Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Octopus Agile users, do you all have Ohme chargers or is there still benefit of using a dumber charger like an EO Mini Pro to simply avoid the 4–7pm peak window?

There a series of caveats in reply to this. [other opinions are available]

Agile works best with a domestic battery like a Tesla PowerWall. On Agile, you’re primary target is bridging the 4pm to 8pm (ish) peak time and more if possible. Once you’re achieving this, you’re into sub 10p per kW territory all day by charging the PowerWall at night. Since this is also the best time to charge your car, a dumb charger and your built in car timer works just fine. Without solar or in the winter, this is why I’d consider a basic model.

Then there’s whether or not you work from home. And whether you have a solar PV. For me, the only time a smart charger is useful is when you work from home and have excess solar when you can set the smart element to charge your car with excess which will shift throughout the day according to your domestic activities and clouds etc. That’s when a smart charger will be useful. Set it to only charge with excess solar and you’re charging for free. Any other scenario and you’d probs be best with GO as you would charge your car and possibly a PowerWall with off peak nighttime anyway. In the UK, there are many days where any solar setup (except a bonkers farm setup or similar) won’t ever be making enough to charge your car at 7kW without drawing from the grid. So that’s when you want the charger to be intelligent and track the excess.

We have a bit of both. LEAF is needed at 7.45am amd rarely on the drive daytime so this gets charged overnight on off peak. Model 3 sits on the drive daytime and does few miles so can happily sit and be topped up. As it rarely needs a full charge to complete any driving over a day, it could have 120 miles on it and perform all driving needed so if it ends up fully charged from solar, it’s a bonus.

It’s always about working out your needs and tailoring the system accordingly.

I’d say for a daily commuter 9 to 5 owner, a smart charger is pretty useless as you’re going to just throw as much juice into it as possible at night. None of the smart functionality makes any sense in that scenario.

Octopus Agile users, do you all have Ohme chargers or is there still benefit of using a dumber charger like an EO Mini Pro to simply avoid the 4–7pm peak window?

For Android users who are too tight to pay for TeslaFi (yep that's me), there's a beta app made by one of the community here that facilitates scheduled start/stop charging & climate, I've been using it for months originally with Go and more recently with Agile.

Charge My Tesla Android App - Looking for Beta testers

Just check the day ahead prices (personally I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.fvalleys.octopus), tweak the schedule(s) to suit, works great and takes about 20secs.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves
I'm waiting on delivery of my M3P...this site has been brilliant in terms of helping me choose model and prep for the cars arrival.

I'm going to switch to octopus Go which will suit my uses. Looking for a referral code. Rather the credit went to someone who has taken the time to post on here than pick a random one from the internet... thanks

I'm waiting on delivery of my M3P...this site has been brilliant in terms of helping me choose model and prep for the cars arrival.

I'm going to switch to octopus Go which will suit my uses. Looking for a referral code. Rather the credit went to someone who has taken the time to post on here than pick a random one from the internet... thanks

Sent.

Just keep asking any questions, happy to help.

Sorry, didn't think referral links were allowed but posts/DM about it were ok. Could have picked a random one from the internet but thought asking a member was a good way to say thanks for the help I've had from this forum....

Nothing wrong with asking for a referral code to be sent to you, that is exactly how you are supposed to do it...

The rules just say that you must not post your own referral code directly on the group.

A word of warning. EDF can’t provide you with utilisation graphs on Go Electric. I’ve just switched away from them for precisely this reason.

That’s interesting - though our solar setup provides a better graph of use and also of export. I tend to rely on this.

Yesterday:

125386E3-341C-4728-AFDB-E680D70EAB47.png

Morning all, I'm doing my periodic energy comparisons after being sent an email from MSE. I'm currently on Bulb Vari-Fair and was surprised to see the potential savings by moving to "Exclusive Octopus 12M Fixed February 2020 v2" which apparently gives >£200 saving per year. Is Bulb considered to be that uncompetitive? I'm not currently on a smart meter and often fully use the 7 hours of off peak electricity as the M3P gets frequent use. Yorkshire Energy often even greater savings but seem to be a recent startup. Any views welcome :)

Double check the quoted MSE ‘saving’. It’s usually based on what you would pay if you did nothing and went back on to the standard tariff which is a bit deceptive. Almost as bad as Tesla reducing the quoted price based on fuel savings ;)

Morning all, I'm doing my periodic energy comparisons after being sent an email from MSE. I'm currently on Bulb Vari-Fair and was surprised to see the potential savings by moving to "Exclusive Octopus 12M Fixed February 2020 v2" which apparently gives >£200 saving per year. Is Bulb considered to be that uncompetitive? I'm not currently on a smart meter and often fully use the 7 hours of off peak electricity as the M3P gets frequent use. Yorkshire Energy often even greater savings but seem to be a recent startup. Any views welcome :)
I’d agree with @MacPaul that the comparison sites, including MSE, often don’t give the full picture.

By far the most reliable thing is to do the comparison yourself, using the data for your last 12 months with Bulb. Ten minutes with a calculator will give you the true picture.

From what you’re saying about needing the full seven hours for off-peak charging, that will of course rule out Octopus GO.

Reactions: Adopado