Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like CHAdeMo is going in alongside the Greenwich, CT Superchargers. Should be interesting to see if anyone ever uses them. Lately the Superchargers seem to always have at least one car there when I am pulling in or passing through.

As for viability as a general option for EVs, CHAdeMo is, in my eyes, no better than the Supercharger, and like a lot worse, in terms of value and penetration. However, it is better, for those who can access it, than an 80amp level 2.

When/if Tesla releases the CHAdeMO->Tesla adapter, CHAdeMO will at least by a viable Level 3 charging option. Assuming that Hookset goes with CHAdeMO but not a Supercharger, it would be great if a group of owners were to chip in to buy a single adapter that could be kept at Hookset. That's the plan for the CHAdeMO in the Fore Street parking garage in Portland ME.

When/if Tesla releases the CHAdeMO->Tesla adapter, CHAdeMO will at least by a viable Level 3 charging option. Assuming that Hookset goes with CHAdeMO but not a Supercharger, it would be great if a group of owners were to chip in to buy a single adapter that could be kept at Hookset. That's the plan for the CHAdeMO in the Fore Street parking garage in Portland ME.
I really hope Tesla doesn't decide to rely on CHAdeMo chargers to fill in their network. They are so slow it would make even moderate trips like to Vermont from Boston pretty annoying.

Also, I'm not sure that a single adapter at Hookset would be enough since on ski weekends there would likely be several Teslas going up in the same time period. With the hour or more charging time it sounds pretty likely there would be a queue, perhaps a couple of hours long on occasion.

I really hope Tesla doesn't decide to rely on CHAdeMo chargers to fill in their network.

I don't think they would. CHAdeMO units are all 50kW, which I think is also the adapter limit, and not fast enough. They know it.

They are so slow it would make even moderate trips like to Vermont from Boston pretty annoying.

However, on the Machiavellian side, if road-tripping Teslas all over the country are hogging CHAdeMOs, it would put pressure on Nissan to come up with a coherent, scalable CHAdeMO network.

On a highway, cruising, I look down - maybe 56 miles left on a 75 mile trip. A Supercharger. Pulling in - one of my favorite things. Just feels good, and right. But I am in NY or CT or DE, and I can't go North or Northwest or Northeast, from Boston.

All in all, Tesla has really left us hanging in New England. We are well-overdue for Auburn, Bourne, and Hooksett and White River Jxn.
Tesla - DEAR Tesla, the time has come to dig into New England. Connect us to Montreal, to the Ski Mountains of Northern New Hampshire and Vermont. To Trureau and Portsmouth and Hanover and Quebec City and the mountains of Maine, and Chicago without having to hours south through New York. The time has come, Tesla. Bring New England In. Come to US. Supercharge Us. We Welcome You. Let's Go! Before coming soon 2014 becomes ohhh...but China is looking good!

What's the difference between Coming Soon and 2014 at this point? With Hartford being Coming Soon - my guess would be East Hartford near the 84/91 intersection. Oddly, I spoke with the CT State Head of EV Infrastructure in July and he said at that point he was not aware of any other sites from Tesla in CT.

Also - I would assume that the 2014 dot North of Hartford would be in Chicopee near the 91/90 intersection. Anyone have details as this would be great for ski season?

What's the difference between Coming Soon and 2014 at this point? With Hartford being Coming Soon - my guess would be East Hartford near the 84/91 intersection. Oddly, I spoke with the CT State Head of EV Infrastructure in July and he said at that point he was not aware of any other sites from Tesla in CT.

Also - I would assume that the 2014 dot North of Hartford would be in Chicopee near the 91/90 intersection. Anyone have details as this would be great for ski season?

At this point, I would suggest not getting your hopes up. Tesla wasn't concerned about the 2013 ski season or the 2014 summer vacation season, so I wouldn't expect they'll be concerned about the 2014 ski season. Maybe once the Model X is released they'll consider that people will want to take it on vacation.

All in all, Tesla has really left us hanging in New England. We are well-overdue for Auburn, Bourne, and Hooksett and White River Jxn.
Tesla - DEAR Tesla, the time has come to dig into New England. Connect us to Montreal, to the Ski Mountains of Northern New Hampshire and Vermont. To Trureau and Portsmouth and Hanover and Quebec City and the mountains of Maine, and Chicago without having to hours south through New York. The time has come, Tesla. Bring New England In. Come to US. Supercharge Us. We Welcome You. Let's Go! Before coming soon 2014 becomes ohhh...but China is looking good!
+1. From here in Portland, it's 244 miles to the Milford SC, so any long-distance travel routes me through East Greenwich, or I must rely on Level 2 charging.

The state of Superchargers in New England is appalling. The only SCs existing or under construction are set up to get Manhattanites to Cape Cod. Convenient for our friend Aaron and for the Kennedys, but only incidentally helpful for most new Englanders traveling within New England. The Auburn site will be a huge help, but we've seen no evidence of permits anywhere else. Realistically, that means that only Auburn and Sagamore will be added yet in 2014.

Tesla Supercharger team: prove me wrong. Please.

I know that TM reps and the person in Maine in charge of business development have been communicating for over 2 months. Frankly, I do not know if the hold up is on TMs or Maine's part. My opinion....for what it is worth....is that China and Europe have been given higher priority that some parts of NA to put up SCs in Q3. I think with the factory closure they may have some limitation on funding. I think Q4 will see a ramp up in deliveries, money coming in and SCs in NA.

My uninformed belief is that "coming soon" means that Tesla is actually in definitive discussions with the property owner, regulators, or that it's under construction. Otherwise, it's still an aspirational plan.

Robert you would think so, but remember a year ago there were many sites that were on the coming soon map that have mysteriously dropped off or are now on the 2014 or later map.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I the only one limiting his kid's college choices to those within supercharging range?

Ed you read my mind. Living in Westchester that does give my daughter most of the east coast and the northern midwest!

Right now 2 top choices are Emory and Brandeis both accessible (or soon to be) via the network!

Hartford? Really?! Hartford, CT? It's 31 miles from Milford to Darien S, and a 13 mile trip from there to Greenwich. 25 miles between the 2 on Long Island. 35 miles between them in NJ.
Honestly I don't think another one in CT is critical at this point. Flesh out the network later, expand the extents first.
I'd gladly trade Sagamore and Auburn (temporarily mind you) for either Portsmouth, NH; Concord, NH; Portland, ME; even Hartford, VT.

I guess CT was an opportunity due to the construction in all those rest areas - but just look at the density of red dots in that area of the map.
Sure any SC they add will be convenient to a number of people, but a day trip to the 3 northern states is still out of the question; not just inconvenient.