Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 died in midtown Manhattan during rush hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two days ago, my new Model 3 died in the middle of a busy street in midtown Manhattan during rush hour, tying up traffic for 45 minutes.

I took delivery of my Model 3 one month ago (6/19). After two weeks and 300 miles, got the "replace 12v battery soon" message. Tesla replaced the battery the next day (7/2). As soon as I returned from the service center and parked the car, I got a "low voltage" warning and found the car would not restart. Tesla roadside assistance arranged to have the car towed back to the service center, where it remained for 2 weeks while they tried to diagnose the problem. They finally replaced the PCS and let me know the car was ready to pick up. On my way home from the service center, the car died in the middle of a busy street in midtown Manhattan, tying up traffic for 45 minutes. (Lots of honking and choice words directed my way.) Finally got through to Tesla roadside assistance, who walked me through how to put the vehicle in "towing mode" so it could be rolled out of the way of traffic and arranged to have it towed back to the service center.

I have requested that Tesla take the car back and give me a refund. Does anyone have experience with this process?

Two days ago, my new Model 3 died in the middle of a busy street in midtown Manhattan during rush hour, tying up traffic for 45 minutes.

I took delivery of my Model 3 one month ago (6/19). After two weeks and 300 miles, got the "replace 12v battery soon" message. Tesla replaced the battery the next day (7/2). As soon as I returned from the service center and parked the car, I got a "low voltage" warning and found the car would not restart. Tesla roadside assistance arranged to have the car towed back to the service center, where it remained for 2 weeks while they tried to diagnose the problem. They finally replaced the PCS and let me know the car was ready to pick up. On my way home from the service center, the car died in the middle of a busy street in midtown Manhattan, tying up traffic for 45 minutes. (Lots of honking and choice words directed my way.) Finally got through to Tesla roadside assistance, who walked me through how to put the vehicle in "towing mode" so it could be rolled out of the way of traffic and arranged to have it towed back to the service center.

I have requested that Tesla take the car back and give me a refund. Does anyone have experience with this process?
Not good man. The 12 volt battery on my previous LR RWD was replaced proactively by service. My new LR AWD has a Hankook battery. I thought they only made tires. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to me too.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

I have not had nor heard of anyone having this problem.

You are well within your right to get a refund under the lemon law.

Not good man. The 12 volt battery on my previous LR RWD was replaced proactively by service. My new LR AWD has a Hankook battery. I thought they only made tires. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to me too.

I'm getting my 12V replaced pre-maturely so that I can have a good spare battery in the first 6 months of its life.

My current battery is 24 months old.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
You are well within your right to get a refund under the lemon law.

Not yet. It appears that New York law requires four repair attempts for the same issue before the car qualifies for the lemon law. (Or out of service for 30 days.)

So far they only have 2 repair attempts so they have to let Tesla try two more times, and then if it fails again it can be called a lemon.

Hey how do you put the 3 into tow mode? Just curious. With the 12v dead wouldn't the screen go out?

I wouldn't be happy either. A failure twice at 300 miles they should give you a wallcharger or something for your troubles.

Let me know what route you take home from Manhattan so I don't get stuck in traffic.

• Funny
Reactions: hellocar
Sorry to hear about your experience.

2+ years with a Model 3 and 40+ in the cesspool that this city has turned into again (or always been - depending on your point of view) and zero issues aside from either

a. BAU crumbling infra wear and tear b . concrete jungle car ownership normal

Not yet. It appears that New York law requires four repair attempts for the same issue before the car qualifies for the lemon law. (Or out of service for 30 days.)

So far they only have 2 repair attempts so they have to let Tesla try two more times, and then if it fails again it can be called a lemon.

Who has Tesla ever forced to invoke the Law?

Do they want that court case?

OP - turn it in if you want. - for goodness sake....they have had it longer than you have.

Reactions: M109Rider
Who has Tesla ever forced to invoke the Law?

The first one we know of was in 2014: 1st Purported Lemon-Law Suit Against Tesla Filed In Wis. - Law360 and there is this one in 2016: Tesla Model X owner files for Lemon Law protection claiming unfixable defects But most don't make the news.

