electric meter, causing major delays. Looking at an efficient frontier how much risk do I want to assume for the return? After reading the reviews in the link above the additional cost may make my life more peaceful.

From an investment perspective I don’t buy some of the short payback on the investment. In fact if dollars were the driver I’d skip solar entirely. If you look at paying 45,000 after taxes how long is the payback? I know folks look at energy savings, energy credit sales vs the cash investment but what about the lost investment gains? The DJIA has returned ~9.5%, including corporate actions, since inception. If your energy bill averages 150 bucks per month and your energy credits roughly 100 / month that’s 3k per year in return, which is less than your expected average annual return.

I think my motivation for solar is the freedom that comes along with your own production. I also want to ha e a backup energy source, which I’d have done regardless of solar with a natural gas generator. I’m also just enamored with using the sun to produce power and making my own small imprint on a global problem. I’ve purchased two Tesla vehicles in the last 6 months, trading out of an S550 and a Ford Raptor, not only because I like them but I felt pretty good doing it.

I’m not an accountant and didn’t stay at a holiday inn express last night so I’m sure I missed something. It’s an interesting discussion nonetheless. Cheers.

TL;DR I agree it will cost more but not as much as you may think based on panel differences. There’s a cost to customer service, which Tesla is known to be deficient. Solar as an investment always seems to have optimistic views on paybacks that I don’t think are realized. I like solar power because it seems liberating, scientifically interesting and I’ll be making a small but positive impact.