Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've exaggerated this quite a bit. The Sagamore SuperCharger won't be possible to complete for this summer season, since it's more than half gone. There is probably no urgent rush to finish it at this point. I'm guessing they have to get Black & Veatch to design the site work, as I doubt they had the "final final" plan completed before the site was approved. That takes time, more time for a site that's raw land, as opposed to the existing parking lots they typically draw up detailed plans for. I'm betting they make some progress on it, and it is completed before the winter weather sets in... They've learned from the East Greenwich, RI Supercharger site that construction in the Northeast during winter ends up costing significantly more money, and taking a lot more time.
So, at this point, there are no other possible "coming soon" or "2014" superchargers in NE (except the Sagamore charger), as they would run into winter? That's what it feels like. A whole year, and New England remains a wasteland.

So, at this point, there are no other possible "coming soon" or "2014" superchargers in NE (except the Sagamore charger), as they would run into winter? That's what it feels like. A whole year, and New England remains a wasteland.

About a month ago I contacted a Freemont friend who put me in touch with the person in charge of SC development in Maine (maybe all New England, but I don't know that for a fact). My brother has lived in Portland for years and has many contacts in the State (not local) government. He put the TM SC person in touch with the State Director of Business Development for Maine. He received a nice email from the TM SC person thanking him for the contact. While I was not asked to keep this confidential specifically I have done so to keep from somehow slowing down the process. However, I have repeatedly tried to get in touch with the TM SC person to just ask 'how is it going/'...no reply so I am sharing this with my New England friends now.
While I do not know the exact locations and we have all talked about the probability of certain locations I can tell you that the three general areas were Kittery, Portland and Bangor. I think we have all speculated that that would coincide with the Kittery Outlet Mall, the Maine Mall in South Portland and the Bangor Mall (Simon owned).
None of this info may be exciting or new, but I know TM is looking at sites in Maine and I do believe we will see one or more before the end of 2014.

Am I missing something about getting to ski areas? Wouldn't typical 32amp J1772 chargers, or 50amp NEMA 14-50 outlets, at the ski areas solve the problem? Aren't they interested in attracting MS (and MX) owners to their ski areas?
Destination charging is ideal, and there are some (few) resorts offering it. I urge everyone to support those businesses, but everyone's got his/her favorite spots. E.g., I cross-country ski, and Jackson NH is the epicenter of X-C. No charging there, though.

Regarding the Portsmouth Supercharger, I had a discussion with the property owner who is working with Tesla to get it installed. I have been sworn to secrecy but will say that the traffic circle will be easy to access getting off I-95. Sorry, but no idea on timeline or number of stalls.

Regarding the Portsmouth Supercharger, I had a discussion with the property owner who is working with Tesla to get it installed. I have been sworn to secrecy but will say that the traffic circle will be easy to access getting off I-95. Sorry, but no idea on timeline or number of stalls.
That's great news! If it's the Portsmouth traffic circle, at Exit 6, that would be very handy indeed. The Roundabout Diner is surprisingly good.

There is nothing on the latest building permit reports. I drive through the route one traffic circle everyday on my way home from work. It would be just like NH to put it at the liquor store.

Maine SuperChargers: As I indicated in an earlier post I have been in contact with the person who heads up the State of Maine Business Development Department. I know he has been in contact with TM Freemont. In our conversations I asked if he could share any news that was not confidential with me. Today I received an email reply from him. His job was to look into the interest of local Maine communities with hosting the Superchargers. He indicated many communities expressed interest including Kittery, Portland and Bangor. THE PROBLEM: All these localities have zoning issues where an SC would not be allowed in COMMERCIALLY zoned areas (strange but true). He will try to help TM work with these localities to see if they can apply for 'special exceptions' so that they may be installed. It is his understanding that the first place where TM will try to get this exception is Kittery.

What is the aspect of the SC that falls outside the zoning restrictions? How do they frame the issue?
There may be better places to start which could be more amenable to SC installation such as Ellsworth (just guessing)

many communities expressed interest including Kittery, Portland and Bangor. THE PROBLEM: All these localities have zoning issues where an SC would not be allowed in COMMERCIALLY zoned areas (strange but true).

There are already CHAdeMO stations in commercial locations in Bangor and Portland. It is interesting that they are allowed but SpC steps over the line.

The Bangor Mall is in a Shopping and Personal Service zone City of Bangor, ME Developing Areas
Conditional Uses are Retail auto service or gasoline service station [Article XIV, § 165-101D(3) and (5)], Auto, truck, boat, manufactured or modular homes, agricultural and construction machinery sales [Article XIV, § 165-101D(8)], and Public utilities [Article XIV, § 165-101D(10)] among others.

Nearby areas are in a General Commercial & Service zone. City of Bangor, ME Developing Areas Conditional uses also include Auto repair shop and light industry [Article XIV, § 165-102D(7) and (8)], and Public utility and public service [Article XIV, § 165-102D(9)]

I would like to know how they classify a SC and interpret these regs. Are SC’s something unique and simply fail the final caveat “Prohibited uses. Any use not specifically permitted in this section…."?

Last edited:
The Bangor Mall is in a Shopping and Personal Service zone City of Bangor, ME Developing Areas
Conditional Uses are Retail auto service or gasoline service station [Article XIV, § 165-101D(3) and (5)], Auto, truck, boat, manufactured or modular homes, agricultural and construction machinery sales [Article XIV, § 165-101D(8)], and Public utilities [Article XIV, § 165-101D(10)] among others.

Nearby areas are in a General Commercial & Service zone. City of Bangor, ME Developing Areas Conditional uses also include Auto repair shop and light industry [Article XIV, § 165-102D(7) and (8)], and Public utility and public service [Article XIV, § 165-102D(9)]

I would like to know how they classify a SC and interpret these regs. Are SC’s something unique and simply fail the final caveat “Prohibited uses. Any use not specifically permitted in this section…."?

I do not know the exact reasons for the restrictions of the SCs. I will try to find out more but would encourage any of my Maine friends who live within those townships...Kittery, Portland and Bangor to ask their local land use departments. My sense is that TM needs to supply detailed information about the SCs to these locals and ask that the zoning departments determine if they need a special exception or fall into existing allowable uses. I do NOT know this as a fact. I do know that TM does have a contact at the state level to help them so hopefully things will start moving.

sorry for any typos....tapping away on my iPhone

Maine SuperChargers: As I indicated in an earlier post I have been in contact with the person who heads up the State of Maine Business Development Department. I know he has been in contact with TM Freemont. In our conversations I asked if he could share any news that was not confidential with me. Today I received an email reply from him. His job was to look into the interest of local Maine communities with hosting the Superchargers. He indicated many communities expressed interest including Kittery, Portland and Bangor. THE PROBLEM: All these localities have zoning issues where an SC would not be allowed in COMMERCIALLY zoned areas (strange but true). He will try to help TM work with these localities to see if they can apply for 'special exceptions' so that they may be installed. It is his understanding that the first place where TM will try to get this exception is Kittery.

I don't live in those locations and don't know people who do. However, I know someone who works for the Natural Resources Council of Maine. I'll mention the issue to him on Monday and suggest that they could help and also push the cities to get electric vehicle charging stations listed as allowed in the zoning rules, focusing on the main cities first (Maine is "over-devolved" so it's a city-by-city thing.) NRCoM were involved in helping to organize and promote a plug-in event in Portland, so it is in their wheelhouse.

Last edited:
I don't live in those locations and don't know people who do. However, I know someone who works for the Natural Resources Council of Maine. They were involved recently with organizing a plug-in event in Portland. I'll mention the issue to him on Monday and suggest that they could help and also push the cities to get electric vehicle charging stations listed as allowed in the zoning rules, focusing on the main cities first (Maine is "over-devolved" so it's a city-by-city thing.) NRCoM were involved in helping to organize and promote a plug-in event in Portland, so it is in their wheelhouse.

Thanks. All help is appreciated. I live in Delaware but all my family is in MA and ME. Both have no active SCs but hopefully this will change very soon. I have at least three families members who have expressed interest in a Tesla but I can't convince them to get one now. They are waiting for SCs as they travel a lot.

Any updates on the other MA location: near Sturbridge? It seems like that one was been on the "soon" list for about a year (when I bought my MS).
That said, I'm glad to see that Sturbridge area, Bourne/Sagamore area, Hartford area and Kittery/Bangore area are in the "coming soon" list. I live in between all of these and have been waiting for them for a long time... Especially the Sturbridge one.

On a positive note, just noticed that Tesla put up about 31 new super chargers in July to date. Unfortunately, only 4 of those were in USA. But, I do like the rate of growth.

Thanks. All help is appreciated. I live in Delaware but all my family is in MA and ME. Both have no active SCs but hopefully this will change very soon. I have at least three families members who have expressed interest in a Tesla but I can't convince them to get one now. They are waiting for SCs as they travel a lot.

Well my contact said that the person who regularly deals with PEV policy is on leave right now. I'm not sure when they'll be back. He mentioned an organization call GrowSmart Maine that might be interested in this issue. They're focused on sustainable development. But they seem to be quite a small organization and probably wouldn't be able to help with smoothing things for Tesla.

Anyway, I'll at least email them and mention the issue of zoning of chargers.