Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this mean?
This means that the Tesla navigation on the S & X is getting a long overdue update. While having been ok for a car navigation imo, it still lack a lot of the features and accuracy of the navigation apps I have on my phone.

Should be interesting to see if they are improving in a big way, and I hope this is a world wide roll out and not a limited release. I have a road trip planed for Easter, would be nice to test it.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
For an engineer, his tweets are frustratingly imprecise.......

A date would be the proper way to announce this highly anticipated release

*chuckle*. You should see what his one-word tweets engender :).

He did give us a date range - beginning this weekend, right? Nice way to begin the start of Q2. And it typically takes a few weeks or more now for a fleetwide distribution.

Addendum: I’ve always liked the Navigon detail in the IC - especially for close quarters maneuvering as it were. Precise and generally spot on, unlike the voodoo routing that happens to this day in the touchscreen/Google variant (e.g., nearly arriving at a destination and then being arbitrarily routed the long way around the barn to travel 200 yards - that sort of thing. Will be guardedly optimistic about this next new journey, and will try not to think about past improvements in audio management and touchscreen pane management - both of which have been decidedly painful.

Last edited:
*chuckle*. You should see what his one-word tweets engender :).

He did give us a date range - beginning this weekend, right? Nice way to begin the start of Q2. And it typically takes a few weeks or more now for a fleetwide distribution.

Addendum: I’ve always liked the Navigon detail in the IC - especially for close quarters maneuvering as it were. Precise and generally spot on, unlike the voodoo routing that happens to this day in the touchscreen/Google variant (e.g., nearly arriving at a destination and then being arbitrarily routed the long way around the barn to travel 200 yards - that sort of thing. Will be guardedly optimistic about this next new journey, and will try not to think about past improvements in audio management and touchscreen pane management - both of which have been decidedly painful.
Depends

(See what I did there... worse than “yes” ;) )

If he’s still in Morocco/Europe then lthis weekend” would be the weekend ending April 1 (no fooling).

I think we’d all like it sooner though...

• Funny
Reactions: TaoJones
For an engineer, his tweets are frustratingly imprecise.......

A date would be the proper way to announce this highly anticipated release
Lol, last time Elon tweeted "by the end of the day", it took a couple of weeks. Last time he tweeted "3 months probably, 6 months for sure" we are 10 months in and still waiting - same for "sooner than people think". So draw your own conclusions as to that "this weekend" means. :)

Of course with Tesla's literate minimalist interpretations of everything (think "of course it's a 691hp car, because the motors could do it, it's just that the battery limits it to 463hp, but the car is still 691hp car) - "starts rolling out this weekend" could be easily satisfied by pushing a single update to a single car, maybe even one of Elon's cars.

Hopefully this applies to more than just the US.

...and hopefully it's faster. The current maps are painfully slow to load and use.

...and hopefully it gives lane guidance instructions a bit earlier - especially in London, where such things aren't always logical, obvious or easy to achieve!

That's a lot of hope for one post.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones