Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Mobile Software - Range on Charge Slider

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there's new software on Android and I believe iOS. When you go to the charge screen and slide the amount of charge you desire, it tells you the miles to expect.

I think there's a big educational piece missing. I hope... I have an SR+, 7 months old, about 8k miles. When I slide it to 100%, it reports 231 miles.

That's a drop of 3.8% in just 7 months or almost 1% every 2k miles. Something is amiss.

Not flipping out just yet, but I need to understand that this is reporting and what it may not be.

Anyone know better what this is saying? Is everyone seeing numbers lower than what they expect?

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz
If you total up all the wasted time from people who are infatuated with the numbers an EV puts on the screen, it's literally costing lives.

Imagine if people who drove ICE vehicles really monitored their MPG and then started concerning themselves with losing ICE efficiency. Prius owners alone would probably kill themselves in stress, finally learning they don't really get 54 MPG when actually driving the car.

Not on iOS App

It is on my iOS Tesla App.

IMG_0094.jpeg

You need version 3.10.2 on iOS (3.10.1 does not have it). If you have automatic app updates it may not immediately pull it. Search for Tesla in the App Store and then click update.

Good new way to see what your predicted 100% charge will be; I'm down to 302 now! Good times. Not lower than I expect though; this is why it's good to keep expectations low. ;)

So battery degradation is a real thing, Tesla doesn’t really put it out there that you’ll see legit loss relatively soon. Just that after X many years you will have at least 70% capacity.

***If you have your car set to % then the slider bar shows %. If you have it set to miles the slider show miles***

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66
Put an ICE on a dynometer after 5 years. Efficiency degradation is a real thing.

I happen to think this is kind of an overstated effect in modern vehicles (meaning less than 15 years old). If anything efficiency may improve slightly (see gradual improvement over my first six years of ownership, with no change in my commute over that period).

Counterexample with detailed data below. Two different time periods for my last vehicle (broken up because I moved in 2010 so had a different commute with worse efficiency from 2010 until I sold the vehicle, and also moved to an iOS tracking app). So that commute change is why the average suddenly shifted from 20mpg or so to 18.5mpg or so in 2010 (you can see the shift pretty clearly in the second image).

Still, spent $25k on gas over the 14 years I owned the vehicle, which was about the same as the depreciation (purchased for ~$34k + tax, sold for $13k). Nothing to write home about. Very thirsty car, though basically was very close to the 24/18 rating. Pumped out a bit over a pound of CO2 per mile. Poor Earth. :(

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 2.47.30 PM.png

IMG_6207.PNG

Last edited:
Just changed the display to Distance and it’s showing 231miles for my SR+ June 2019 build. I’m on 2019.36.2.3 and have been charging to 80% for the past 30days on a 240V but before that it was a total mix of 120V at home the local Supercharger.

I won’t have this car long enough to care enough about the battery degradation. I’ll have moved onto a Performance model or the VW Bus when it comes out

Attachments

• C0548B7E-3E1B-401F-91DF-8773D4368A71.png
    C0548B7E-3E1B-401F-91DF-8773D4368A71.png
    604.8 KB · Views: 54
I noticed the new in-app number works differently from the in-car display when showing a percentage. When showing percentage, setting the limit all the way to full shows 94% in the app (and setting it to the 8/10 line shows 75%, etc). So it's either accounting for degradation, or doing some other adjustment (recent energy use, maybe).

Or it's a bug in the app.

I noticed the new in-app number works differently from the in-car display when showing a percentage. When showing percentage, setting the limit all the way to full shows 94% in the app (and setting it to the 8/10 line shows 75%, etc). So it's either accounting for degradation, or doing some other adjustment (recent energy use, maybe).

Or it's a bug in the app.

Maybe for you, mine shows 100%

Attachments

• A73D3CF1-4BCC-4039-972B-14AC9CE46F6E.png
    A73D3CF1-4BCC-4039-972B-14AC9CE46F6E.png
    515.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: