Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the concerns about using turn signals in round a bouts, but in USA 99.999% of intersections are conventional intersections.
Yup.

Signaling when changing lanes and signaling when turning at an intersection make up the bulk of our interactions with turn signals. In both scenarios, the wheel is mostly straight and muscle memory kicks in.

Trying to think of other situations: merging on/off the highway, signaling to indicate that you’re pulling into a parking space in a shopping center… all non issues.

When pulling out of a tight parallel parking spot, it will work far better to turn on the indicator before beginning to crank the steering wheel hard to exit. I suppose this maneuver can be learned, but it will not come naturally (at least for me).

Thanks Eddie, that was a great description of the routine behavior of the stalkless system. Can you comment on some of the non-routine behaviors?
How do you drive without the seatbelt?
Does the auto-shift logic only work with walls and curbs? I noticed that you manually shifted for that 3-point turn.
Does the swipe shifter continually appear and disappear, every time you cross the 5mph threshold throughout your entire drive? Or does it sometimes require the brake pedal to appear?
How does the button shifting work? Does it illuminate automatically whenever the screen is rebooting? Does it illuminate at night? Do rogue pizza slices ever slide up against it and throw you into reverse?
How does shifting work when you're on the Gauss pedal and driving at 5mph? Does it still only require the brake pedal if you've tried to shift too many times above 5mph?
Do the turn signals always work? Or are they unreliable like the 3/Y stalks or unresponsive like a cheap microwave? Does a long press disable the automatic cancellation for a multiple lane change? Have they made any improvements to the hysteresis logic to help with the issue of trying to cancel or re-initiate the signal just before/after auto-cancellation?

And what about the other buttons? In my 3, I sometimes accidentally mute the radio when trying to make a voice command, or change my cruise control speed instead of the music volume. How often do you fail to remember where the buttons are or struggle to find them in a panic? The turn signals are pretty easy to find but the others are much more vague. And the random mix of functions seems like it would be hard to remember. I could certainly imagine trying to flash someone as a warning not to pull out in front of me and hitting the windshield wiper instead.

Thanks Eddie, that was a great description of the routine behavior of the stalkless system. Can you comment on some of the non-routine behaviors?
Does the auto-shift logic only work with walls and curbs? I noticed that you manually shifted for that 3-point turn.
Does the swipe shifter continually appear and disappear, every time you cross the 5mph threshold throughout your entire drive? Or does it sometimes require the brake pedal to appear?
How does the button shifting work? Does it illuminate automatically whenever the screen is rebooting? Does it illuminate at night? Do rogue pizza slices ever slide up against it and throw you into reverse?
How does shifting work when you're on the Gauss pedal and driving at 5mph? Does it still only require the brake pedal if you've tried to shift too many times above 5mph?
Do the turn signals always work? Or are they unreliable like the 3/Y stalks or unresponsive like a cheap microwave? Does a long press disable the automatic cancellation for a multiple lane change? Have they made any improvements to the hysteresis logic to help with the issue of trying to cancel or re-initiate the signal just before/after auto-cancellation?

And what about the other buttons? In my 3, I sometimes accidentally mute the radio when trying to make a voice command, or change my cruise control speed instead of the music volume. How often do you fail to remember where the buttons are or struggle to find them in a panic? The turn signals are pretty easy to find but the others are much more vague. And the random mix of functions seems like it would be hard to remember. I could certainly imagine trying to flash someone as a warning not to pull out in front of me and hitting the windshield wiper instead.
The auto shift does not work without wearing your seatbelt. If you are just moving around in a driveway or parking lot without a seatbelt, you have to manually swipe the selector.
It works with just about any scenario for shifting out of park where vision can tell where you shouldn't be going, for instance, if you are in a parking lot at the edge of grass with no curb, just cement into grass, it will pick the appropriate direction. You still have to shift by swiping for maneuvers while not in park, such as parallel parking and 3 point turns.
It does appear and disappear when slowing down, not always at a specific speed, but it's not distracting.
With a screen failure, those buttons automatically light up, otherwise you can tap both scroll wheels once for about a second to force them to appear, otherwise they are inactive.
it waits for a stop before changing, for instance, if you unbuckle while slowing down, it will slow to a stop then shift to park. if you shift in reverse from drive, it will slow down to a stop then shift. It works well even if you are swiping in a hurry.
I've not yet had any issues with the turn signals not working. When you do multiple lanes, as long as you don't linger in a lane for too long, it will "know" you are going across multiple lanes and stay on until it thinks you are in the intended lane. If you have to wait in a lane for another car before proceeding, it will require another press. There has been no lag so far and each press is responsive.
The horn is the only thing that is easily missed in a panic to me so far. I'm glad they fixed this with highland and made the good old fashioned slam the center to beep.

recommend you go drive an S and many of your questions will be answered

When you do multiple lanes, as long as you don't linger in a lane for too long, it will "know" you are going across multiple lanes and stay on until it thinks you are in the intended lane.

Yeah, this is precisely the problem. It's great that it "knows", but I need to know that it knows because it only knows 50% of the time and I guess wrong 50% of the time so 100% of the time it fails to signal for a second lane change because either I trusted it and neither of us signaled, or I doubted it and both of us signaled and canceled each other. They really need to fix this by adding some logic wherein if I signal in the same direction right before/after an auto-cancel, it should keep signaling. Plus, they should make a long press (or stalk detent) be conventionally latching, even in auto mode.

But anyway, it is good to know that stalkless cars have the ability to detect the turn signal button quickly. The 3/Y stalk can only detect fairly slow presses, and even 20K miles into the car I still can't consistently press it slowly enough to get it to work as often as it should.

I like this update. I think the new front and rear lights and the slight body shape design changes for reduced wind resistance alone make it worth it. I do like the interior and don't care whether there are stalks or not. The only thing that would give me pause is if there isn't a performance version. Hopefully, we'll be hearing about it soon.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I like this update as well, and price being equal, I prefer it over the current Model 3. But the current inventory Model 3 can be had at a good discount, and with the expected price bump of the new Model 3, I'm not sure which one is the better value.
Probably the new one, once Highland is in the wild - unless enough ppl really can’t handle the no stalks issue, current M3 will see another step down in residual values. Money is money though, so saving what might amount to be ~ 12-15K now with all the discounts offered for not having a new version of the same model could certainly be of value to many.

I understand the concerns about using turn signals in round a bouts, but in USA 99.999% of intersections are conventional intersections.
Used to be like that in the mid-sized US town I live in North Carolina but in the past three years, they have been converting many intersections to roundabouts. I believe the trend is that also here in the US, we will get more and more roundabouts. Also, as far as I recall, the last time I drove to DC, they also had many roundabouts there.

Nevertheless, I agree with many here that before you try it out, you cannot be sure if you will really miss the stalks. I do not like the removal but think that I could adapt with time.

Used to be like that in the mid-sized US town I live in North Carolina but in the past three years, they have been converting many intersections to roundabouts. I believe the trend is that also here in the US, we will get more and more roundabouts. Also, as far as I recall, the last time I drove to DC, they also had many roundabouts there.

Nevertheless, I agree with many here that before you try it out, you cannot be sure if you will really miss the stalks. I do not like the removal but think that I could adapt with time.
Agreed. There are plenty of roundabouts in Sarasota, but since it’s Florida, drivers don’t seem to bother using turn signals.
I believe there is a plan to add roundabouts up and down Tamiami Trail (US 41)

I think I’ll be good with the turn signal buttons in the Highland M3 as reviews have said that the haptic feedback is so good, but there may be isolated circumstances where it is less convenient. As to turning them on when you are in the middle of a turn (e.g., a roundabout), I have found that reaching for the turn signal stalk can also be troublesome, but not insurmountable.

Just wanting to chime in as a Norwegian due to the Bjørn video, however it might be like this in other countries; here if you're going left in a roundabout you have to signal to the left, then halfway through the roundabout you have to signal out to the right; indicating that you're about to leave the roundabout. There's no way I'm upgrading to a Highland.

Well maybe if there's a Highland "plaid".

• Love
Reactions: Adam3