Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3/Y Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update regarding disconnecting the protocol box:

DO NOT disconnect it! The main screen of the car started to flash, HVAC system stopped working and Autopilot features were disabled.

The rear screen went black also, totally dead.

So our hope in removing the little box is gone I am afraid. Connected it back and everything works now again without issues as far as I can see.
Darn it I was hopeful that would make a difference. did you try connecting back to stock before updating?

Thanks. I just wrote them an email ([email protected]) with a link to this thread. What I sent:

Hello,​
Please initiate a return and refund for this unit. I have been reading about the rear screen on various forums and your unit causes problems with software updates from Tesla. Your company has recommended to other users to not upgrade Tesla software. That is an absurd response. You should check out this well known forum that is discussing your unit:​
I have numerous other products from you and they have been very good (autofrunk for Model S, autofrunk for Model Y, tilt screen for Y, pilot light for Y) and have recommended as well as installed many of these for friends.​
I am not going to install this unit. Your reputation is being badly damaged by the way this issue is being handled. The problem will not go away. Your customers will.​

The one question I have is why the little screen can connect to the rear port and the large needs to go in the main computer? Perhaps a power issue where the front connection can give enough power for the larger screen/processor?

Perhaps the rear connection is safer but someone needs to test it out. The probkem is that the updates comes every now and then so it might take a while for people to get a hang of how and why this is happening to them.
Darn it I was hopeful that would make a difference. did you try connecting back to stock before updating?
No I didn't because that for me would be saying goodbye to the screen as I probably wouldn't want to do it all over again. And I REALLY want this thing to work with the car. The kids love it and it adds so much value for us when we travel.

As of now next step would be to disconnect the rear screen from the harness at the end and leave it plugged into the computer. Perhaps that would do the trick? It is way easier reaching that connection than going through the Tesla computer connection.

To everyone here reading I would like to inform you that I've spoken to Shiva Sapkota. He is an Youtuber that loves Tesla mods and his video was the one that made me buy the screen.

He is not happy with Hansshow and is contacting them among other vendors. He is trying to make them reach out to all their customers of these screens in order to collect more data to see how many this is affecting.

I quote:

"
Based on your comment, I think it is probably the new display that is causing the software to fail. As I said earlier, I am in contact with PimpMyEv and Hansshow and let's see if they can come up with a solution. My recommendation to them was adding a switch somewhere. Looking closely at the wiring, I wouldn't recommend just removing the box as it could disconnect something on the comm loop. To get this latest software, I know it is a hassle, but I would recommend removing the plug and plugging it again after the update.

I am shocked by Hansshow's response to you. Them saying you shouldn't update your car anymore is outrageous. They need to make products that work with Tesla's updates not brick them. I will work with these companies and see if we can find a problem and a path to resolve them. I have asked PimpMyEv to send an email to everyone who purchased this display and ask if they are having these issues and also tell them to temporarily remove the plug while they find a solution. I hope other Youtubers are also reaching out to these vendors about this issue.

I will keep you updated on what I find out.

Thank you,
Shiva"

I was wrong regarding Shiva being one of the "paid actors" that Hansshow use. I have apologized to him. This dude is the real deal and is looking into this to help us against Hansshow. Great guy!

His idea about a switch that turns it off could work I guess. Quite smart!

I also have an idea where you scrap all the heating capabilities and just use it for pure entertainment. That way you could perhaps take power from the USB connectors in the rear (they are right under the screen). A split cable could go from the internal USB board to the screen (the one we had to move over to the Hansshow screen).
That would also give us auto On/Off as the USB power cuts out when the car is locked.

Good question about why the big screen gets signal from front and small screen gets it from the rear. My guess is that although both are sold by HS, they are manufactured by different companies and perhaps no rationale of front vs rear. Seems to be more of a confusing question if both screens were manufactured by the same company but guessing they are not. Anyways, the small screen has a lot less complexity and that aspect could make a difference on whether it causes any problems. Another possibility causing the problem might not be the screen itself but something to do with the harness. HS at one point was selling the speaker activation harnesses that had wires crossed causing problems. This could be a possibility as well.

To everyone here reading I would like to inform you that I've spoken to Shiva Sapkota. He is an Youtuber that loves Tesla mods and his video was the one that made me buy the screen.

He is not happy with Hansshow and is contacting them among other vendors. He is trying to make them reach out to all their customers of these screens in order to collect more data to see how many this is affecting.

I quote:

"
Based on your comment, I think it is probably the new display that is causing the software to fail. As I said earlier, I am in contact with PimpMyEv and Hansshow and let's see if they can come up with a solution. My recommendation to them was adding a switch somewhere. Looking closely at the wiring, I wouldn't recommend just removing the box as it could disconnect something on the comm loop. To get this latest software, I know it is a hassle, but I would recommend removing the plug and plugging it again after the update.

I am shocked by Hansshow's response to you. Them saying you shouldn't update your car anymore is outrageous. They need to make products that work with Tesla's updates not brick them. I will work with these companies and see if we can find a problem and a path to resolve them. I have asked PimpMyEv to send an email to everyone who purchased this display and ask if they are having these issues and also tell them to temporarily remove the plug while they find a solution. I hope other Youtubers are also reaching out to these vendors about this issue.

I will keep you updated on what I find out.

Thank you,
Shiva"

I was wrong regarding Shiva being one of the "paid actors" that Hansshow use. I have apologized to him. This dude is the real deal and is looking into this to help us against Hansshow. Great guy!

His idea about a switch that turns it off could work I guess. Quite smart!

