Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon reflection my last comment was kind of one sided. Note that when I drive long distances between states or drive in non-busy towns, the existing maps do an acceptable job. But Google and Waze these days will rival the intuition of a seasoned local driver, while the current maps are pretty much like you dug a TomTom out of a garage sale bin.

Okay maybe I harbor too much resentment about the routing algorithm to say nice things :D

Note that when I drive long distances between states or drive in non-busy towns, the existing maps do an acceptable job. But Google and Waze these days will rival the intuition of a seasoned local driver, while the current maps are pretty much like you dug a TomTom out of a garage sale bin.

Well, I don't think there would be much progress if we give nice comments all the time. Constructive criticism helps to drive forward development, at least it does for me.

But I think you are right on point here. In a lot of cases, the navigation in my car goes along with what is recommended by Waze, but the last 20% of cases that sometimes make no sense at all.
Last weekend I was driving in the countryside to go for a hike, having both car and Waze navigation running. The last 25 km the route suggested differed, and the Tesla navigation suggestion was 7 min longer than the Waze and turns out, would use approx. 3% more battery to get there.

So it's things like that, that does get me a little miffed about the current state of the navigation. But, "light years ahead" coming in a few days! (knock on charger, or whatever the EV equivalent to knock on wood is)

I hope they add speed limit viewing all the time, my old 2014 jeep navigation shows speed limits and is dead accurate when they change most of the time. Its nice to know what the limit is so you don't speed in unfamiliar areas that you don't want to./QUOTE]
Change the setting for it to show at 0 km over / under relative speed or something (it will be obvious when you're in the car). That's what I did and it always shows up.

My nav takes me into a layby only to rejoin the road 200 yards further down the road. I would guess that someone at Google would have enough brain cells to prevent this happening?
Unless you know the area you are driving in you can easily add 100 miles to a journey due to the fact that Google maps do not have a "shortest route" option - mine mindlessly follows the fastest roads even if it adds LOADS of miles - this is STUPID for an EV!!

We need someone with brains at Tesla to speak to someone with a brain at Google - it is easily sorted out as TomTom, Garmin etc can do it!!

I really wish Tesla would focus on simple things which make driving more efficient!

My nav takes me into a layby only to rejoin the road 200 yards further down the road. I would guess that someone at Google would have enough brain cells to prevent this happening?
Unless you know the area you are driving in you can easily add 100 miles to a journey due to the fact that Google maps do not have a "shortest route" option - mine mindlessly follows the fastest roads even if it adds LOADS of miles - this is STUPID for an EV!!

We need someone with brains at Tesla to speak to someone with a brain at Google - it is easily sorted out as TomTom, Garmin etc can do it!!

I really wish Tesla would focus on simple things which make driving more efficient!
Routing is not done by Google on Teslas, the Google map is only a overlay on the MCU.

The current nav is confusing because it uses two different sets of maps.

The navigation routing software (Navigon/Garmin) uses an offline map database stored onboard. This map data is supposed to be updated annually, though the current US maps appear to be about 2-3 years out-of-date. The routing software uses this to calculate the routes - and this is the map displayed on the S/X dashboard.

The center console display uses Google map/satellite data which is downloaded from Google's server (which is why the maps can be very slow to refresh at time - Tesla does not appear to be caching any of the Google maps onboard). Google is very good at detecting road changes, the map data appears to get updated within a day or two after a road has changed; the satellite map may take a little longer before it will show the updated roads.

The navigation route is layered ontop of the Google maps.

When the two maps don't match (which happens in areas where there has been construction in the last few years), the route will follow the older maps (even though those roads may not exist and completely ignoring roads added in the last year or two). You can see this issue when driving in an area with changed roads because the dashboard map won't look the same as the console/Google maps.

Hopefully with NAV 2.0, Tesla will get back to using a single map database for routing and for display - and eliminate this confusion...

As for the speed limit data - the TomTom database is a step backward. AP 2 relies on that data for automatically setting the cruising speed or restricting AutoSteer usage. For non-AP cars, it's a very good question - since the data is likely already in the car, why shouldn't the speed limit data also be used for non-AP cars???

The navigation routing software (Navigon/Garmin) uses an offline map database stored onboard. This map data is supposed to be updated annually, though the current US maps appear to be about 2-3 years out-of-date. The routing software uses this to calculate the routes - and this is the map displayed on the S/X dashboard.

The center console display uses Google map/satellite data which is downloaded from Google's server (which is why the maps can be very slow to refresh at time - Tesla does not appear to be caching any of the Google maps onboard). Google is very good at detecting road changes, the map data appears to get updated within a day or two after a road has changed; the satellite map may take a little longer before it will show the updated roads.

When the two maps don't match (which happens in areas where there has been construction in the last few years), the route will follow the older maps (even though those roads may not exist and completely ignoring roads added in the last year or two). You can see this issue when driving in an area with changed roads because the dashboard map won't look the same as the console/Google maps.

Hopefully with NAV 2.0, Tesla will get back to using a single map database for routing and for display - and eliminate this confusion...

As for the speed limit data - the TomTom database is a step backward. AP 2 relies on that data for automatically setting the cruising speed or restricting AutoSteer usage. For non-AP cars, it's a very good question - since the data is likely already in the car, why shouldn't the speed limit data also be used for non-AP cars???
With MCU2 I have zero delay with the center console maps rendering, moving around, etc. So they must be caching something?

As opposed to things, simple or otherwise, that boost the bottom line? I think the stockholders might disagree with you.
I disagree because repeat business is paramount - the poor build quality, stupid nav system over priced cars, massive depreciation etc and the increase in competition could mean Tesla sales fall off a cliff edge - the small things really DO matter!

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Nav really needs a big upgrade, hopefully starts to leverage some of the Waze features:
  • allow for multiple stops
  • Give me alternate route options - currently 1 fits all...it does not!
  • calculate desired battery % for last leg, current software assumes you will charge at final destination which may not always be the case. I need to make 3 stops, pass me thru a supercharger on my last leg so i can charge up for return trip later that day/next day
  • plan and save a trip
  • Mobile app integration so I can plan my trip on phone and access from Tesla

I disagree because repeat business is paramount - the poor build quality, stupid nav system over priced cars, massive depreciation etc and the increase in competition could mean Tesla sales fall off a cliff edge - the small things really DO matter!

while i do agree with you but lets honestly state this.
I dont think you got your telsa because its a full on "luxury" car.

I mean honestly, a Benz. BMW or an Audi would slaughter it interior wise if we looked at pure luxury.

We got the car because it sports one of the longest range an electrical car can give.
We also got the car because its has an extensive super charging network, which can essentially allow you to travel cross country. (YMMV)
We also got the car because its amazingly fun to drive compared to a traditional ICE.

Increase in competition would be good IMO.
It would drive Tesla to increase quality, to stay in business, or innovate to something new that no one else has.
So i actually do look forward to innovation, and heavy competition.
It is the only way the consumer wins.

From my understanding your statement is pretty much spot on except for one thing: Tesla actually gets its traffic conditions from a THIRD vendor (I can't remember the name now) but that service is used to overlay traffic conditions on the center console Google map, and I believe it might also be used for the traffic based Navigon routing.

I also COMPLETELY agree it's BS that the legacy non-AP cars don't display the speed limit. The AP2 cars don't use the cams yet so it's obviously not a regulation obstacle... In fact, if it were a lot of the portable navigation systems that do this today without a camera would be illegal. Tesla just didn't give it to us... either as a "stick" to get us to upgrade or because they prioritize all their software development on the newer cars with AP... or some combo of both.

In general I would agree that repeat business is important, but in the specific case of Tesla what fraction of their revenue in, say, the next five years do you imagine coming from repeat business, rather than simply expanding their (minuscule) customer base?

In general I would agree that repeat business is important, but in the specific case of Tesla what fraction of their revenue in, say, the next five years do you imagine coming from repeat business, rather than simply expanding their (minuscule) customer base?
Well I would normally change my car every 3 years. My P85 is so fab I see little point in changing if I can take out the 4 year extended warranty (hard to know currently as I can't see any detail as links on website do not work!). My experience of the referral team constantly lying to me as to why the prizes have not been sent puts me off Tesla so if there was a viable alternative then I would deffo look at it.
I LOVE Tesla but HATE being lied to and referral prizes taking over 6 months to arrive. Own goals:-(