Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Sport wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they look a lot less sporty now. The flat edge is just :mad: There is a good slider in the article to easily see the differences.

New Tesla Model 3 Sport wheels spotted at Fremont - Drive Tesla Canada

New-Tesla-Model-3-sport-wheels.jpg

I think they look a lot less sporty now. The flat edge is just :mad: There is a good slider in the article to easily see the differences.

New Tesla Model 3 Sport wheels spotted at Fremont - Drive Tesla Canada

New-Tesla-Model-3-sport-wheels.jpg

I noticed something a little odd with the rim, especially around the valve stem area. It almost looks like it is a rim cover over the existing 19" Sport Rims. Perhaps for better aero? It isn't common to route out such a sharp edge like that on the inside of the rim--by the valve stem--as that can introduce a weak spot to the rim itself. Thoughts?

Oh boy. I ordered a M3 with the sports rims, expected deliver in november (Europe). I liked the look of the sport rims better with the chrome on the windows. But now they not only remove the chrome (making it match better with the aeros), but also uglify the sport rims. Hope we get some more pictures as I'll have to reconsider the spec :)

Reactions: jmaddr
In the article, it says minor changes and bringing bigger size ones in smaller sizes. To me that looks like an 18” sport wheel. The ratio of wheel to tire height seems off in the slider, more than the new picture being slightly larger. I think the gap between the inside of the rim and the brake disc is also much smaller than on the 19” sport wheels.

Good call. If you look at the rear wheel, the inside looks quite a bit darker than the “cover”. Maybe these are just a sport wheel cover upgrade to the aero covers. The valve stem cutout looks quite clunky for a wheel.

Maybe someone can do an overlay of the front wheel pictured on top of a stock 18” wheel to see if the “cover” fits over the existing spokes.

And maybe someone can access an oversees order site to see what wheel options they have since all of the chrome delete M3s seem destined for overseas (Japan based on the one documented vin sticker).

Last edited:
All but definitely a 19" and replacement for the current Sport wheel. Electrek has a better compression. Also here is an 18" scaled to be about the same size. Clearly a higher profile. Think the WIDE flat rims make them appear to be smaller 18" but it is just an optical illusion.

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 6.42.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 6.42.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 6.43.25 AM.png

Thanks for the pics. Likely disproves my theories. They would line up as covers except the valve stem on the 18s is not centered between spokes.

I don’t think it’s an illusion that they are smaller, the opening is reduced due to the wider outside lip. The open space is definitely smaller. Maybe this provides some range benefit due to less turbulence. I would assume a pound or two extra material in each wheel so has to be some benefit for being less aesthetically pleasing (ugly).

I’m not certain that these are a replacement for the 19” Sport wheels. The Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 tires that are mounted on them are Summer-only high performance tires (and not low rolling resistance) as per Hankook’s web site: Ventus S1 evo3 (K127) | Passenger Car Tires | Hankook USA

So either Tesla came to their senses and put 19” wheels on the 2021 M3P (the car with the rear visible in the photo appears to have a spoiler) or there is some sort of lower-spec performance variant coming.

• Informative
Reactions: Big_nobody
I’m not certain that these are a replacement for the 19” Sport wheels. The Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 tires that are mounted on them are Summer-only high performance tires (and not low rolling resistance) as per Hankook’s web site: Ventus S1 evo3 (K127) | Passenger Car Tires | Hankook USA

So either Tesla came to their senses and put 19” wheels on the 2021 M3P (the car with the rear visible in the photo appears to have a spoiler) or there is some sort of lower-spec performance variant coming.

Could be just the market they are headed to has a config using summer tires on the 19's. The angle of the rear visible photo makes it look like it's a spoiler, but it's not. If these are indeed stealth performance(missing red calipers), then it would be interesting to see how they are pricing them.

• Love
Reactions: Sc2178
Reactions: gaswalla
Could be just the market they are headed to has a config using summer tires on the 19's. The angle of the rear visible photo makes it look like it's a spoiler, but it's not. If these are indeed stealth performance(missing red calipers), then it would be interesting to see how they are pricing them.

Good point. There are some markets that can use summer tires year-round. I'm curious to see if 2021 being some fundamental lineup changes. Perhaps LR with Acceleration Boost from the factory could become an actual model (A M3P-lite of sorts); this tire/wheel combination would make sense such a model.

These new wheels are designed for improved aero efficiency by reducing wheel drag.
Waited a day to see if my option change but.......took a beautiful design and uglified it. IMO Tesla should have started with a TOTALY new design (or used the Induction wheel) instead of trying to "hide" the aero changes. A new design would have fitted with the overall "refresh" and would make the cars stand out (many use NEW wheel designs in a refresh) . Would have offered the chance to sell updated OEM wheels since many would want the new look. IMO other than aero improvements it is a poor design change and a negative in looks.

Last edited:
Waited a day to see if my option change but.......took a beautiful design and uglified it. IMO Tesla should have started with a TOTALY new design (or used the Induction wheel) instead of trying to "hide" the aero changes. A new design would have fitted with the overall "refresh" and would make the cars stand out (many use NEW wheel designs in a refresh) . Would have offered the chance to sell updated OEM wheels since many would want the new look. IMO other than aero improvements it is a poor design change and a negative in looks.

You”re automatically assuming these are the new Sport Wheels. What if they are the new standard wheels on the LR models? They’re certainly a step up from the Aeros.

You”re automatically assuming these are the new Sport Wheels. What if they are the new standard wheels on the LR models? They’re certainly a step up from the Aeros.

Because they are 19s. Hard to imagine 19s as stock given the proven efficiency improvements of the Aeros. MY comes with bigger tires stock so those make sense to have a 19”wheel as stock (suv). If that flat circle around the outside makes these equal Aeros then awesome but that is doubtful.