Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 LR AWD cars no longer have Homelink installed in the factory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a LR AWD in dark silver metallic back in Feb. It was my wife's car and she totaled it, and the insurance company (LIberty Mutual) took care of us so I order a new red Model 3 LR AWD car to replace it. I picked up the car this weekend, and there is no Homelink anymore in the LR AWD cars standard. You have to purchase it online from Tesla for $300 after the fact and make a service appointment, wait for the install and then finally you have the capability that used to be in the Model 3s that were sold before June 1.

The price is a little high IMHO, and Tesla decided to remove something that was in the car from the beginning without any notice.

There is nothing saying anywhere that this is not included anymore, and I doubt that it said it included it before.

Tesla should not have removed this useful feature. What comes next to be removed?

I bought a LR AWD in dark silver metallic back in Feb. It was my wife's car and she totaled it, and the insurance company (LIberty Mutual) took care of us so I order a new red Model 3 LR AWD car to replace it. I picked up the car this weekend, and there is no Homelink anymore in the LR AWD cars standard. You have to purchase it online from Tesla for $300 after the fact and make a service appointment, wait for the install and then finally you have the capability that used to be in the Model 3s that were sold before June 1.

The price is a little high IMHO, and Tesla decided to remove something that was in the car from the beginning without any notice.

There is nothing saying anywhere that this is not included anymore, and I doubt that it said it included it before.

Tesla should not have removed this useful feature. What comes next to be removed?

There were numerous news stories and threads on here when this was announced a few weeks ago....for example-

Tesla removes Homelink from standard Model 3 features, now a $300 aftermarket product - Electrek

I feel your pain but they need to be profitable for the good of us all. They also removed the 14-50 pigtail and the phone cables.

In the end, it was this or raise the price of the car. I am guess their marketing people decided they would lose less car sales removing these items, then by raising the price of the car to keep those items standard equipment.

Tesla being a healthy profitable company is in the best interest of all of the owners.

This is really no different than how all other automakers have removed items like Spare Tires, Roadside Emergency Kits, First Aid kits, Tire pumps, etc...

It definitely feels a little disappointing to be nickel and dimed from a premium car manufacture. Our old 2004 Toyota came standard with Homelink, and even the performance Model 3 costing over 60k still requires a separate purchase and appointment to get such basic functionality. Add on the lack of USB cables, no 14-50 adapter, and the best of all - no floor mats in SR+/- models. That being said, I absolutely love my new Model 3 but I have a really hard time standing behind a company that doesn't include FLOOR MATS in a $40k+ car. Even a Toyota Yaris (under $16k) comes with floor mats.

I feel your pain but they need to be profitable for the good of us all. They also removed the 14-50 pigtail and the phone cables.
...This is really no different than how all other automakers have removed items like Spare Tires, Roadside Emergency Kits, First Aid kits, Tire pumps, etc...
Spare tires have been removed to save weight for something that is rarely used. OTOH I used homelink every day. Very few cars come with first aid kits, and tire pumps anyways.

Look, I understand profitability, but removing something that existed last month and is now gone seems kind of a bad idea.

They more than likely removed it due to lack of use. I'm sure they have data showing the percentage of owner actually using the product. Why install it in every car when it isn't necessary. Easy cost-cutting decision. Dissapointing, I guess so, but the best way to protest against a company that you feel is "doing wrong" by its customers is with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy. That's the best way to get their attention IMOH.

They more than likely removed it due to lack of use. I'm sure they have data showing the percentage of owner actually using the product. Why install it in every car when it isn't necessary. Easy cost-cutting decision. Dissapointing, I guess so, but the best way to protest against a company that you feel is "doing wrong" by its customers is with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy. That's the best way to get their attention IMOH.

Hilariously, this is one of my favorite features. I never forget to close the garage door because of the way the feature works.

I'm not too happy about them removing HomeLink, either. I can understand their reasoning for it, but they could have at least left it in as a factory installed feature at an additional cost. If they are custom building your car anyway, the option to throw in a $300 option that is easily factory installed (as it had been until June 1) should have been left in as part of the "custom order" configuration page.

Reactions: Avid
Hit the reply button a bit early... Having to purchase it and make a separate installation appointment puts added inconvenience on the customer, and hits their already over worked service personnel with an additional (and un-needed) workload.

Just put it back in the configuration page as an available factory installed option for $300.

Reactions: Avid and Tony_YYZ
it was never in the SR or SR+; For LR however, Tesla did announce that they will remove Homelink. If you look at the order page you will no longer see it listed. Disappointing but they are transparent about it.
It was listed as a feature in the page when you selected the color of your interior. There was no official announcement by Tesla that this was happening. An article on a third party website and a memo to sales people does not help people like me who ordered it online without contacting a salesperson at all. Understand?? I guess I should have not seen it anymore, but alas that is the breaks.

It was listed as a feature in the page when you selected the color of your interior. There was no official announcement by Tesla that this was happening. An article on a third party website and a memo to sales people does not help people like me who ordered it online without contacting a salesperson at all. Understand?? I guess I should have not seen it anymore, but alas that is the breaks.
It was removed from the description of the Premium Interior back when it was announced that it was no longer going to be included. There was a period of about 12 hours from when the news broke until it was gone from the website (I checked multiple times), but it hasn't been listed for weeks. You just didn't see it was not there when you ordered.

Reactions: thaian207
They never fully implemented it as it never knew if my door was going up or down. I guess they only care about pre-2013 Homelink standards. Since they didn’t even half ass the implementation they should charge no more than $50. Lazy developers but hey I played Beach Buggy Racing 2 today.

...and the best of all - no floor mats in SR+/- models. That being said, I absolutely love my new Model 3 but I have a really hard time standing behind a company that doesn't include FLOOR MATS in a $40k+ car. Even a Toyota Yaris (under $16k) comes with floor mats.

We bought a 2018 limited 4Runner with no floor mats and a relative bought a 2018 Land Cruiser with no floor mats. They are not included in the base price, they're usually just already there or 'thrown in' by the dealer. It's unnecessary clutter if they are just going to be replaced with different ones.