Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MS owner- Model 3 reservation still says "Late 2018"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my wife bought a new Model S in September, and right around the same time, I put down a reservation for a M3. Tesla claims I'll still get the benefit of owners priority, but I haven't seen that in the estimator. I've called multiple times and they still claim I'll get it. Given recent events, I'm not confident this will remain true. Anyone else in this situation? Also, my reservation preferences the first production, but my estimator continues to save the AWD version. Tesla claimed to fix this (even calling me back to tell me it's done) and it still won't save for FP. Is this happening to anyone else?

Hm, touched a nerve I see. I’m sorry you found my post offensive.
Some people are a little on edge with the delays and people getting "front of the line passes". But Elon said early on the best way to get one early was to but an S or X, so they shouldn't blame you.

This late into the game though (a year and a half) I don't think new owner-reservations are FRONT of the line, but given some regional preferences bumped ahead of some odd amount of people.

I would expect significant benefit for early orders when the order rate was high.

Late orders I wouldn’t expect that much.

If they moved someone up in front of folks that ordered 3 months earlier it would make a big difference for first day orders. Now, maybe delivery a few weeks earlier.

Here we go again. If you check with Tesla as I have done, I think you will find out it doesn’t matter when you buy an S or X in order to receive Model 3 priority in your geographical location. Speculating what the policy is or should be is kind of pointless. If you are concerned that whomever you first talk to at Tesla may be wrong, call a couple stores and even the head shed in Fremont. That’s what I did and they all gave the same answer, like it or not.

As for OP I’d keep bugging them. It looks like you still have some time.

So, my wife bought a new Model S in September, and right around the same time, I put down a reservation for a M3. Tesla claims I'll still get the benefit of owners priority, but I haven't seen that in the estimator. I've called multiple times and they still claim I'll get it. Given recent events, I'm not confident this will remain true. Anyone else in this situation? Also, my reservation preferences the first production, but my estimator continues to save the AWD version. Tesla claimed to fix this (even calling me back to tell me it's done) and it still won't save for FP. Is this happening to anyone else?

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. If anyone deserves to be put in the front of the line ahead of 300K+ people it should be you.

When you contacted Tesla did you give them your "Entitlement #"? Maybe that's the problem.

Maybe if you go to the Santa Row store and make your frustration known Elon may meet you there to discuss this in a private conflab.

Reactions: 03DSG and brkaus
What you see on your Delivery Estimator page might not necessarily be what is on Tesla's backend - which is the one that matters.

When did you buy the Model S? The delivery estimates were updated just last week and I would've hoped the changes were reflected then.

The snide remarks about the OP are stupid. Tesla created the rule whereby current owners get priority over nonowners. It's no different than many businesses that favor repeat customers. Presumably they do so because it has shown to be a smart business policy not because they don't like new customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
The snide remarks about the OP are stupid. Tesla created the rule whereby current owners get priority over nonowners. It's no different than many businesses that favor repeat customers. Presumably they do so because it has shown to be a smart business policy not because they don't like new customers.

Well, Tesla shot themselves here. They said owners would get higher priority over a non-owner. They didn’t say how high. They never said all model 3s would be delivered to owners first, regardless of when the Model 3 was reserved. They also didn’t say that wasn’t the case. No one knows.

I agree some priority is smart biz practice. But the other side of the coin - would it be fair for a Tesla owner that orders a 3 now to be placed in front of a first day line stander that does not own a Tesla? That certainly doesn’t sound like smart business practice.

How are they actually doing it? No one knows, perhaps Tesla themselves does not know either.

Hence the problem...

Speaking of which, now that I think about it - I’m a first day online orderer person. Then I purchased an S this March. How do I know I got my priority? Never gave it a thought until now.

I agree some priority is smart biz practice. But the other side of the coin - would it be fair for a Tesla owner that orders a 3 now to be placed in front of a first day line stander that does not own a Tesla? That certainly doesn’t sound like smart business practice.

As a first day, early morning line waiter - non-owner - I would say "No, not fair". But I'm sure that even Elon would clap back with "life is not fair, deal with it".

Well, Tesla shot themselves here. They said owners would get higher priority over a non-owner. They didn’t say how high. They never said all model 3s would be delivered to owners first, regardless of when the Model 3 was reserved. They also didn’t say that wasn’t the case. No one knows.

How are they actually doing it? No one knows, perhaps Tesla themselves does not know either.

Hence the problem...

Speaking of which, now that I think about it - I’m a first day online orderer person. Then I purchased an S this March. How do I know I got my priority? Never gave it a thought until now.
Why do some people act like this process is a huge mystery? Call Tesla. In fact call several Tesla stores and Fremont and ask them. Policy as explained to me by several employees is simple. If you own an S or X you will be elevated to the the top of your geographic location. That's it. No deadlines or other conditions.

If there is any question it is what is the effect of selling your S or X before configuring your 3. However a former Tesla employee has posted pictures of her new 3. What we don't know is when she quit, before or after getting the 3.

I'm in the camp that has irrational* irritation with S owners who want a 3. The 3 is likely going to be a great car, but the S is a higher optioned, roomier, faster car with sexy pop out door handles. Be happy with your S and X, let us fiscally-challenged people feel special with our 3. Or, this is when they tell me the 3 is a gift for their kid, and I really fall apart. * Yes, I realize there are numerous excellent reasons for S & X owners to pre-order a 3, if I could own them all I would too. All of the anger here is therapy, as we all have to wait.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
The snide remarks about the OP are stupid. Tesla created the rule whereby current owners get priority over non-owners. It's no different than many businesses that favor repeat customers. Presumably they do so because it has shown to be a smart business policy not because they don't like new customers.

Tesla (whether it be Musk himself or his senior leadership) have been very consistent about making statements that are fuzzy and malleable. Tesla has been consistent in this regard and is the culture of the company. We have a 21st century company that gives and takes away features of their cars without the consent of the owner via software updates (the sword cuts both ways it appears).

Tesla created the rule whereby current owners get priority over non-owners.

There was no 'rule'. Rule: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere.

When a person in a bar who has had one too many shouts 'A round of drinks for everyone', no one takes him/her seriously. Tesla's statement about owner priority is rife with caveats and unspoken disclaimers (owner location, how the vehicle was purchased, etc.).

The only thing stupid (OP's words) is people trying to make Tesla something it is not. Expecting to hold Tesla to the same communication standard as BMW, MB, or Audi - now that's stupid.

Tesla (whether it be Musk himself or his senior leadership) have been very consistent about making statements that are fuzzy and malleable. Tesla has been consistent in this regard and is the culture of the company. We have a 21st century company that gives and takes away features of their cars without the consent of the owner via software updates (the sword cuts both ways it appears).

Tesla created the rule whereby current owners get priority over non-owners.

There was no 'rule'. Rule: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere.

When a person in a bar who has had one too many shouts 'A round of drinks for everyone', no one takes him/her seriously. Tesla's statement about owner priority is rife with caveats and unspoken disclaimers (owner location, how the vehicle was purchased, etc.).

The only thing stupid (OP's words) is people trying to make Tesla something it is not. Expecting to hold Tesla to the same communication standard as BMW, MB, or Audi - now that's stupid.
Thanks. Until reading your informative post, I didn’t understand the complexity of this fuzzy and malleable topic.