Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Noob Owner- Necessary accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Placed my order last week for LR Model 3 last week with delivery sometime in March. Very excited!

As this will be my first Tesla just had a few questions on some accessories that you all think are necessary. Hoping for some good recommendations!

Spigen Screen Protector-Have seen a lot of people talk about these...think its a worthy investment?

Silicone cup holder insert-Necessary?

Recommendation for center someone organizer tray for coins etc?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Placed my order last week for LR Model 3 last week with delivery sometime in March. Very excited!

As this will be my first Tesla just had a few questions on some accessories that you all think are necessary. Hoping for some good recommendations!

Spigen Screen Protector-Have seen a lot of people talk about these...think its a worthy investment?

Silicone cup holder insert-Necessary?

Recommendation for center someone organizer tray for coins etc?

Thanks!
There are so many accessories and I’ve bought way too many. Most are just for fun or personal preference, but all-weather floor mats and maybe one for the trunk and trunk are almost essential.

Obviously each person will have his/her own opinions on what is important. Here's all I've felt I needed to do, in order:

- 14-50 adapter for the UMC (bought from parts counter as I picked up the car)
- Window tint (on day 2) - can't handle so much glare
- Wheel cap/center cap kit so I could take off my aero covers (first week) - I put the aeros back on during long road trips
- Frunk mat (since mine didn't come with one) (2nd week) - didn't NEED it, but it just seemed wrong to put stuff in there without some kind of mat.
- Bought a used UMC generation 1 for daily use, put my original one in the frunk for trip use/emergency use. (about 3 months in)
- Homelink garage door opener add-on (about 3 months in)
- Sunshade for the front roof panel (it gets HOT where I live) (first spring)
- Wireless charging pad (yours already comes with one)

I can't comment on the center console stuff, your console is totally different than mine. That being said, I didn't feel the need to buy anything for mine.

Congrats on the new car!
Regarding screen protector.... In my opinion not worth the time or trouble unless you have a special situation like you have large dogs in the car, or you'll be delivering packages and might scuff/scratch things as you carry to/from the passenger seat. Again, just my opinion.

s-l1000.jpg

After seeing what my iPhone looked like after 3 years with no screen protector, I got the glass one from Abstract Ocean. I don't like screen protectors as I've never had one that didn't have some kind of bubble. This one has been fantastic. You can't tell that it's on, and it was less than $40. I like to frequently clean fingerprints on the go with just a MF cloth. I know that causes micro scratches, but because I have the screen protector, I don't care.

Other than that, you no longer have to deal with shiny piano black plastic so that's good.

I'd definitely upgrade your Tesla Cam / Sentry drive to a heavy duty micro SD card. I used whatever USB drive Tesla recommended and that lasted about 3 months before I got warnings that the drive was slow and recordings would be lost. Don't wait until it's too late and you miss a recording you need.

Screen protector for sure.

I got rimblades to protect against curb rash. Lots of colors to choose from.

Major spurge, but if you're going to do PPF and ceramic, do it now. Lots of opinions about whether to do it, but it has saved my bacon a couple of times. Just be sure the shop does extensive paint correction. I got the XPel Ultimate but that was a couple years ago.

Reactions: bbk3e
After seeing what my iPhone looked like after 3 years with no screen protector, I got the glass one from Abstract Ocean. I don't like screen protectors as I've never had one that didn't have some kind of bubble. This one has been fantastic. You can't tell that it's on, and it was less than $40. I like to frequently clean fingerprints on the go with just a MF cloth. I know that causes micro scratches, but because I have the screen protector, I don't care.

Other than that, you no longer have to deal with shiny piano black plastic so that's good.

I'd definitely upgrade your Tesla Cam / Sentry drive to a heavy duty micro SD card. I used whatever USB drive Tesla recommended and that lasted about 3 months before I got warnings that the drive was slow and recordings would be lost. Don't wait until it's too late and you miss a recording you need.

Did you get HD clear or matte? I think I want to get a screen protector but I've heard matte ones can make the screen less crystal clear

Thanks for the tips all!

I ordered some all weather floor mats for the front and trunk. I hardly ever have people sitting in the back seat so didn't see the need there.

Another question. What about the key fob? A) it looks cool but also B) I have heard a lot of people have trouble with their phone as the key. Is it worth the $150 to buy the Tesla key fob?

Thanks for the tips all!

Another question. What about the key fob? A) it looks cool but also B) I have heard a lot of people have trouble with their phone as the key. Is it worth the $150 to buy the Tesla key fob?

I was also wondering about the key fob. For two reasons:

1. It’s over priced, but I’m sorry, that little damn thing just looks so cool to me. Don’t judge me. :)

2. It seems like valet parking would be a lot easier to explain with a fob than a card.

I have the key fob. It’s really nice, but I never use it. My wife uses it when she drives the car (rarely), since I never bothered to install the app on her phone.

I’ve had no issues using the phone as key. Occasionally, I’ve had to take my phone out of my pocket and unlock the phone to unlock the car. I think it may be related to occasionally having my body in the way of the car. Lately, I’ve been trying to make sure I approach the car with my phone in direct view of the car (I.e., I keep my phone in my left pocket, so try to approach the car with my left side facing the car). I think this has solved the issue, but I am still experimenting.