Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just east of the south end of the gas pumps. it actually is in the 'fueling' area of the rest area and unlikely to be used for people wanting to stop, shop, or eat. biggest risk would be people who fuel up and then just 'pull forward'.
The is the area that needs more paving and is covered with Porta-Johns. I didn't look behind to see if the bump out in the curb was installed yet. With the real bathrooms open, the Porta-Johns should disappear soon.

I drove by several times this week (Mon, Tues, and Thurs). On Monday and Tuesday, the pumps were closed. Thursday morning, they were open and the banner was up (I suspect there was a big push to open for the NASCAR races this weekend at NHMS). I looked at the fuel totalizer on one of the pumps, and it had only dispensed ~110 gal of diesel and premium, and ~550 gal of regular, so I suspect they just opened Wed night/Thurs AM.

I wouldn't worry much about people pulling forward into those spaces - they pumps are angling them towards the building, and they'd have to turn right (south) after leaving the pumps and intentionally park there, with a long walk to the building (vs driving over to the big lot where the liquor store is now).

Of course, the overflow parking is just south (left in the image) of this - but if overflow parking is in use then all bets are off anyway.
Or if a truck/trailer comes in and all the truck/trailer spots are taken and they decide to pull up next to the curb, blocking all the stalls. I wouldn't worry too much about tractor trailers; this has never seemed to be a huge trucker hangout (there are 2 large truckstops on Route 3A).

The overflow lot (brown area on the plan) is a giant dirt lot now, full of equipment and construction trailers. It'll probably get paved last.

This is great and opens up the I84/684/287/Tappan Zee/Garden State corridor. Also, this is lot more documentation than we've seen for Auburn MA, despite a lot less time on the Tesla map. It's an easy trip from Edison or Hamilton Twp. NJ, and Rutland, Laconia, Portland are all within reach, opening up a lot of ski country, especially with Hooksett in the works!

I wonder if CT is just that much more cooperative than MA?

Also, it enables the Tappan Zee Bridge route to bypass NYC completely when going between Boston and NJ (and points south):

Boston->West Hartford->Edison, NJ via 84/Tappan Zee/GSP = ~260 miles (100 first leg, 160 2nd leg).

Another (and IMHO better) option for that similar route (when heading north from the bridge) is continue just a tad further south on 287 to the Hutchinson Parkway/Merritt Parkway North. The Greenwich Supercharger is a few miles north from there. Continue on the Merritt (Rt 15) up to 91N, and then you can also hit the West Hartford SC before getting on 84E to Boston. (Same in reverse). Both routes are just about the same mileage.

I used to drive the 84/684/TZ bridge/GSP route all the time between Phila and Boston... until I found the Merritt route, which is a much nicer drive (no trucks!) and the roads are nice fun twisties, too. I've also noticed fewer (but not none) police officers on the Merritt. The 84/684 segment from Hartford to the TZ bridge is some of the most boring roads/driving in New England.

The other advantage of the Merritt route is you have the option of stopping at the Greenwich, CT supercharger, so you could potentially skip the Edison SC (charge at Hamilton Marketplace) on the way north, or skip the Hartford SC on the way south (assuming a charge at the Auburn, MA SC).

- - - Updated - - -

An addendum: Now, I never actually take the TZ bridge when heading south to NJ/Phila/DC, etc. When heading south, I take the Merritt/Hutchinson Parkway past 287 all the way down to the Cross County Parkway (west) to the Saw Mill Parkway (South) to the Henry Hudson Parkway (South) to the GW bridge. There is one extra toll on the HH Parkway, but it saves about 10 miles.

From the Greenwich Supercharger to the Edison SC, this route is about 60 miles. If you take the TZ bridge route, it's about 70 miles.

Of course, if I'm travelling these routes during rush hour or holidays, I always listen to AM 1010 WINS for traffic reports on the bridges and make a determination for the best route.

It's really good to have multiple routes through CT though since between construction, accidents, and just plain heavy traffic we always are carefully checking WAYZ in real time and selecting our route accordingly. They're all very similar if clear, but more often than not one or more aren't.

Agreed. We've been plying all those routes for many years and eventually gravitated toward the Tappan Zee/684 route. But I do agree that the Merritt Parkway is a lot more interesting driving, though the short to nonexistent acceleration lanes are occasionally white knuckle inducing. This summer we felt pretty much forced to stay close to the coast and go through E Greenwich RI, which is about 40 miles out of the way, plus an additional SC stop. But in the future, we'll have many choices and more efficient routes by far!

Another (and IMHO better) option for that similar route (when heading north from the bridge) is continue just a tad further south on 287 to the Hutchinson Parkway/Merritt Parkway North. The Greenwich Supercharger is a few miles north from there. Continue on the Merritt (Rt 15) up to 91N, and then you can also hit the West Hartford SC before getting on 84E to Boston. (Same in reverse). Both routes are just about the same mileage.

Update on Hooksett, NH. I emailed the Supercharging Team directly and asked them to lay all of our speculation to rest. I received the following response.

Hi Eric,

Yes, we are actively working on installing Superchargers in that area.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements. We appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

This is HUGE!!

Maybe. His/her response sounds rather vague. What does he/she mean by "in that area"? I didn't see your email to them but it still sounds up in the air to me.
"In that rest area" would be unequivocal. But "in that area" could mean "in that geographic area", ie, NH, or Northern NE, or New England in general. But I like "in that rest area" better.:wink:

I live about 20 miles away from the West Hartford location. Construction is well underway. Sorry about the quality of the pictures but I always seem to be in that area at night. I'm two years away from my Model S so I plan on using these Superchargers in the future.
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG