Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone confirm they have a 3 Powerwall system with PG&E and the export everything option active?

Tesla support claims max number of Powerwalls to export to the grid is 2 with PG&E and won't budge.

BB128DAA-99EF-490D-98D3-02DBFD51A31C.jpeg

So, tesla says your account is flagged to not enable I am on phone now with tesla, again, trying to get enabled. Might have luck this time.

Yeah the tesla rep looked up my gateway serial # and dug through my account. They said I had a block put in place by my utility. I asked about my interconnection allowing stored solar exports... but Tesla said the only way to remove the block was if PG&E removed the block, They recommended I have PG&E call Tesla (sounds absurd right?)

Reactions: h2ofun
Can anyone confirm they have a 3 Powerwall system with PG&E and the export everything option active?

Tesla support claims max number of Powerwalls to export to the grid is 2 with PG&E and won't budge.

View attachment 798849

@MJ_CA_2019 has 3x PW2 with NEM2-MT and EV2A. He has claimed the ITC and received SGIP. He has the new options.

Okay, here is what I got from Tesla this morning.

I heard the number 1 issue support got is why no grid charging. The person I talked with said he was one of the vocal minority pushing for the change for a long time. So now the burden is on folks to do whats legal. Meaning, if you took the ITC, no grid charging he said.

I guess sunrun cannot do grid charging. But since I was sunnova, he put in my file that I have proof of this, which I have.

There is a bit in the fw control that says set to deny grid charging. So all that had to be done to change is change this one bit, which he did for both of my gateways. (Interesting the other support folks seems to not have known this, so good one keeps calling back). Said it should be working within 48 hours, will check and let me know.

also asked about export anything, without any comments about PGE. He said there was no special bit, that once the grid charging is enabled and working, that should work to. Shall see, one step at a time.

@MJ_CA_2019 has 3x PW2 with NEM2-MT and EV2A. He has claimed the ITC and received SGIP. He has the new options.

Minor Correction: I'm on TOU-B and have only the Grid Charging option, not the export one.

My situation is different than most here. I did it backwards and got my PowerWall 2 first (back in mid-2018, using SGIP) and my solar panels (small 3.8kW system installed by Tesla, used ITC) late in 2019. Additionally, I'm on SMUD, and it seems everyone else so far in the discussion is on PG&E. I'm going to do all I can to cut ties with PG&E as my gas provider and go all electric as soon as I can. Their rates (both gas and electric) are out of control.

So, I got the Grid Charging (but not Export) option listed, and it is working as expected (after I made some changes to my pricing schedule to add Super Off-Peak for 12a-6a as I'm an EV owner and get a 1.5c/kWh credit). Does the SGIP agreement determine when I'm "officially" able to enable/use this Grid Charging option? If so, does anyone know what that requirement entails? As best I recall, it was 52 full charge/discharge cycles per year for 5 years, but when I first got the PW obviously it was charging/discharging from the grid. So, even though I added solar later, should I be okay using the Grid Charging option now? Or is that a conflict with the ITC I took when I purchased the solar?

Last, have any SMUD customers tried yet to get Tesla to enable that Export option? I honestly am not sure I'd use it over the Grid Charging, but it's always nice to have options.

also asked about export anything, without any comments about PGE. He said there was no special bit, that once the grid charging is enabled and working, that should work to. Shall see, one step at a time.
I have only the Grid Charging but not export. Only 2 PWs and nothing in any documents from PG&E state restrictions for anything.

I have not turned on Grid Charging but I don't think that is a trigger to get the Export to display.

I have only the Grid Charging but not export. Only 2 PWs and nothing in any documents from PG&E state restrictions for anything.

I have not turned on Grid Charging but I don't think that is a trigger to get the Export to display.
He told me when the advanced option happens, under that should be both grid charging and export. But, will see if I can get the advanced option first with grid. If no export, will call back since he said nothing had to be done, but, as I found, depending on who you talk with., .....

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
So, even though I added solar later, should I be okay using the Grid Charging option now? Or is that a conflict with the ITC I took when I purchased the solar?
AFAIK, the conflict for Grid Charging only applies if you took the ITC when you purchased the Powerwalls. Since you got your Powerwalls first, you have no grid charging conflict. SGIP just has a discharge requirement, not restrictions on how you charge the Powerwalls. Those like you who have Powerwalls without solar obviously have no choice but to grid charge, so that's perfectly ok from SGIP's point of view.

Reactions: UCIBtheG

We're on a NEM2-Paired Storage interconnection agreement. Customer service agent wouldn't budge, so I went ahead and emailed an engineer I have a contact with to see if he can offer any clarification.

I can only think of once where I would have turned on grid charging. Dead of winter and no solar production. Other than that, I would never need it, too much solar. :) I learned from you to do it BIG, just to make PGE happy :)

I posted earlier… I don’t want to grid charge now. My interconnection forbids it. However my interconnection allows exports from the ESS.

I just want the feature to grid export my solar generation to generate enough peak/shoulder time credits to offset my wintertime peak/shoulder usage.

Tesla says I cannot grid charge or grid export unless PG&E removes the block.

PG&E blocked me from adding more solar, they blocked my grid charging, and they’re blocking me grid exports.

I posted earlier… I don’t want to grid charge now. My interconnection forbids it. However my interconnection allows exports from the ESS.

I just want the feature to grid export my solar generation to generate enough peak/shoulder time credits to offset my wintertime peak/shoulder usage.

Tesla says I cannot grid charge or grid export unless PG&E removes the block.

PG&E blocked me from adding more solar, they blocked my grid charging, and they’re blocking me grid exports.
they love you

I am less than a year from reaching the 5 year threshold since Powerwall installation. I would only save ~$200/year by arbitraging my positive usage during Peak and Part-Peak Winter by grid charging during Off-Peak. I suppose bill the reduction could be more than that because Part-Peak could be slightly negative NEM by allowing some solar export and having no consumption. I have thought about adding more hardware (DIY batteries and grid-tie inverter) to prevent this higher priced usage, but the cost is more than I could recover with the arbitrage within a reasonable period.

2022 True-up Reconciliation.jpg

The NGOM (or the exception of an NGOM) removes all value from the 'Export Everything' setting.

The NGOM is installed for systems >10 kW for exactly this purpose, to prevent battery energy accruing NEM credits. The export credits are capped, at every 15min interval, to the amount of solar production measured by the NGOM. At best you use battery energy equal to your home load and force 100% solar to grid, which already happens today.

There is an exception to having an NGOM installed, by using using UL1741 PCS controls, and using the 'Import-Only' mode. A very good fact sheet is here (CALSSA content)

Short story
- If you have more than 2 PWs and a NGOM - you don't want to export energy, because you won't be paid for it
- If you nave more than 2 PWs and no NGOM - you did not have to install the NGOM, because your interconnection dictates PW only charge from the grid and not export to it.

Last edited:
The NGOM (or the exception of an NGOM) removes all value from the 'Export Everything' setting.

The NGOM is installed for systems >10 kW for exactly this purpose, to prevent battery energy accruing NEM credits. The export credits are capped, at every 15min interval, to the amount of solar production measured by the NGOM. At best you use battery energy equal to your home load and force 100% solar to grid, which already happens today.

There is an exception to having an NGOM installed, by using using UL1741 PCS controls, and using the 'Import-Only' mode. A very good fact sheet is here (CALSSA content)

Short story
- If you have more than 2 PWs and a NGOM - you don't want to export energy, because you won't be paid for it
- If you nave more than 2 PWs and no NGOM - you did not have to install the NGOM, because your interconnection dictates PW only charge from the grid and not export to it.
Personally, I have zero desire to play games exporting my PW's even if it gets setup.

My interconnection I pasted above forbids me from grid charging and makes my export include the batteries.

I had asked for my interconnection to be flipped, grid charge but no ESS export. And PG&E denied that request.