Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
exaggerate much? I can remember 1 time in 4 years I had a reboot while driving and I Think that was for a camera calibration. You clearly have something wrong with your car.

I've had to reboot at least 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months or so. Various items always need a reboot such as no connectivity, no radio, camera issues, phone key not detected issues, and the random reboot in the middle of a drive.

Reactions: afadeev
Dials, buttons, levers - all interface elements you can engage without taking your eyes on the road.

Personally, I prefer physical shift levers (prefer manual tranny, actually), but have driven cars with buttons and dials as well.

Other than the large shifters in older cars, I highly doubt people aren't taking a glance at the console mounted button/knob/lever to use it. I don't have direct experience with those, but for the AC knobs/buttons of my old car, I take a glance at them to use them. Sure, if you force people to never look off the road and feel around to find it, eventually they may find it, but I doubt anyone actually uses it that way.

This is different from the stalk, where you don't have to take your hands off the wheel, and it's much closer, so much easier to quickly locate by feel alone.
I don't know, and neither do you - Tesla is too cheap to put a real HUD into its vehicles.
BTW, that would have been really nice, and it would be an extra for which I would pay $$$$.

Unfortunately, the touch-screen is not a heads-up-display, nor does it provide any tactile feedback. And, it crashes and goes black on your every other week (or sometimes you have to reboot it manually). That leaves one with clumsy physical back-up buttons at the least ergonomic and least intuitive location in the car - the roof.

Lets admit it - sometimes Tesla does flat out dumb stuff.
This is one of those situations.
No need to invents excuses for this.

a
I have done a reboot probably once or twice in my so far 3 year ownership of the car, so something is wrong with your car if you get a black screen every other week.

Reactions: Yelobird
I've had to reboot at least 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months or so. Various items always need a reboot such as no connectivity, no radio, camera issues, phone key not detected issues, and the random reboot in the middle of a drive.
Sounds like something is wrong with your car. I have had mine for 2 years and 28,000 miles and never have had to do that.

Tesla is too cheap to put a real HUD into its vehicles.
BTW, that would have been really nice, and it would be an extra for which I would pay $$$$.
I have had HUD in 2 previous vehicles, never again. Why? I swear by polarized sunglasses and HUD disappears when using them. Ended up getting non polarized prescription glasses however never got used to HUD even after 4 year with it. You need to try it to realize it is not that great at all.

Reactions: cusetownusa
We have hit the height of comedy when there are aftermarket turn signals and gear select levers to make up for Tesla's cheapness.

There are many upgrades to the 3 that should have been done a long time ago. It's good, but to look at switchgear as a way to massively reduce cost and eliminate sku's on the assembly line is just a bridge too far.

The only attractive thing about the 3 is the price. It's a good value for a ev.
But as much as I love the Y, we are not going to buy another Tesla.

NACS is being adopted by others and the build quality and attention to detail is far beyond Tesla.
Tesla should have had the Highland out years ago, and a Juniper Y as well. Even with the covid years as an excuse, they have continued to focused on profit and cost cutting instead of adding value to the consumer and brand. With how massive their margins are, it's shameful we are still at this point with the 3 and Y.

The cybertruck is a manufacturing embarassment. The 3 is now lacking basic driving functionality. The Y is basic, well rounded but should be much higher quality at this point. The S and X are showroom door stops at this point.

The rest of the ev competition can't match Tesla's software but i'm waiting a couple years because a lot of interesting product is coming.
Now that NACS is becoming the standard in NA, no real reason to stay with Tesla.

exaggerate much?

Nope.
Undercounting.
EVERY time I depart the parking garage at work, the Nav and audio streaming (when I had premium connectivity) would lock up due to lack of wireless coverage and inability to reacquire it in under 5-10 minutes. Luckily, I know how to drive home from work. Usually, I could accelerate bringing those back to life by rebooting the infotainment screen. But not always. Eventually, I gave up bothering to do so.

Then there is the obligatory crash when you change wheel's diameter in TPMS (summer <-> winter tires).
Fun times.

I can remember 1 time in 4 years I had a reboot while driving and I Think that was for a camera calibration. You clearly have something wrong with your car.

Consider using the <search> button on this forum to dispel your naivite.

HTH,
a

We have hit the height of comedy when there are aftermarket turn signals and gear select levers to make up for Tesla's cheapness.

