Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New outlet to garage, how much$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahh. I'm just using the 110v adapter that comes with the UMC, so I guess even when plugged into a 20a circuit, but not the pin configuration you show, it won't take more than 12a? Hard to believe those little adapters have any intelligence, but apparently they do.

I note that even the 5-20 maxes out at 16a, 20% surge/safety factor.

Yep. The 5-20 adapter maxes out at 16 amps. I get a consistent "5mph" which is actually more like 5.5mph or something like that. I haven't actually bothered to do the math, but when I just estimate in my head that the charging will be at 90% in 8 hours, the app shows something less, and when I check the notifications on the app it shows that the charging completed in less than 8 hours.

On a side note, I created a home made Nema 14-30 to 5-20 adapter cable. It allows me to charge at 11-12 mph from our dryer outlet. It was less than $50 in parts from my local hardware store (home depot) and it gives me a backup plan in case I need some faster charging at home. I've only used it once just to test it out that it worked. One good thing about it is that I don't have to dial down the amperage. I just use the Tesla 5-20 adapter with my UMC, and it automatically sets the current limit to 16A.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Ahh. I'm just using the 110v adapter that comes with the UMC, so I guess even when plugged into a 20a circuit, but not the pin configuration you show, it won't take more than 12a? Hard to believe those little adapters have any intelligence, but apparently they do.

I note that even the 5-20 maxes out at 16a, 20% surge/safety factor.

1. EV charging is a continuous load so the NEC says you reduce the rating by 20%.

2. There are resistors in the adapters that tell the car what the maximum is.