Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have AP? Other non-AP related updates have been excluded lately so I'm half expecting older cars to not get maps either.
I have AP1
How do you know when it activates?

Does it say anything? Or does it just look different?
first it has red exclamation mark icon on CID and message that said that there is different set of maps on my dash and to call service. Just few seconds after that the CID rebooted and there was release notes for the new maps

For the record - the car was connected to the HPWC and wifi all night And it has 2018.12. Firmware version remain unchanged after maps activation

Last edited:
Do you have AP? Other non-AP related updates have been excluded lately so I'm half expecting older cars to not get maps either.
I expect to get updated maps forever as I feel I paid for all updates in the ridiculous original price. I am happy with the cost of the car but do not expect to be a second class citizen as I have funded Tesla to the hilt.

The Tesla website used to state there would be free annual navigation map updates - for seven years, included with the purchase.

Tesla has removed this wording from the website.

Since EAP/FSD will need accurate and up-to-date map data for the navigation software, seems likely Tesla will shift away from the annual update model (which was what Garmin supported), providing more frequent updates, and not providing a time limit for those updates to be free.

Looking forward to the update but I am overall a happy Nav user and a heavy one at that (Calendar location to Nav destination is so helpful) but mostly in Southern Ontario where it seems to work quite well.

Yes, I'd sure like to swipe away a certain road, or add one stop-off to a route (soon please :)

I expect they are coming. But while I want simple features, Elon looks excited about more important, fundamental changes to the NAV tangle of:

Google Maps + Navigon maps and routing + Tesla routing + ??? database
I am guessing the new format is
Google Maps + Open Maps + ??? Tesla routing and database

Guess it's just a matter of time before Elon has up-to-date satellite imagery of the planet, so maybe Google is next to go ?

The good news is that it works as it is, and any improvements are welcomed. Frankly I'm probably more excited than I should be about this one, but there's so much mystery about what parts are granted to who, and when...

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Brief clip of New Nav IC maps & new sultry voice, new exit graphics. New MCU March 2018 Build Model S 100D - 2018.12 - first drive after taking delivery, so less than 20 miles on odometer at the time. Drove it straight to the shop to be wrapped on Wednesday. Still there with only 24 miles.
Shot several clips. This was the least shaky & in focus. No music in background.

Brief clip of New Nav IC maps & new sultry voice, new exit graphics. New MCU March 2018 Build Model S 100D - 2018.12 - first drive after taking delivery, so less than 20 miles on odometer at the time. Drove it straight to the shop to be wrapped on Wednesday. Still there with only 24 miles.
Shot several clips. This was the least shaky & in focus. No music in background.
So I suspect the new "sultry" voice (same as the TM3) is a feature of new maps PLUS the new MCU. My 2017 S90D now DOES have the new maps like yours, but the voice is the same old robot.

So I suspect the new "sultry" voice (same as the TM3) is a feature of new maps PLUS the new MCU. My 2017 S90D now DOES have the new maps like yours, but the voice is the same old robot.
Only drove it 17 miles to get it wrapped. Picking it up from Paul at Attention2Detail on Wednesday. I will post more video after.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have a classic (pre-AP) MS 85 kWh. Installed the firmware update (2018.12) on Saturday (3/31) night. The map update pop up appeared today - Wednesday (4/4) morning. I have strong WiFi signal at home, and a 100 Mbps internet subscription - pretty sure neither WiFi nor ISP were the bottleneck here. Surely it is Tesla that is taking this long to download, validate, install (and whatever else) the map update.

About the map update:
  1. I do not see any change in center console maps. Still Google Maps. Cannot say if it is vector maps - hard to tell. (Will report here if I figure it out). Someone posted change in colors etc, but I don't see it. The greens look still the same to me.
  2. Got the new interface for navigation on instrument cluster. At first glance, looks like it could potentially be better than what we had - UI-wise - but no big improvement for me yet. Labels for the exits are good, but at the same time, irrelevant exit labels do not need to be this prominent, if you ask me. Also, I thought the old UI was more sleek. The new one is a little too flashy. I may change my opinion with more usage.
  3. New navigation voice. I think I liked the old voice better. Again, may be judging too soon, and no big deal really.
  4. New navigation voice instructions. Clear improvement for my use case. More concise and precise.
  5. No comments on improved routing accuracy, and/or time saving re-routing. Haven't used it enough to judge.
About Elon's comment saying the new nav is light years ahead: It has happened in the past that when a big software update is announced, we actually get it in two parts. The first one does the aesthetic overhaul, with little functional improvement, is often buggy, and has missing functionality that existed before. Everyone (including me) starts screaming - complaining that this is just a change of skin, not really a big update etc. etc. And then an incremental update comes which turns out to be actually the real deal including big functional changes. Of course nothing will satisfy us completely, but this has happened often enough, that I would hold my judgement for a month or two this time. I expect the next incremental update will bring a bunch of new functionality like way-points, route preferences, and even route editing.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah