Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP not getting full range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Piscado

MYP blue white no fsd no tow OD 9/9 Delivered11/25
Sep 10, 2021
Bay Area
Only getting 270 at 90% charging limit. As a matter of fact it’s been fluctuating over the charging course, between 268 and 273 before final settled at 270 at completion. Is it normal?

Yep. There are a half dozen threads you can read where this is discussed. The bottom line is that you may be able to get close to the range that Tesla advertises for the Performance Model Y but there are many factors, mostly your speed while driving, that will impact the range. The estimated range number displayed is not based on your driving history. The estimated range is based on the data Tesla submitted to the EPA and the state of charge of the battery pack. Your range will probably be less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
I drive in sport mode all the time and accelerate fast in general. I like to drive!

When I got the car is was 299 to 305 range. Used 2020 M3P 12000 miles. After one month and fall temps I’m barely at 260 predicted range. I doubt the battery is bad. I just use a lot of juice. So many factors! Unless you go on a long trip I suggest you change your range to a battery percentage and not worry about it ha ha.

Ugh... if you do the math you are on target with 270m range at 90% SOC. Add 10% to 270 and you get 300m range.
I understand but my confusion is how comes a brand new car does not get the exact 303*0.9=273 number. Since I believe this battery in miles does not take into account your driving history or whatnot so it should be at that exact number when the battery is brand new and is at its “full capacity”

I understand but my confusion is how comes a brand new car does not get the exact 303*0.9=273 number. Since I believe this battery in miles does not take into account your driving history or whatnot so it should be at that exact number when the battery is brand new and is at its “full capacity”
I have the same issue, 100% is 295 but it was 302 8 weeks ago. It’s the cold.

Because it's not measuring sugar in a measuring cup that just sits there, and you can put your head down at counter level and look at it and see exactly where it is. The sugar gets a little warm or cold, it doesn't make a difference. The sugar is 6 months old, it doesn't make a difference.

The amount of energy in a battery has a lot more factors that can affect that and cause variation in how it is now and how it will be drawn out and what the temperature is, and how the energy is in some of the many thousands of cells in it are just a little bit different, etc. etc. There are projection and estimation algorithms the car uses to try to keep track of all of that, but it's only going to match exactly for about the first day, which is probably before you ever get the car. It's going to drift off by a few of those "rated miles" for the rest of its life.

This question has been asked and answered since day one. Battery range is not an exact science like measuring a gallon of liquid fuel. But like liquid fuel how far you can travel on the stored energy is determined by various factors that are constantly changing. My Z06 got 28 mpg on the highway when cruising but when I tracked it the car reported < 7 mpg.