Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was my second try with the new Nav. It has a few issues. While the display in the binnacle is clear, the directions can be a little weird. For example, I was in the HOV lane which the old Nav seemed to know, the new one wanted me to exit in the right lane even though there was no way to get to the right lane and it was to route me around slow traffic but never advised me that was what it wanted to do. The old Nav would say traffic ahead and ask if I wanted to re-route, the new Nav just tries to re-route you if it will save whatever time you set as the required time savings. Then when a street merges into another street and the name changes, it isn't aware of the name change or the right location for the name change so it gives confusing directions. In this particular case, a street called Benedict merges into Glen Haven and that street ends at Alessandro. It is telling me to turn left on Benedict but Benedict intersects Glen Haven about 200 feet from Alessandro. If I wasn't familiar with the area the directions would be very confusing. This is definitely a beta navigation system. Too bad they just didn't use Apple's or Google's both are much better. I hope it improves quickly.

Depending on your year and model, Tesla doesn't support 5G, only 2.4G. Be sure you are selecting the right frequency access point. As to encryption, I think, if I recall correctly, the Tesla supports WPA encryption but if you are using WEP you might have a problem.

I’m not able to connect neither Tesla to my google WiFi.
Any pointers?
For me, google wifi connected without any config changes. In fact, the car prefers the house google access point over the garage dedicated one (old D-Link DIR-615 forced to 2.4GHz only), even as it gets only 1 or 2 bars connectivity. One of the strenghts of Google wifi is the ability to run both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks at the same time, under same AP name.

What does it do when you try to connect?

I’m not able to connect neither Tesla to my google WiFi.
Any pointers?

There are many painful threads on this topic. Sometimes the answer is easy as suggested here. Sometimes moving the car to a 2.4 guest network will be sufficient depending on your router setup and how it handles traffic. It can also be a consequence of what other devices are on your network. Shouldn’t be this hard.

Today was my second try with the new Nav. It has a few issues. While the display in the binnacle is clear, the directions can be a little weird. For example, I was in the HOV lane which the old Nav seemed to know, the new one wanted me to exit in the right lane even though there was no way to get to the right lane and it was to route me around slow traffic but never advised me that was what it wanted to do. The old Nav would say traffic ahead and ask if I wanted to re-route, the new Nav just tries to re-route you if it will save whatever time you set as the required time savings. Then when a street merges into another street and the name changes, it isn't aware of the name change or the right location for the name change so it gives confusing directions. In this particular case, a street called Benedict merges into Glen Haven and that street ends at Alessandro. It is telling me to turn left on Benedict but Benedict intersects Glen Haven about 200 feet from Alessandro. If I wasn't familiar with the area the directions would be very confusing. This is definitely a beta navigation system. Too bad they just didn't use Apple's or Google's both are much better. I hope it improves quickly.

Another beta test feature. Sucks that these bugs exist hopefully will be ironed out quickly.

We haven’t been able to get the maps updates on either of our cars because we live in an apartment and park in an underground garage with obviously no WiFi but surprisingly strong LTE reception.

I emailed Tesla the other day and got this crazy response. I offered to reimburse them the $10 per car for LTE data, which this guy claims would bankrupt and cripple the company, but all he had to say was “park at Starbucks.” They seriously want us to park outside a Starbucks (they shut off their Wi-Fi at night and most wont let you park near them overnight to begin with!) for days or weeks on end to get map updates that they can easily push via LTE at a relatively small cost?! Thoughts on how to handle this?

“Sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting the new maps update pushed to your vehicle! Definitely want you to get updates when they become available, however, it is not feasible or sustainable for us to push map updates over LTE due to the costs Tesla would incur as a result. Map files are multiple gigabytes in size.

Similar to your expensive data plan, Tesla also has to pay for the LTE connection in your vehicle, thus we cannot offer this option. There are many owners who request this, and if we obliged then you can possibly imagine the exponential costs we would incur as a result.

Similarly, we cannot offer service center WiFi because we have to use the connections therein for local and remote service. As such, allowing customers to download map updates via this option would slow down the entire network within the service center, overloading bandwidth and preventing resolution of other customer issues.

Lastly, there are currently 200,000 vehicles that could hypothetically receive LTE map updates. Imagining it would cost Tesla $10 minimum per map update via LTE, which would cost approximately $2,000,000; you can quickly see why this would be problematic for our future as a business.

The best existing option may be for you connect at a Starbucks if you don’t have any other convenient method of connecting your Tesla to WiFi. I regret that we cannot provide your desired resolution, but I hope the information provided herein helps clarify our position on this matter.