I also have an idea where you scrap all the heating capabilities and just use it for pure entertainment. That way you could perhaps take power from the USB connectors in the rear (they are right under the screen). A split cable could go from the internal USB board to the screen (the one we had to move over to the Hansshow screen).
That would also give us auto On/Off as the USB power cuts out when the car is locked.
I have watched many of his videos and it is funny he is why i also bought the display...lol adding a switch to disable is a good idea.

Good question about why the big screen gets signal from front and small screen gets it from the rear. My guess is that although both are sold by HS, they are manufactured by different companies and perhaps no rationale of front vs rear. Seems to be more of a confusing question if both screens were manufactured by the same company but guessing they are not. Anyways, the small screen has a lot less complexity and that aspect could make a difference on whether it causes any problems. Another possibility causing the problem might not be the screen itself but something to do with the harness. HS at one point was selling the speaker activation harnesses that had wires crossed causing problems. This could be a possibility as well.
Interesting if the issue was the harness itself. I guess the people who created these products checked for errors and function without thinking about the update issue (it's quite a curveball). I mean, now when I step back and look at this mess: I go and buy a 75 000 dollar car only to potentially brick it with a 600 dollar Chinese noname, unknown and untested product that must be connected to the brains of the car in a quite unauthorized manner.

I do feel stupid yes.

I agree a few people msged me thinking it is the version which it is not, and hopefully putting it back to stock the update process will be successful again
Well thats the million dollar question. What do we do? Shall we go ahead and remove it and pray to any god you can think of that updates will work or do we keep our heads cool and try to update with the screen connected again?

As I mentioned we have one more chance and that is disconnecting it in the rear of the screen itself. Way easier than front.

Well thats the million dollar question. What do we do? Shall we go ahead and remove it and pray to any god you can think of that updates will work or do we keep our heads cool and try to update with the screen connected again?

As I mentioned we have one more chance and that is disconnecting it in the rear of the screen itself. Way easier than front.
I put in an inquiry about this issue with a Hansshow tech because I am having issues with the self presenting door handles I got from them as well. But yes easier to disconnect from rear of the screen, but hopefully with many probably having the same issue they will provide a fix to by pass the screen

Thanks. I just wrote them an email ([email protected]) with a link to this thread. What I sent:

Hello,​
Please initiate a return and refund for this unit. I have been reading about the rear screen on various forums and your unit causes problems with software updates from Tesla. Your company has recommended to other users to not upgrade Tesla software. That is an absurd response. You should check out this well known forum that is discussing your unit:​
I have numerous other products from you and they have been very good (autofrunk for Model S, autofrunk for Model Y, tilt screen for Y, pilot light for Y) and have recommended as well as installed many of these for friends.​
I am not going to install this unit. Your reputation is being badly damaged by the way this issue is being handled. The problem will not go away. Your customers will.​

They simply asked for pictures of the unit before starting the return. I stated I hadn’t even opened the box as it arrived while I was out of town. I really thought this would be a cool mod.

They simply asked for pictures of the unit before starting the return. I stated I hadn’t even opened the box as it arrived while I was out of town. I really thought this would be a cool mod.
Glad to hear that for me they won't even answer regarding a return. They do answer sometimes other questions but the info is always wrong. I know way more than them about this screen right now.

Here is the update and what needs to be done (scroll down)

Here is the update and what needs to be done (scroll down)

For those that are lazy, here is the relevant info:

IMPORTANT SOFTWARE UPDATE:

For previous customers who purchased this from us, please update the software on your rear screen so you can continue getting software updates from Tesla.

DOWNLOAD UPDATE

1. Unzip the file, then copy it to a FAT32 formatted USB disk, with a USB A to USB C OTG Dongle plug it into the USB-C slot on screen and it will automatically update the firmware.
  2. Cut the two orange wires from the plug that goes into the small black controller
  3. The emergency plug should be plugged together to complete the circuit
  4. DONE!
Plug-emergency-wires1_480x480.jpg

Plug-emergency-wires_480x480.jpg

For those that are lazy, here is the relevant info:

IMPORTANT SOFTWARE UPDATE:

For previous customers who purchased this from us, please update the software on your rear screen so you can continue getting software updates from Tesla.

DOWNLOAD UPDATE

1. Unzip the file, then copy it to a FAT32 formatted USB disk, with a USB A to USB C OTG Dongle plug it into the USB-C slot on screen and it will automatically update the firmware.
  2. Cut the two orange wires from the plug that goes into the small black controller
  3. The emergency plug should be plugged together to complete the circuit
  4. DONE!
Plug-emergency-wires1_480x480.jpg

Plug-emergency-wires_480x480.jpg
will try this, I got a notification of a new software update last night so while it was downloading I disconnected the cable from the back of the rear screen and it failed at 60% installing. I did get in contact with a Hansshow tech and they too said that there is a software update that they will try to provide possibly same as this one.

Hi, Everyone that posted to this thread. Thank you, this was a big help in deciding if I would do the Hansshow rear screen. I have decided to hold off on that option and wait for things to be developed more. As a NooBee, this was a great insight. Being a new owner of a 2022 Performance Modle Y, I do not want to risk the warranty or have technical screen issues. Thanks for everyone being active and honest about their experiences.

will try this, I got a notification of a new software update last night so while it was downloading I disconnected the cable from the back of the rear screen and it failed at 60% installing. I did get in contact with a Hansshow tech and they too said that there is a software update that they will try to provide possibly same as this one.
The update can be downloaded from PimpMyEVs site it's already there.