Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any love?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm also pretty confused about the fact that if you order a brand new P85D you can't get the Ludicrous mode unless you first upgrade to the P90D. Yet we can retrofit our P85D with the Ludicrous mode without the extra 5kWh. Those two facts don't make sense to me. Are they doing something different with our P85Ds than on a new P90D? Or are they just placing an artificial restriction on not allowing Ludicrous mode on new P85Ds?

I believe they're going to phase out the 85kwh model much like the 60 kwh model.

On the P85D ludicrous mode, they're just putting in the new smart fuses for higher amperage, but same 85kwh battery pack and decreased range because of performance.

I got it from the youtube comment
You read that wrong. The P85DL will have the same range as the P85D, the P90DL will have 15 miles more range than the P85DL thanks to the extra 5 kWh of storage. Ludicrous mode should not change efficiency unless you are using Ludicrous power.

It would be interesting to know how the new inconel contactor + fuse performs to the old setup. It's probably negligible in terms of performance under normal driving conditions, but probably has lower resistance under high power conditions. It's pretty innovative tech - would love to know if this has been done for other applications before.

It would be interesting to know how the new inconel contactor + fuse performs to the old setup. It's probably negligible in terms of performance under normal driving conditions, but probably has lower resistance under high power conditions. It's pretty innovative tech - would love to know if this has been done for other applications before.

Some interesting use cases listed here including a couple by SpaceX:

Inconel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what's going on on this board, but this incessant whining in intolerable. Especially because it's full of half-truths and misinformation. I'm starting to think it's being astroturfed by big oil, and the time should be taken to purge it all.

This announcement is awesome. The price of the fully configured P90D barely went up from the old P85D. I know because I probably configure a car every week, waiting for the right time to buy.

As an owner of a 70D I don't have emotional elements wrapped up in all of this, but I agree with the people "whining" because I heard what Elon Musk said, and what he tweeted. I saw what was promised/alluded to versus what was delivered.

Now there is a lot of bad information. Like I have no idea how a fully configured P90D isn't $13,000 more than P85D because that's how much the fuse plus the larger battery costs. Was there some other price drop that I didn't see? The base price was $105K and still is. All the options look to be the same price as well.

Now there is a lot of bad information. Like I have no idea how a fully configured P90D isn't $13,000 more than P85D because that's how much the fuse plus the larger battery costs. Was there some other price drop that I didn't see? The base price was $105K and still is. All the options look to be the same price as well.

I have found no option price changes other than the new options of RANGE and LUDICROUS which indeed add up to +$13K on the P90D.

I suspect the traditional fuse has a +/- variance that the Tesla engineers found to be unacceptable for some part of the power train.... for example the wires, motor, inverter or other things.

In all probability, the new smart fuse and contactors reduce the +/- variance or TM would not have used them.

If that is the case then... are some components of the drive train nearing critical design limits? Or does the smart fuse allow TM to continually step up future performance in the future?

ie: 1500 Amps today becomes 1600 Amps in 6 months then 1700 Amps in a year.... kind of similar to clock speeds in a CPU chip.

Then again, I think of all of the other sub-systems in the drive train and wonder what amount of head-room exists in the battery climate system, the inverters and the motors and wirings.

The smart fuse simply reduces the gap between run and trip. You are no longer relying on melting a necking point when you exceed a current level which is the case today. To get the thing to "blow" at X it must be "necked" down so far and thus its resistance increased so much that it can only handle Y continuous current. Once you use active monitoring by a chip and combine that with a charge to literally blow up the link you can move X and Y much closer to each other. Given the trip current stays the same, you can increase the running current which is how Tesla is now pulling more power from the same battery pack.

I don't know what's going on on this board, but this incessant whining in intolerable. Especially because it's full of half-truths and misinformation. I'm starting to think it's being astroturfed by big oil, and the time should be taken to purge it all.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. I own a P85D. I had already ordered a P85+ and upgraded it to the P85D for a significant amount of extra money. I did this based purely on trusting the data provided by Tesla in the announcement, the most important of which to me was the 691hp number. I would not have spent the extra money for a totally irrelevant increase in 0-100km/h speed. I spent it because I expected the car to at least match the 510hp Jag it replaced when accelerating at higher speeds. I find this to be a reasonable expectation if the car actually delivered anything close to 691hp. But it does nothing of the sort, and now it seems it never will.

The only reason I’m not making much more of a hassle of this is because I like the car a lot anyway. But I would have been equally happy with an 85D because the P85D doesn’t deliver anything remotely worth the difference in price. And I strongly feel that Tesla violated my trust by making me think this would be different.

I still think the Model S is a great car, and I am still likely to buy another after this one. I will never make the mistake of trusting any performance numbers given by them, though, and I will advise anyone I talk to to do the same.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. I own a P85D. I had already ordered a P85+ and upgraded it to the P85D for a significant amount of extra money. I did this based purely on trusting the data provided by Tesla in the announcement, the most important of which to me was the 691hp number. I would not have spent the extra money for a totally irrelevant increase in 0-100km/h speed. I spent it because I expected the car to at least match the 510hp Jag it replaced when accelerating at higher speeds. I find this to be a reasonable expectation if the car actually delivered anything close to 691hp. But it does nothing of the sort, and now it seems it never will.

The only reason I’m not making much more of a hassle of this is because I like the car a lot anyway. But I would have been equally happy with an 85D because the P85D doesn’t deliver anything remotely worth the difference in price. And I strongly feel that Tesla violated my trust by making me think this would be different.

I still think the Model S is a great car, and I am still likely to buy another after this one. I will never make the mistake of trusting any performance numbers given by them, though, and I will advise anyone I talk to to do the same.

+1. Agree on all points. Short and concise.

In terms of performance numbers (as opposed to horsepower), Tesla has indeed delivered on their announced numbers for the P85D: 0-60 in 3.2 (now 3.1) seconds and qtr mile of 11.8 seconds @ 115 mph. Since EV's have totally different performance characteristics from ICE cars it might have been prudent to analyze these numbers vs. just looking at HP rating. By subtraction 60-115 mph in the P85D takes 8.6 seconds - a big clue that it falls off the power curve pretty quickly. I wonder how these figures compare to those of your Jag?

The ICE analogy would be buying a turbo car based on its peak HP and being disappointed that real world acceleration is not good because it has significant turbo lag.

The ICE analogy would be buying a turbo car based on its peak HP and being disappointed that real world acceleration is not good because it has significant turbo lag.

I disagree. When an ICE manufacturer claims xxx hp, the expectation is that somewhere between the pistons and the wheels, at some RPM and speed, it can be measured to make xxx hp. Doesn't matter if half of the power is lost in the drivetrain, if it can be measured, you can claim it.

Similarly, the expectation was set that the P85D would make 691hp at some speed, somewhere between the battery and the tires. We now know that the maximum discharge rate at the battery is 100kw short of what would have been needed. A more apt ICE analogy is that while an engine is capable of xxx hp, it never makes more than 80% of xxx because the fuel line is too narrow to feed it the necessary gasoline.