Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turn off cellular data on your phone and see how well Google routing works. It needs to work in areas with no coverage.
Yup. I thought Waze did a great job last week getting me to a remote West Texas I lace that had no cell coverage at the destination or along most of the way.

Then I tried to start a trip to my next destination. Grrrr.

Even if it's not at mature beta level - let's get it activated - since the current navigation software has a number of quirks and many drivers end up using their smartphones for navigation...

If the software has both navigation packages - then just provide a way for us to select which app to use - and when the new software is working better than the current (which probably won't be too hard to do), then switch everyone over.

Turn off cellular data on your phone and see how well Google routing works. It needs to work in areas with no coverage.

Pretty well if the maps are downloaded to your phone already! That’s one reason I downloaded Florida to my phone when Google started to support offline maps.
Beside the missing traffic data which always needs a cellular connection...

• Informative
Reactions: Mattzilla and BerTX

That's a bad response, this could easily be handled by download tiles in advance, or hole regions for trips. There's no reason if google would offer a third party API that people couldn't use it. Ever used google maps / waze when you lose coverage and amazingly it stills works? Yes, it's because they cache it, your traffic data will get out of data, but the maps and turns still work.

I currently am on brand new /has 144 miles when I got it on Friday/ S100D and it have it /new center display/

IMG_9930.JPG

Wonder if it is going to be upgraded in my S85 once it is back from service