Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Owner - I Have Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in theory if we find 10 amp tail not enough, the legit way would be to get an electrician to replace the dual 10A GPO with a single 15A?
No, you can't replace a 10amp GPO with a 15 amp one

As long as you have at least two power circuits in your house you can connect as many 10 amp GPO's as you like to them, though if you have too many items plugged into them at once you may trip the breaker - a 10amp GPO power circuit is usually run with 2.5mm2 cable protected with either a 16amp or 20 amp breaker

15 amp Gpo's have to have their own separate power circuits and the number you can connect to that power circuit depends on the size of the cable and the current rating of the circuit breaker protecting it - with 2.5mm2 cable protected by a 20amp breaker, you are allowed one, with 4 mm2 and 6 mm2 protected by the appropriate breaker you can have more - without a set of wiring rules to consult I not sure of the details

So in theory if we find 10 amp tail not enough, the legit way would be to get an electrician to replace the dual 10A GPO with a single 15A?

the wiring only needs an upgrade to go to 32A like an oven would require.

in theory yes, but in practice in Australia deals with 10A x2 vs 15A x 1 differently which may cause problems if its an old cruddy circuit.

With the EU Schuko 16A outlets the electrician can decide how many they want to wire to one beaker but usually they use a fairly thick wire so multiple are wired. In Australia for 10A apparently (for no good reason and its stupid), there is no such requirement afaik but for the 15A outlets there is and they have to be on a seperate power circuit or smth. So an electrician will refuse to change you 2x 10A for a 15A outlet.

I dont think in practice it makes any difference.

I went the whole hog and bought a spare kit from ModernSpare in the US - not a cheap option but with the distances and roads here a reasonable investment.
Come to think of it - I had a slow puncture soon after getting it and I had to put it onto the rear wheel while using my wife's car to take it to Jax for repair, so although it wasn't driven at least the jack etc was used!

I'm planning on having a 32A 3 pin single phase outlet installed, I've been told the 5 pin outlet cannot be installed with only a single phase connected due to wiring rules. My car will be under a carport, has anyone got experience with the outlet not being under cover? Is it safe? I known the UMC is IP rated but what about the tail? Do I need to build a little hutch for it?
I don't see any point in the cost of a gen 3 charger and 3 phase power for 4kW/h more charge speed but I might get them to put a big enough conduit to accommodate 3 phase if I want to upgrade later.

Well if 15A needs a new circuit anyway a wall charger would be the obvious choice.

Thanks.
The Wall charger will only give you 11kW even with 3 phase power (if you have a M3). The 32A single phase outlet gives you 7kW, 15A 3kW and 10A (normal outlet) 2 kW. Installing 3 phase power and buying a wall charger is a lot of extra $ for 4 kW.

I'm planning on having a 32A 3 pin single phase outlet installed, I've been told the 5 pin outlet cannot be installed with only a single phase connected due to wiring rules. My car will be under a carport, has anyone got experience with the outlet not being under cover? Is it safe? I known the UMC is IP rated but what about the tail? Do I need to build a little hutch for it?
I don't see any point in the cost of a gen 3 charger and 3 phase power for 4kW/h more charge speed but I might get them to put a big enough conduit to accommodate 3 phase if I want to upgrade later.
Thats bs. If not possible get a commando plug instead and make yourself an adapter.

Installing 3 phase power and buying a wall charger is a lot of extra $ for 4 kW.
You can put a wall charger on single phase, where it's more about the convenience of a permanent wall-mounted installation that you don't have to worry about walking off or being damaged on the ground, and where you can leave the mobile charger in the car for travel.

The difference in price for that over a 32A socket and tail is about $500 - the wiring is the same, so it just comes down to the HPWC cost versus the socket & tail cost.

You can put a wall charger on single phase, where it's more about the convenience of a permanent wall-mounted installation that you don't have to worry about walking off or being damaged on the ground, and where you can leave the mobile charger in the car for travel.

The difference in price for that over a 32A socket and tail is about $500 - the wiring is the same, so it just comes down to the HPWC cost versus the socket & tail cost.
If I were going that way I'd plumb for the 11kW 3 phase. But like I said, the cost vs convenience... For my place, the wiring is the same but the $800 charger would be the difference. The socket hardware cost is reasonably negligible. But, the cost of 3 phase is also another $500 ish.

I might as well reply to this now.

Yeah I would have been going with a 32A / 1 phase wall charger for 7kw vs 2kw (now 2.4kw) from the supplied UMC.

However, having the car now for 3 months, 10A UMC is doing fine for well more than our daily needs. Can easily do a 60% charge overnight.

And in emergency (like quick top up before hitting the road for a longer trip after a day of driving for work) there is a pair of free 11/22 destination chargers at the local shops. and a pair of paid 22(11 for me)/50 chargers at the next to nearest shops.

All in all for any new owners who may never had an EV before, and may have had the same paranoia I had, I think best advice is don't do a thing about charging until you see how the supplied UMC works out.

And for a neat install I printed some brackets off thingiverse, and can easily remove and pack the UMC into the car when needed.

I might as well reply to this now.

Yeah I would have been going with a 32A / 1 phase wall charger for 7kw vs 2kw (now 2.4kw) from the supplied UMC.

However, having the car now for 3 months, 10A UMC is doing fine for well more than our daily needs. Can easily do a 60% charge overnight.

And in emergency (like quick top up before hitting the road for a longer trip after a day of driving for work) there is a pair of free 11/22 destination chargers at the local shops. and a pair of paid 22(11 for me)/50 chargers at the next to nearest shops.

All in all for any new owners who may never had an EV before, and may have had the same paranoia I had, I think best advice is don't do a thing about charging until you see how the supplied UMC works out.

And for a neat install I printed some brackets off thingiverse, and can easily remove and pack the UMC into the car when needed.
That's great to know! I have to run an outside power point anyway since there is nothing within 20m of the carport so I figured the difference in cost to run a 32A would be worth it. Can you please give me a link to the brackets? one or 2 might be handy. Do you charge in a garage or out in the weather? Trying to work out if I need to put some cover over the outlet.

I have to run an outside power point anyway

I would say if you are running a new point anyway it's probably worth running 32A even if you only get a 10-15GPO for now. (just going by gut feel and previous quotes for things like a new oven connection vs a regular new outlet)

The UMC is meant to be somewhat weather proof, maybe an outdoor outlet is enough protection?

I charge indoors, and it's these 2 I printed:

I would say if you are running a new point anyway it's probably worth running 32A even if you only get a 10-15GPO for now. (just going by gut feel and previous quotes for things like a new oven connection vs a regular new outlet)

The UMC is meant to be somewhat weather proof, maybe an outdoor outlet is enough protection?

I charge indoors, and it's these 2 I printed:

Thanks! The cost for the outlet itself isn't a lot more than a regular power point, labour is the main outlay. I am not sure now if I should be using it outdoors! It's rated as IP55 which should be fine but I'm struggling to find specs on the tail and connection to the UMC. I'd think that based on its function, it should be fine in any weather except the extreme. Maybe the UMC holster would be fine next to the power point? Looks like more research may be necessary?

That's great to know! I have to run an outside power point anyway since there is nothing within 20m of the carport so I figured the difference in cost to run a 32A would be worth it. Can you please give me a link to the brackets? one or 2 might be handy. Do you charge in a garage or out in the weather? Trying to work out if I need to put some cover over the outlet.
If you are referring to the ‘outlet’ as the connection at the car, all superchargers and a great number of destination chargers around the planet are fully outdoors, including the superchargers in SA.

If you are referring to the ‘outlet’ as the connection at the car, all superchargers and a great number of destination chargers around the planet are fully outdoors, including the superchargers in SA.
No, when I talk about the outlet, i mean the thing you plug into on the wall. The power point. My concern is that the tail and connection to the UMC isn't as weatherproof as the UMC.