There are many upgrades to the 3 that should have been done a long time ago. It's good, but to look at switchgear as a way to massively reduce cost and eliminate sku's on the assembly line is just a bridge too far. [...]

The rest of the ev competition can't match Tesla's software but i'm waiting a couple years because a lot of interesting product is coming.
Now that NACS is becoming the standard in NA, no real reason to stay with Tesla.
I've had a similar feeling, opening up NACS mean you can get a different car. Hopefully Tesla will add other vehicles and ship their official adapters (Rivan and Ford owners have no timeline and very slow roll out, as in by Dec this year they won't have shipped many). I have a 10 year old S, I want to buy a new one, but it just feels stupid to buy aftermarket gear selector and turn signals. I fantasized that the fed safety groups would decide they are requirements as a way to get the back.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I have had HUD in 2 previous vehicles, never again. Why? I swear by polarized sunglasses and HUD disappears when using them.

I have quality HUD in my ///M3.
Works perfectly well with polarized glasses.

Love it.
Especially when driving at night, when you can project directions through HUD, and turn off the stupid screen in the middle of the car, eliminating the distractions.

Ended up getting non polarized prescription glasses however never got used to HUD even after 4 year with it. You need to try it to realize it is not that great at all.

When done well, it's awesome.
When done poorly, well, it's suboptimal. Like everything in life that's done half-assed.

YMMV,
a

• Love
Reactions: SalisburySam
Dials, buttons, levers, steering column paddles - all interface elements you can engage without taking your eyes off the road.

Personally, I prefer physical shift levers (prefer manual tranny, actually), but have driven cars with buttons and dials for gear shifting as well.

I don't know, and neither do you - Tesla is too cheap to put a real HUD into its vehicles.
BTW, that would have been really nice, and it would be an extra feature3 for which I would pay happily $$$$.

Unfortunately, the touch-screen is not a heads-up-display, nor does it provide any tactile feedback. And, it crashes and goes black on you every other week (or sometimes you have to reboot it manually). That leaves one with clumsy physical back-up buttons at the least ergonomic and least intuitive location in the car - the roof.

Lets admit it - sometimes Tesla does flat out dumb stuff.
This is one of those situations.
No need to invents excuses for this.

a
Looking down at a shift dial is better than looking up at a screen? I can still see the road when I look at the Model 3 screen, but I can't do that when I am looking down at a shift dial on the console on some ICE cars that I have rented. I have gotten quite adept at using the screen while still paying attention to my driving, and have come to prefer it to using the confusing array of physical buttons, paddles, levers and dials on standard vehicles that I have driven. And I don't understand the comment on the screen crashing and going black. I have had a Model 3 LR for more than 4 years and this has never happened to me. Not once.

Reactions: Yelobird
Looking down at a shift dial is better than looking up at a screen? I can still see the road when I look at the Model 3 screen, but I can't do that when I am looking down at a shift dial on the console on some ICE cars that I have rented. I have gotten quite adept at using the screen while still paying attention to my driving, and have come to prefer it to using the confusing array of physical buttons, paddles, levers and dials on standard vehicles that I have driven. And I don't understand the comment on the screen crashing and going black. I have had a Model 3 LR for more than 4 years and this has never happened to me. Not once.
As a rule, a touch screen is more distracting - you need to look at the screen to see where the icon is, then try to steady your hand to touch in the correct spot. Physical controls can be operated with minimal to no deviance of gaze.

This isn’t much of an issue for gear selection as you are generally stopped (although I can think of cases where the ability to quickly shift gears is important.) for other functions it matters a bit more.

As a rule, a touch screen is more distracting - you need to look at the screen to see where the icon is, then try to steady your hand to touch in the correct spot. Physical controls can be operated with minimal to no deviance of gaze.

This isn’t much of an issue for gear selection as you are generally stopped (although I can think of cases where the ability to quickly shift gears is important.) for other functions it matters a bit more.
But the thing is the type of small shifters he is talking about, they aren't big enough of a target to use without looking at them. He's not talking about the big shifters of the old days.

And that reminds me, even the old shifters, I looked it up before and people actually typically look down at them to change between drive and reverse:

There are probably very few people that do it completely by feel alone.

Reactions: chinney