Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much does it cost Tesla to add a dual function switch to the steering wheel and another backup shift method/indicator not to mention the complexity of programming/incorporating the auto shift function into the vehicle. My guess is it maybe a wash at the end of the day.
pennies. a couple micro-switches and updated clockspring. A pc mouse is more expensive.

and software is always the preferred choice. Zero sku's added, software updated, no parts, no inventory, no vendors, streamlined assembly.

Reactions: Seattle
The retail price of a basic vw two stalk assembly is aroung $350
Not including inventory, assembly line steps, added sku's which add much more $ per unit to Tesla.

Even at your theoretical $100/car, you just saved Tesla $52.3M in 2023 on the M3.
Even at $25/car, that's $13.2M.
Not including all the additional costs to keep those sku's

Saving over $26M in two years is a significant cost savings.
1. You can’t look at retail price. Consumer cost for replacement parts is significantly more expensive
2. Your price is too high.
3. Your volume calculation is exactly why companies go down the toilet. They use volume cost savings as a justification and nickel and dime the car down to a Chrysler.

Last edited:
1. You can’t look at retail price. Consumer cost for replacement parts is significantly more expensive
2. Your price is too high.
3. Your volume calculation is exactly why companies go down the toilet. They use volume cost savings as a justification and nickel and dime the car down to a Chrysler.
1. I didn't.
2. what's the price?
3. that's exactly right.

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
If enough of the people share the same opinion, and cast their vote with their wallets, the company will listen.

And now you’re starting to understand why stalks have been universal for 100 years! Nothing to do with lack of innovation or resisting change. They are simply better than anything else tried and customers want what works best.

Sorry all this pretentious rhetoric about taking big swings and sometimes missing doesn’t apply here at all. Removing stalks is no big swing at revolutionising the driver interface - it’s being cheap and hoping they can get away with it.

I think Tesla still lead in enough areas they just about can get away with it for now, but people will and are already voting with their wallets. As others catch up Tesla will have to stop doing dumb stuff like this just because no one can say no to Elon.

Getting away from the stalk question….

The ventilated seats seemed quite nice. I only took a brief drive and I don’t know if they were actually on or not but they seemed noticeably cooler than the unventilated seats in my Y. I’m assuming they come on automatically with the A/C?

Does anyone have longer term experience with them? Are liquid spills an issue at all?

The ventilated seats seemed quite nice. I only took a brief drive and I don’t know if they were actually on or not but they seemed noticeably cooler than the unventilated seats in my Y. I’m assuming they come on automatically with the A/C?

Does anyone have longer term experience with them? Are liquid spills an issue at all?
MSP granted should be similar. I set mine to auto and they come on automatically. Noticeable difference compared to our previous 2020 Y. Those black seats while comfortable were very warm in a short time.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I’m assuming they come on automatically with the A/C?
Pretty sure they do just like the MS. works just like heated seats and heated steering wheel, everything has an auto mode and must say it is great. Here is a screen shot in the app I just took after I turned on climate. As can be seen the car decided to turn on the ventilated seats to a medium setting while conditioning the car.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 11.57.57.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 11.57.57.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
And now you’re starting to understand why stalks have been universal for 100 years! Nothing to do with lack of innovation or resisting change. They are simply better than anything else tried and customers want what works best.

Sorry all this pretentious rhetoric about taking big swings and sometimes missing doesn’t apply here at all. Removing stalks is no big swing at revolutionising the driver interface - it’s being cheap and hoping they can get away with it.

I think Tesla still lead in enough areas they just about can get away with it for now, but people will and are already voting with their wallets. As others catch up Tesla will have to stop doing dumb stuff like this just because no one can say no to Elon.
well said

huge eye roll here... you claim you didn't quote a retail cost but then don't know the bulk price to the manufacturer meaning your full of 💩. Since there's no point arguing with someone who can't make a point I won't bother to respond further.
You need to read what you wrote. You're countering your own arguments.
I responded to your comments accurately. Resorting to name calling isn't the best way to argue a point.

You have to go into the HVAC menu to turn on the vented seats, or you can leave them on "auto" and let the car decide. But you can customize the screen to give you a vented seat button at the bottom of the screen (which I did in my car). They are definitely a nice feature for a sweaty guy like me. No spills yet, and I hope to keep it that way :eek: