Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all other manufacturers are realizing how difficult it is to create a commodity product to compete with Tesla.
Some, like GM, severely underestimated what it takes to make a legitimate ev. While others like Hyundai, have done much better but just can't compete when you look at the entire package.

But, different strokes, and there are some choices out there. Competition is good. It finally got Tesla's ass into gear and start improving and giving customers some added value.

Reactions: Heckraiser
What do you do during the time it is cold, but mostly non-snow or occasional light snow? That would be the time when summer tires work poorly (because it is cold) or are dangerous (in an unexpected snow), but winter tires work poorly (since it is mostly non-snow).
Good winter tires work really well in the cold+dry and cold+wet, not just cold+snow. The compound stays soft in cold temperatures providing better grip in non-snow conditions as compared to summer (of course) but also all-season. I use winter vs. all-season tires on our cars. I have noticed that in some cases winter tires actually have a better grip in cold+wet than all-season tires in warm+wet - better at channeling water out of the way perhaps? My winters are directional, all-seasons are not.

I noticed one thing that none of the reviewers has mentioned so far and that it is no longer possible to select Roll, Creep or Hold any more. Only hold is available and can't select regen power.

I don't mind since I use hold in my current M3, but I would like the ability to reduce the regen during winter to prevent sliding when it is slippery.

I noticed one thing that none of the reviewers has mentioned so far and that it is no longer possible to select Roll, Creep or Hold any more. Only hold is available and can't select regen power.

I don't mind since I use hold in my current M3, but I would like the ability to reduce the regen during winter to prevent sliding when it is slippery.

They removed the regen selection a while back, not just for the Highland.

Are you sure? It's under
Controls > Pedals & Steering > Stopping Mode

They removed the regen selection a while back, not just for the Highland.
He's not talking about Regen strength selection, but rather the stopping mode. Tesla never removed the stopping mode selection (Roll, Creep, or Hold), so it would be news if Highland did.

Are you sure? It's under
Controls > Pedals & Steering > Stopping Mode

He's not talking about Regen strength selection, but rather the stopping mode. Tesla never removed the stopping mode selection (Roll, Creep, or Hold), so it would be news if Highland did.
I am sure, I test drove one few days ago and it didn't have the option and it is also not in the user manual for Highland

Here is the English EU manual:

I meant both Regen strength and stopping mode. For some reason I remember seeing a patch note mention that they re-added the Regen strength option to some cars, but I may confuse that with something else.

Reactions: EVMeister
Don't you control regen/braking via the pedal? How is that different than controlling braking speed with the brake pedal?
It’s different due to habits. There is a tendency to remove feet from pedals to reduce braking force. Unfortunately this leads to more braking.

With practice, it is probably equivalent, once you learn how to correctly modulate it, but it is hard to keep pushing the accelerator when you feel the car is sliding and won’t be able to stop!

Probably it’ll never be as direct as brake modulation either since the car itself will be reducing regen in response to traction loss before you even get a chance to reduce it (unlike braking, where in the typical case you must apply brakes for braking force to be reduced by the vehicle).