Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it took me just over 2 months to get switched on, but when they did they managed to get all the hourly readings from the meter since it was installed, It was then backdated on the go tariff since day 1 and billed accordingly.

So I have the numbers. I ran a comparison of go Vs agile for the 4 and a bit months since I got the car and the difference all in (including standing charge) was £1.36 in Go's favour...so not exactly much difference, though I suppose if you got agile and worked to reduce your usage in the expensive hours then you might be better off...but not enough to really worry about I think

Reactions: Jeeves and Roy W.
Please can anyone help me compare Octopus Agile to the EDF tariff? My charges are frequently longer than the five hours afforded by Octopus Go, so the EDF tariff is better for me.

I was wondering if Agile was likely to beat the 8.01p/kWh if I charged outside the peak period. The website allowing you to get a quote based on the last 12 months of market data doesn’t work on my device and Octopus haven’t responded to my email enquiry.

Please can anyone help me compare Octopus Agile to the EDF tariff? My charges are frequently longer than the five hours afforded by Octopus Go, so the EDF tariff is better for me.

I was wondering if Agile was likely to beat the 8.01p/kWh if I charged outside the peak period. The website allowing you to get a quote based on the last 12 months of market data doesn’t work on my device and Octopus haven’t responded to my email enquiry.

Assuming large majority of your consumption is 'off-peak', I think you would be better off on Agile - I calculate that the average of the cheapest 6 hours each day for the last 12 months comes to 6.53p/kWh (for London region, wouldn't be too dissimilar for other regions).

Link below is to a sheet which will do that calculation - an equivalent Octopus Agile 'off peak' rate - given a number of hours for the 'off-peak' period and any given region;
Octopus Agile Tariff Analysis

Reactions: Jeeves

I've just swapped to people's energy - 7.28p/kWh off peak. Their standard rate is good as well, I suppose it all depends on looking at your usage throughout the year, and how much you benefit from the economy 7 through normal household use.
In addition hom many actual additional charging hours will occur on this period.

• Informative

With my usage over the last full week EDF would have cost £22.09 vs £15.30 for Agile.

If you charged overnight more frequently than I did you would have seen an even bigger saving on Agile.

The real question though is do you use much between 4-7pm?

• Informative
I thought I had read somewhere in the thread that Octopus didn't do an export tariff (can't find it now if I did). Anyway, I did just find this on the API:

"code":"AGILE-OUTGOING-19-05-13"
"direction":"EXPORT"
"full_name":"Agile Outgoing Octopus May 2019"
"display_name":"Agile Outgoing Octopus"
"description":"Outgoing Octopus Agile rate pays you for all your exported energy based on the day-ahead wholesale rate."
"is_variable":false
"is_green":true
"is_tracker":false
"is_prepay":false
"is_business":false
"is_restricted":false
"term":null
"available_from":"2018-01-01T00:00:00Z"
"available_to":null
"links":[{"href":"https://api.octopus.energy/v1/products/AGILE-OUTGOING-19-05-13/"
"method":"GET"
"rel":"self"}]
"brand":"OCTOPUS_ENERGY"

I thought I had read somewhere in the thread that Octopus didn't do an export tariff (can't find it now if I did). Anyway, I did just find this on the API:

"code":"AGILE-OUTGOING-19-05-13"
"direction":"EXPORT"
"full_name":"Agile Outgoing Octopus May 2019"
"display_name":"Agile Outgoing Octopus"
"description":"Outgoing Octopus Agile rate pays you for all your exported energy based on the day-ahead wholesale rate."
"is_variable":false
"is_green":true
"is_tracker":false
"is_prepay":false
"is_business":false
"is_restricted":false
"term":null
"available_from":"2018-01-01T00:00:00Z"
"available_to":null
"links":[{"href":"https://api.octopus.energy/v1/products/AGILE-OUTGOING-19-05-13/"
"method":"GET"
"rel":"self"}]
"brand":"OCTOPUS_ENERGY"
It has been reported before but you can’t have Outgoing and Go together

Go vs Agile
The scores are in!
Sample size 1 house, 4 months of winter data on Octopus Go.
No behavioural change re usage timing.
Some but not lots of overnight charging due to free electricity at work.

Drumroll.....

I would have been £9.41 better off on Agile.

I'm starting to think I might like the idea of being paid to charge my car....

Outgoing has been around for a while, but cannot be used in conjunction with Go - but can with Agile.

Introducing Outgoing Octopus: The UK's first smart export tariff

Basically you give up your 50% deemed export part of FiT in return for metered export at 5.5p/kWh. I think my FiT export rate is 5.38p * 50% = 2.69p/kWh so a good rate if you self consume < 50% but not great if you self consume more than 50%. Before getting an EV we were just over 50% export, but I suspect that will be a bit less now, but too early to tell as so far we have not been in a position to charge car whilst generating worthwhile power - not expecting it to be much different as the EV is not at home much during the day.

Octopus Agile users, do you all have Ohme chargers or is there still benefit of using a dumber charger like an EO Mini Pro to simply avoid the 4–7pm peak window?

Just using a standard Tesla HPWC here.

It all depends on just how 'agile' you want to be and how much you need to charge every day.

I have not yet found it is worth spending money to change my charger when in reality I'd just be chasing only a few pennies a night in improvements.

I don't charge every night, and when I do I'm typically using only about 20kWh so I'm just picking the cheapest 3 hour slot.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves and Roy W.