Best,

Scott McCarthy | Executive Care

12832 Frontrunner Blvd | Draper, UT 84020”

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
We haven’t been able to get the maps updates on either of our cars because we live in an apartment and park in an underground garage with obviously no WiFi but surprisingly strong LTE reception.

I emailed Tesla the other day and got this crazy response. I offered to reimburse them the $10 per car for LTE data, which this guy claims would bankrupt and cripple the company, but all he had to say was “park at Starbucks.” They seriously want us to park outside a Starbucks (they shut off their Wi-Fi at night and most wont let you park near them overnight to begin with!) for days or weeks on end to get map updates that they can easily push via LTE at a relatively small cost?! Thoughts on how to handle this?

“Sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting the new maps update pushed to your vehicle! Definitely want you to get updates when they become available, however, it is not feasible or sustainable for us to push map updates over LTE due to the costs Tesla would incur as a result. Map files are multiple gigabytes in size.

Similar to your expensive data plan, Tesla also has to pay for the LTE connection in your vehicle, thus we cannot offer this option. There are many owners who request this, and if we obliged then you can possibly imagine the exponential costs we would incur as a result.

Similarly, we cannot offer service center WiFi because we have to use the connections therein for local and remote service. As such, allowing customers to download map updates via this option would slow down the entire network within the service center, overloading bandwidth and preventing resolution of other customer issues.

Lastly, there are currently 200,000 vehicles that could hypothetically receive LTE map updates. Imagining it would cost Tesla $10 minimum per map update via LTE, which would cost approximately $2,000,000; you can quickly see why this would be problematic for our future as a business.

The best existing option may be for you connect at a Starbucks if you don’t have any other convenient method of connecting your Tesla to WiFi. I regret that we cannot provide your desired resolution, but I hope the information provided herein helps clarify our position on this matter.

Best,

I can't honestly say that this response is out of line. My guess is that once the maps update goes mainstream, you'd eventually get it through LTE, or through an eventual service center visit, but asking for a maps update on an early release through LTE is a little premature in my opinion. It's not required at this point, it's not widespread, and it's still in beta.

Just be patient....

I don’t get why you think this is a crazy response. It’s a detailed, well reasoned response, more than you would get from probably any other company. You just don’t like the answer.
Exactly.

I’m on WiFi at least 20 hours a day and I haven’t received the new maps. Having WiFi doesn’t guarantee anything. It’s all part of their deliberate push, verify, fix, push, verify, wash, rinse, repeat process.

Yeah if you are willing to pay your own data bill to get updates that are staged for your VIN, you can always use a mobile hotspot...

That’s what I have been doing since I live in an apartment without overnight Wi-Fi in my garage.

With that said I’m still on 10.4 with the old maps despite all of that. My car simply hasn’t been selected by the mothership yet, and no amount of voodoo is going to change that.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
It doesn’t seem unreasonable (especially once the time comes that updates can be requested and scheduled) that service centers should equip themselves to handle a limited number of walk-in (or drive up) customers for WiFi updates, without have to coordinate it with a service visit. Perhaps a ration of 3-5 connections at a time. I’m sure that the majority of owners would prefer to do this at home anyway, but for those who can’t, there should be some other mechanism other than usurping Starbuck’s free WiFi.

Regarding map updates over LTE. I believe the solution is when we can manually request the update. When that is available stopping by Starbucks or other public Wifi to request an update would not be a problem. Or even using your phones WiFi hot spot with enough data can be planned.

Somehow I think Elon was just talking about the ability to request firmware updates, not map updates.

Reactions: MelaniainLA

Best,

I have to say it’s a bummer if situation because we are all excited to get the updates but I’m actually quite impressed by the email you received. Taking the time to explain the situation and trying to find a solution. Still sucks but at least the dude took time to explain the limitations.

Somehow I think Elon was just talking about the ability to request firmware updates, not map updates.
Yes. Maps they claim will ALWAYS require WiFi. And unless you can schedule/guarantee maps update will happen while on WiFi, I can’t be without a phone all day and night using it as a hotspot while praying for my car to be magically selected for the maps update. The other solution is to buy a dedicated WiFi hotspot device and leave it on and connected 24/7. But given that I’ve purchased 2 x $100k vehicles with LTE built in, makes NO sense to have to do that.

I’m not being impatient because I’m willing for my car to be “selected” to receive the maps update. The issue I’m asking them to address is that, because lack of WiFi in apartment garage (and undrrground work garage), I’ll NEVER get the new maps. At the very least they should give us a USB with the maps loaded or let us download maps onto our OWN USB drive at home and personally load it onto the car via its USB connection. ANYTHING is better than this.

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon