Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I read somewhere that there are more differences between the current Model 3 and the Highland Model 3 than there is between current 3 and Y. Maybe the 3 and Y are the same car? Kidding of course.

Joking aside, I don't think the Highland was supposed to be a different car but rather a "refresh" which seems to imply same overall car with significant tweaks and no one can deny there is quite a significant number of tweaks including interior, exterior, weight reduction, structural improvements, efficiency improvements, etc. It seems there are more changes for the Highland refresh compared to other manufacturers who are doing a refresh to their existing models. Depending on one's definition of "same", that's somewhat subjective. Are there carry-over items? Absolutely yes. Are there many changes? Also yes.

Thought I read somewhere that there are more differences between the current Model 3 and the Highland Model 3 than there is between current 3 and Y. Maybe the 3 and Y are the same car? Kidding of course.

Joking aside, I don't think the Highland was supposed to be a different car but rather a "refresh" which seems to imply same overall car with significant tweaks and no one can deny there is quite a significant number of tweaks including interior, exterior, weight reduction, structural improvements, efficiency improvements, etc. It seems there are more changes for the Highland refresh compared to other manufacturers who are doing a refresh to their existing models. Depending on one's definition of "same", that's somewhat subjective. Are there carry-over items? Absolutely yes. Are there many changes? Also yes.
I appreciate and agree with your calm and intuitive assessment of the situation, free from font text size psychoanalysis. This weekend I'll be running the new H6 video cable for the front bumper camera. It looks fantastic.

I appreciate and agree with your calm and intuitive assessment of the situation, free from font text size psychoanalysis. This weekend I'll be running the new H6 video cable for the front bumper camera. It looks fantastic.
A front bumper camera would be such a welcome feature. Pulling up to parking lot dividers is such a guessing game and worse for those who are lowered and/or have front lip spoilers. Post a pic!

A front bumper camera would be such a welcome feature. Pulling up to parking lot dividers is such a guessing game and worse for those who are lowered and/or have front lip spoilers. Post a pic!
as someone who lives in the snow belt a front bumper camera would likely be useless for me about 6 months out of the year. Salt and road spray make it difficult to keep the windshield clear so a bumper camera would be hopeless. In this respect, ultrasonic sensors are much better - they're far more resistant to road grime and other obstructions.

For occasional parking use it may be acceptable but it would completely fail as an integral part of FSD or TACC

A set of these attached to the front of the car solves the problem...

iu

Maybe a tiny littler wiper over the camera?

(Yes: I am joking)

That would scratch up the lens very quickly with all the sand that is on the roads during winter.
Another thing is that ice buildup would burn that wiper motor after a few days.

I have lost count how many times the radar has been blocked because of snow and ice on the front bumper while driving.

Last edited:
That would scratch up the lens very quickly with all the sand that is on the roads during winter.
Another thing is that ice buildup would burn that wiper motor after a few days.

I have lost count how many times the radar has been blocked because of snow and ice on the front bumper while driving.
You missed the smaller second line of my post (now in full size):

"(Yes: I am joking)"

It can be done. Not a wiper on the lens, but a protective flat glass shield over the lens and a wiper and washer on that glass.

Makes the whole thing more expensive though and requires regular maintenance. I doubt that we will see that soon on our Teslas.

I had it ordered with a trailer hitch, but could not get it soon. For certain reasons it is very advantageous for me to get the car very soon.

So I removed the trailer hitch from my order, and 5 min later I had VIN and invoice for delivery in about two weeks.

I have quite believable, but not absolutely certain indications that a trailer hitch retrofit by Tesla is possible or will be possible at some time next year. I would like certainty though.

I had it ordered with a trailer hitch, but could not get it soon. For certain reasons it is very advantageous for me to get the car very soon.

So I removed the trailer hitch from my order, and 5 min later I had VIN and invoice for delivery in about two weeks.

I have quite believable, but not absolutely certain indications that a trailer hitch retrofit by Tesla is possible or will be possible at some time next year. I would like certainty though.

If Tesla can't give you certainty, no one else can! If they've done the paperwork correctly this time around with Highland, there's no reason it shouldn't be possible without all that 0 kg tow rating nonsense, even if it has to be aftermarket, but no one except Tesla knows currently.

I've seen all the early Model 3 Highland "fluff" reviews from other countries, and I assume that the updated US version of the Model 3 is basically the same. They all say the same thing...... 50% of the parts are redesigned; therefore improved mileage; better aerodynamic design; new exciting colors; super-duper Alcantara dashboards; ventilated seats; etc. In all fairness, I do like the the addition of the steel hook on the car doors, but the reality is that the new Model 3 is basically the same warmed-over car, and the whole world of automotive manufacturers is passing Tesla by.
I'm sure all the other Automotive manufacturers are thinking "thank God and thanks so much to nails for exposing the dated and unappealing technology Tesla is relying on. We were worried, because our sales are in the toilet compared to Tesla, but now we know we just have to sit back and watch the money roll in as their sales will crater once people realize how inferior their technology really is. Thank God for nails - he exposed the lies behind the Model 3 highland. We should hire him!"

Last edited:
I'm sure all the other Automotive manufacturers are thinking "thank God and thanks so much to nails for exposing the dated and unappealing technology Tesla is relying on. We were worried, because our sales are in the toilet compared to Tesla, but now we know we just have to sit back and watch the money roll in as their sales will crater once people realize how inferior their technology really is. Thank God for nails - he exposed the lies behind the Model 3 highland. We should hire him!"

Not to mention that Audi has temporary shutdown one of their EV factories because they don't sell well and Polestar just filed for $1bn equity raise.

While the new Model 3 is selling like crazy with multiple ships on the way from China to EU and more are being sendt all the time.
And Model Y is braking sales records in multiple countries.