Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall2 Install: Standby Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were you present during the commissioning (testing) of your system after install, and did it work then? If so, then either something failed between then and now (possible) or you are missing turning something on.

I was present. All worked well, and worked fine for several days. As best as I can tell, I was running off version 1.49 and now it is version 1.50.1. That is the only thing that changed. I have also walked through the entire process of resetting the system (both the solar inverter through gateway, as well as the PWs). I've left it alone the last couple of days though.

In the meantime, I have set the PWs to "Reserver for Power Outage" at 100%. They are being drained, I assume naturally? I'm losing ~3% per day.

Solar is definitely powering my home during the day. The Powerwall is the only outlier in what is non-functioning. The actual gateway (via the IP) is throwing errors, as seen below (and as I provided earlier). So, it appears to be all PW related.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.52.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.52.23 PM.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 261
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The problem in your solar CTs are reversed. You could fix this by swapping them or going into the PW configuration and checking the "flip" box for them. Tesla can also do this remotely if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Once they see that screen, they will know what to do.

HERO!

All systems are a GO. I owe you some beer, my friend. That was precisely the problem. For those looking that may find this thread via Google, I logged in via Installer and clicked the flip box, as described above. All is good!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.08.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.08.51 PM.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
WARNING - if you log in as the installer, the system may automatically go into standby, requiring you to manually re-activate the system using the web interface.

I was checking something on our system a few weeks ago and used the installer interface and forgot about this.

A few days later I checked the Tesla app to see how our systems were doing, and found out the system had been on standby for a few days - since I had logged into the installer interface...

WARNING - if you log in as the installer, the system may automatically go into standby, requiring you to manually re-activate the system using the web interface.

I was checking something on our system a few weeks ago and used the installer interface and forgot about this.

A few days later I checked the Tesla app to see how our systems were doing, and found out the system had been on standby for a few days - since I had logged into the installer interface...
and how did you re-activate?

The problem in your solar CTs are reversed. You could fix this by swapping them or going into the PW configuration and checking the "flip" box for them. Tesla can also do this remotely if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Once they see that screen, they will know what to do.
What are we referring to when we say " You could fix this by swapping them or going into the PW configuration and checking the "flip" box for them." I'm not sure where the PW configuration is at. Is this on the TEG? My PW (and overall system) were installed about 4 month ago and we just got our net meter installed this week. System appears to be started and running but the PW have been in standby and remained at 0%. TEG shows to have been started.

What are we referring to when we say " You could fix this by swapping them or going into the PW configuration and checking the "flip" box for them." I'm not sure where the PW configuration is at. Is this on the TEG? My PW (and overall system) were installed about 4 month ago and we just got our net meter installed this week. System appears to be started and running but the PW have been in standby and remained at 0%. TEG shows to have been started.

You might want to power cycle your system. If that doesnt work, call tesla energy on their support line and let them troubleshoot it / help you re start the system. Thats what you paid for, no need to log into installer interface as a regular user unless that is something you were going to do (and accept responsibility for doing) anyway.

Funny to read this post years later. Quite literally have the exact same issue. New install. Pending pto. Battery stuck on standby after working normally for a few days.

Just drains about 2-3% each day. Tesla app shows erroneous info. Basically the “usage” us always the same as the “solar” number regardless of thes on. Feud usage is always “zero” - not true per SCE website.

Since it worked fine for a week and then started this, could it be possible the installer did it remotely? sCE? Anyway to check?
IMG_3759.jpeg

Really? If it gets to zero, the battery is dead? How low can one go? If I turn it off manually, won’t the energy still gradually dissipate still?
False info. There is a reserve that the system won't let you get into, and it will trickle a little bit from the grid to stay healthy.

Turning off is a good idea, it can last a few weeks in that state on a low charge with little power level change.

Reactions: jgleigh
False info. There is a reserve that the system won't let you get into, and it will trickle a little bit from the grid to stay healthy.

Turning off is a good idea, it can last a few weeks in that state on a low charge with little power level change.
Yes, and no. Turning it off helps, but if the reserve goes to true zero, it is a brick.

@Mike7564 This is not something that I would let slide.

Yes, and no. Turning it off helps, but if the reserve goes to true zero, it is a brick.

@Mike7564 This is not something that I would let slide.

It won't go to true zero if off. The discharge rate when the battery is at 5% is EXTREMELY low. When ours were installed, they sat off, at 10%, for 6 weeks (waiting for a part to complete install - we were early adopters in 2017). In 6 weeks, they lost 1%.

thanks all. Here’s the update. I ended up just hitting the restart button on the gateway and the system is working normally again.

Not sure what that means in the big scheme of things. Ie was there a problem somewhere? I read something in another thread about if remote changes are made (by the installer) the system switches to standby until a restart is made. Or maybe the installer did something since are pre pto?