Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y owner - What should I know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered back in May this year and just got told I should be getting delivery next week......waiting on 100% confirmation though.

What should I know as a new Tesla owner? Any tips, tricks you can share?

Someone mentioned that you get so many free charges at super chargers or something with your new car? Anything else?

So if you're on here, chances are you already know or will find threads on "Battery Degredation". There are alot of new owners who will get very concerned over the first year of ownership that "My vehicle when new showed 310 miles of range at 100% now it shows 299, should I be concerned" The answer is NO. There is a minor battery degredation in all EV's over the first year or so, usually a max of about 10%. After that it levels off and doesn't change much. Don't worry, switch the display to Percentage and enjoy your EV. Congrats on the New Tesla, they're awesome!

Reactions: Jones1 and Dennisis
I ordered back in May this year and just got told I should be getting delivery next week......waiting on 100% confirmation though.

What should I know as a new Tesla owner? Any tips, tricks you can share?

Someone mentioned that you get so many free charges at super chargers or something with your new car? Anything else?
Biggest tip is to check the car over thoroughly. Look at panel alignment, paint and glass. Be reasonable but keep in mind if you accept the car with a lot of problems, your chances of getting them all fixed without major inconvenience is small. You have the option to refuse.

Reactions: ShakataGaNai
o Set your battery-range meter on percent instead of miles and think of the car like you do your iPhone
o You have like half a foot of headroom - try the seat in different vertical positions to find the one you like
o Get some aftermarket floormats - the stock ones are meh
o Make peace with curb rash or consider protective countermeasures
o AutoPilot is a fancy cruise control best used on the highway - think of it that way

And know how the THREE T’s impact real world range - Temperature, Terrain, and Technique.

And ignore the EPA rated range, you’d have to drive at 45 mph in perfect conditions to achieve it.
Great advice.

Also, over time, you’ll learn about what your driving style is and temps, etc to know what your real range is…plus, for long road trips, you’ll quickly realize it mostly doesn’t matter because of how well superchargers are located/placed for most areas.

No free charges. If you can, get a Level 2 charger installed at your home. Much easier and cheaper than depending on Superchargers.
Actually that doesn't appear to be true.

A friend got their before mine and thats who told me about it.

I got mine yesterday and only had 50% charge on it, so went to a supercharger to work out how to use it, connected to my car and it started charging.

I hadn't yet registered the car in the app or online and hadn't put in any payment information yet it charged up nicely, which confused the crap out of me.

So I went back to the friend and asked how they found out about the first 1000 miles being free, they said they did the same plugged in and expected to pay, but it didn't cost them anything, so spoke to someone at Tesla showroom who told them the 1st 1000 miles are free.

I could be wrong and so could they, but so far no cost or bills for my charging