Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I was supposed to pick up the car today. And just got this text message from them. Getting a little frustrated. If I could just talk “techy” with someone on the phone over there I would feel better.

F2F4D1A5-B213-44E0-8A5E-AEC6E552D68F.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Update: I was supposed to pick up the car today. And just got this text message from them. Getting a little frustrated. If I could just talk “techy” with someone on the phone over there I would feel better.

View attachment 528658
When does your 7-day return window expire? Have you brought this up with Tesla? Has there ever been a precedent for Tesla to extend this window for reasons such as these? In any case—good luck, I hope the car comes back better than new.

View attachment 528658

Wow sorry to hear that. For being a brand new vehicle, they should at absolute minimum put you in a Tesla loaner - or refund your money and order you a new one. Regardless of the manufacturer involved, this would constitute a major eyesore for a customer experience. They need to make it right for you.

View attachment 528658

Would just give them a little more time. As someone mentioned the 7 day return doesn't work if you want another Tesla. In medical terms, your car had a heart attack/stroke (some sort of severe issue). Sure maybe they are stalling a bit as someone has mentioned, but ultimately their goal is to fix your car and not have you come back. Especially given that the Y is so new, I don't see why they would try to make sure they nail the diagnosis and also make sure its not some sort of systemic or production issue. Nailing simple issues with quick turnaround is important to me, but a showstopper like yours, I would rather have them take their time, check out as much as possible before returning the car back to me.

I would be more upset to get the car back quicker, and have another similar related issue shortly down the road just because they were valuing speed over quality. Some service centers have done that unfortunately, good to see one that actually cares.

I returned my brand new MX last Friday, the 7th day of return window. 9 significant problems that I was told would require multiple service appointments. When I inquired about buying a different config, was told I cannot for a year. While a bit miffed, I guess maybe fate was looking out for me.

I returned my brand new MX last Friday, the 7th day of return window. 9 significant problems that I was told would require multiple service appointments. When I inquired about buying a different config, was told I cannot for a year. While a bit miffed, I guess maybe fate was looking out for me.
My understanding, perhaps misunderstanding, is that you can reorder immediately but must alter the configuration. So, perhaps a different color? Maybe a wheel upgrade? IMO anything is better than a “new” car with lots of issues....

I'd give them time and not worry about it. Esp if you're stranded at home like the rest of the world and have another car in the immediate family needs. If not, I'd push for a loner.

The clock is ticking on the lemon laws, so that puts you closer to a buyback if something does come up.

Would just give them a little more time. As someone mentioned the 7 day return doesn't work if you want another Tesla. In medical terms, your car had a heart attack/stroke (some sort of severe issue). Sure maybe they are stalling a bit as someone has mentioned, but ultimately their goal is to fix your car and not have you come back. Especially given that the Y is so new, I don't see why they would try to make sure they nail the diagnosis and also make sure its not some sort of systemic or production issue. Nailing simple issues with quick turnaround is important to me, but a showstopper like yours, I would rather have them take their time, check out as much as possible before returning the car back to me.

I would be more upset to get the car back quicker, and have another similar related issue shortly down the road just because they were valuing speed over quality. Some service centers have done that unfortunately, good to see one that actually cares.

personally, I would ask them to have a duplicate car that doesn’t have issues off the line.