I have seen multiple people that have had to follow the process, which normally starts with arbitration. A number ended up moving onto a law suit. But most of the time if there really is a problem they couldn't fix in a reasonable number of attempts/times Tesla will go through with a non-lemon law buy back without the hassle.

I agree that being without the car for multiple weeks is very frustrating. However, I think the best thing to do here is to give Tesla another chance to fix it. Make clear to them in a calm, professional (but very firm) way that you're very concerned about this, and expect a loaner car while they are sorting It out. BMW or Honda wouldn't be refunding the car after two breakdowns like that, so why would we expect Tesla to do so? Obviously if this happens enough times to qualify for the lemon law, then at that point it would be reasonable to use the law to apply pressure to them.

Communication is important when you are working with a partner on a difficult problem like this. Any angry behavior (hopefully there wasn't any since you didn't mention it) will just make them not want to keep you updated and less likely to advocate for your interests internally when decisions are being made.

> But most of the time if there really is a problem they couldn't fix in a reasonable number of attempts/times Tesla will go through with a non-lemon law buy back without the hassle.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I agree that being without the car for multiple weeks is very frustrating. However, .

I don't believe there is a "however".

He is not just out of a brand new car for a few weeks.... he is out of the money he paid for it at the same time.

He is owed a brand new/replacement car at the least. Let them fix their brand new broken car.

For goodness sake....Tesla can't claim the lemon its used - because it hasn't been.

My personal experience with a bad vehicle is they force you to sue using the lemon law. When you get an attorney they inform you 30 days out of service, or 4 unsuccessful attempts to repair the vehicle. Then a demand letter to repair is sent to manufacturer. Most manufacturers have a department that handles the requests. It is in their best financial interest to to initiate a "goodwill" repurchase. By doing this the vehicle is not forever branded a lemon, saving some value. In my instance the vehicle was sent off to auction very far from the servicing dealer.
Note of interest, attorney advertise "If I am successful in winning the case you pay nothing". When the manufacturer offers you a re purchase that is not a successful lemon law case in the eyes of the lawyer....Meaning you pay them for the service.

Last edited:

This sounds excessive and irrational to me.
Clearly there’s a problem. They will fix it, life will go on.
A lot of people here, on this thread seem to have a need to create excessive drama in their life.
Just let them fix it, and this frustrating blip will be gone.

Although, if fighting, suing, and drama is more enjoyable than driving the car, I guess that explains it.

This sounds excessive and irrational to me.
Clearly there’s a problem. They will fix it, life will go on.
A lot of people here, on this thread seem to have a need to create excessive drama in their life.
Just let them fix it, and this frustrating blip will be gone.

Although, if fighting, suing, and drama is more enjoyable than driving the car, I guess that explains it.

He tried to let them fix it - TWICE since ownership started in June.

going back in yet again after getting him stranded - DOWNTOWN Manhattan. Have you ever been there? OMG

The drama isn't his. Its Tesla's.

I don't believe there is a "however".

He is not just out of a brand new car for a few weeks.... he is out of the money he paid for it at the same time.

He is owed a brand new/replacement car at the least. Let them fix their brand new broken car.

For goodness sake....Tesla can't claim the lemon its used - because it hasn't been.

Regardless of how frustrating the situation is for OP, he is not "OWED a brand new car at the least", if by "owed" you mean legally that tesla has to do something other than attempt to fix it 2 more times before lemon law can be enacted.

What you "feel" they should do has no bearing on what they "have" to do. and hopefully OP remembers that when speaking with them. Tesla might decide to take it back prematurely to make the OP happy, but if the OP goes all "scorched earth" like you are sounding, they will likely circle the wagon and start quoting the laws on what they HAVE to do.

If I was OP, I would also be asking for a replacement car, as I would be frustrated with the current one, but I would NOT be invoking any terms like "lemon law" in my discussion with them. A lemon law claim is a specific legal thing, and once you start down that path, there willl be no more "good will" gestures etc, tesla (and any other manufacturer) will do exactly what they HAVE to do.

Like most things, its all in how one approaches them. Rolling up to tesla (or any manufacturer) with the "you have to give me a new replacement car" attitude will go no where, except for them to start saying "well, what we have to do, is fix it, in two more times.