Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW MODEL Y 18 inch at Tsportline?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What size tires are appropriate for 18s?

It seems pretty standard that the Model Y speedometer reads 2 mph faster than you are really going if you check with GPS. If you want to eliminate that go with slightly larger diameter 255/55/18 or if you want the exact same diameter as stock you can go with a narrower (should be more efficient) size 235/55/18.

Keith

PS: If Tesla had restored the 90 mph top speed on AP I would have gone with the narrower tires and just adjusted my speed up by 2 mph... but with the 80 mph top speed in AP I am under the speed limit (really travelling 78 mph) when I am driving through certain areas of Texas.

Holy moly?! After years of denying customers saying 18 inch will never fit over all model t variant…. Tsportline came out with an 18 inch for model y!!!!

Yes sir! It took some effort, as we had to re-engineer the wheels to meet Model Y load specs. Rest assured, the new 18" T Sportline wheels for Model Y are in-stock and rolling out to customers!

This is speculation, but from past experience wheel offset and the shape of the back of the spokes. If the spokes curve out they give more clearance for brake calipers than wheels that have spokes with a flat back.

The TS5 wheels do have some concavity to them, so the spokes on the 18" wheels should also curve outward to give more clearance for the calipers. Plus, with a +35mm offset you should be fine clearing Model Y brakes. Not sure how the clearance will be with Model Y Performance brakes, but I'm sure somebody or T Sportline will be able to test this.

Here's a picture of my 21x9.5 with +30mm offset TS5, to give you an idea of the spokes and how they curve outward a bit.

TS5-Concavity.jpg

The TSS wheels seem to be identical in every way to the RTX Spiders I have been using for a couple of years now. Both are flow forged, have the same offset and even the same load ratings. I would almost swear they came from the same factory. Only difference is the price and centre cap that I can see.

The RTX can be had for $611 USD for a set of 4 delivered whereas Tsportline TSS are $1600 for a set of 4, not sure if this includes delivery. Can you explain why I should pay close to $1,000 more for what I can only assume is somehow a vastly superior product? What makes them worth so much more?

I have the RTX Spiders in a 19" format for my winter wheels on both the Y and the S by the way. Very pleased with them. Considering going 18" on the Y for better comfort as opposed to the 20" Inductions for my summer set.

Here are the RTX Spider

Here are the Tsportline TSS

I did notice a difference, the TSS wheels will accept the factory Tesla nuts whereas the Spiders will not. Not sure I see this as a good thing as one would need to use those plastic nut covers on the Tesla nuts to cover the unfinished look. As for the Spiders, I ended up using this. Works great and looks great and does add some security.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
The TSS wheels seem to be identical in every way to the RTX Spiders I have been using for a couple of years now. Both are flow forged, have the same offset and even the same load ratings. I would almost swear they came from the same factory. Only difference is the price and centre cap that I can see.

The RTX can be had for $611 USD for a set of 4 delivered whereas Tsportline TSS are $1600 for a set of 4, not sure if this includes delivery. Can you explain why I should pay close to $1,000 more for what I can only assume is somehow a vastly superior product? What makes them worth so much more?

I have the RTX Spiders in a 19" format for my winter wheels on both the Y and the S by the way. Very pleased with them. Considering going 18" on the Y for better comfort as opposed to the 20" Inductions for my summer set.

Here are the RTX Spider

I think you bring up a fair question. Only thing I can think of is the various testing/certification like TÜV. That is costly from what I understand.

Here are the RTX Spider

Would love to hear more about your experience with the RTX wheels. Thanks!

I respect that… pure driving enthusiast will Defin agree with you… take the entire race track Division lol… don’t they run 18s as their standard wheel size for the best or performance grip and durability? But off track there… I’m serious debating to experiment here especially since it’s about 600 to 700 dollar cheaper than the Martian wheels and Tsportline has a solid reputation.
yea, 18s are the limit I've seen. Hard to find R compounds larger than 18". Times may have changed, that's how it was a few years ago.

Would love to hear more about your experience with the RTX wheels. Thanks!
What can I say except they are good looking wheels? I have had 19" Spiders on the Y for 2 salt infested Montreal winters and they show no signs of cosmetic wear. They do say these wheels are winter approved so I assume that means the finish is on the better side when it comes to corrosion. Also have a set on the S since Jan however those were recently removed for summer tires. Prior to this I had a set of RTX wheels in a different model on a Mercedes GLC AMG for 5 years, sold the car and winter wheel setup a couple months ago and those wheels still looked great.

Reactions: Horsemover