Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
I thought I was immune to the "gotta have the latest and greatest" bug, but now I'm not so sure.

In late March of this year I took delivery of my 90D, and it has been delightful!

But I missed out on:
  • New headlights
  • Bioweapon defense mode
  • Autopilot 2.0
  • 100 kwh battery
to say nothing of the new styling and all that other stuff.

I'm thinking it might be time to take a bath by selling my current car and purchasing a 100D when they become available. Most of the new features are interesting but not enough in and of themselves, but the allure of a car with the hardware required to allow it to truly drive itself some day, plus the 30-35 miles of additional range has really got my attention...

Then again, maybe I should wait until Autopilot 2.0 really is up to snuff with the software as well as the hardware, and see if a bit more battery capacity appears in the next year or so while AP 2.0 matures.

Isn't it great to have such first-world issues to deal with? :D

Then again, maybe I should wait until Autopilot 2.0 really is up to snuff with the software as well as the hardware, and see if a bit more battery capacity appears in the next year or so while AP 2.0 matures.

These are my thoughts on the matter. Just enjoy your car and at least wait for the 100D and for AP 2.0 to mature. By that time there might already by 2170 cells in the car, premium seats on non-P Model S, HUD, other goodies etc. Its also interesting to note that Tesla Glass is a real product/division within Tesla. Who knows what the future will hold!

I'm still expecting a bunch of other new stuff to show up before the 3 ships in volume - remember we were teased that they hasn't shown the final steering wheel/controls and that the new screen style would make more sense later.

I want self driving, but I'm going to wait for another year before I look seriously at replacing.

I felt that same pang of anxiety too, especially with AP2 but talked myself (as previous posted said) that it will take some time for that stuff to get sorted so I'm expecting 2 to 3 years then I can buy the top Model and it will be pretty refined by then.

Other than the AP changes, right now most of the updates are fairly incremental, wait for the big wallop and even then give it a little time for maturity - nobody wants to be the 1.0 owner when the 1.2 version is the perfect one.

I concur with the suggestion to wait. If AP 2.0 is compelling you to upgrade then there's no reason to upgrade until AP 2.0 is truly here and functioning satisfactorily. The unforeseen collateral upgrades that might be available by then would just be icing on the cake.

Reactions: S'toon
+1 to the waiting suggestion. Enjoy your Tesla and wait to jump to something new once the new features are perfected. With technology pertaining to cars advancing so fast, there may be new features coming out in the near future that make what you're currently missing not a big deal.

Reactions: S'toon

You answered your own question. Wait until the AP 2.0 cars are delivered and actually live up to the promotional video put out by the manufacturer. It will take them a while to even match AP 1.0.

Just wait. Your car is still years ahead of most cars on the road. Stop comparing to new tesla because there will always be a newer tesla.

Like I said about buying the latest tesla. The only way to get the latest tesla is to not ever buy one because the moment you bought it, a newer one with more features is already out.

Full self driving will be years out at best. And probably require more hardware in the future.

The extra range is nice, but 90KWh is quite a bit already. The only nice thing about the 100D IMO is the extra fast supercharging, but it is not worth the money and most CA superchargers are reducing power anyways if you are traveling in CA.

The new lights are cool but not necessary and definitely not worth the cost of upgrade.

New looks? Sure it is a bit better but honestly if you cared about car looks you would probably look at other cars.

Finaly bio defense? Nice name but unless someone actually attack the US with a bio weapon, I doubt most would care. Or if you live in China with their horrible air pollution. Also it does take more of the trunk space.

All in all those upgrades are nice but not worth the money of buying a new car IMO.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Had mine for the past year, not worrying a bit about any of the newer features OP references. When I buy my next tesla, which assuredly I will, it will come with all the latest new fangled gadgets, bells and whistles.

Enjoy what you have, it's a marvelous piece of technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I bought my 85D in march and I've also gone through a lot of the same thoughts about missing out on a lot of new features. One of my biggest worries has been depreciation if I were to sell and upgrade. However, one silver lining that I totally forgot about is the RVG. At least I have an absolute bottom that I'll be able to sell the car for in a few years and by that time hopefully a lot of the AP2 features are developed and in production.

I bought my 85D in march and I've also gone through a lot of the same thoughts about missing out on a lot of new features. One of my biggest worries has been depreciation if I were to sell and upgrade. However, one silver lining that I totally forgot about is the RVG. At least I have an absolute bottom that I'll be able to sell the car for in a few years and by that time hopefully a lot of the AP2 features are developed and in production.
1. It doesn't apply to your car directly due to "bought" instead of "lease" in your quote.
2. It doesn't apply to the market generally because...
Tesla ends ‘Resale Value Guarantee’ on new vehicle purchases

FYI