Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New production (late 2014) new TPMS sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't targeting that at you (actually didn't see your post until after I'd made mine). I seriously was considering buying another set of wheels for my September 2014 vehicle. I decided to wait since it didn't make sense to tie the money up in wheels/tmps/tires for a few months.
Sounded like a dig :smile:clearly I'm a bit defensive.

- - - Updated - - -

My assumption is your car will continue to use the v1 sensors and will not work with v2. Likewise, the cars with autopilot use v2 sensors and will not work with v1. They are mutually exclusive.

Not sure I understand. I no longer have a P85+ but I still have the winter wheels I bought for it presumably with V1 sensors. I'm waiting for my P85d with the intention of putting my winter wheels on it. Given that the P85D is designed for V2 sensors I'm wondering what will happen if I put these wheels on (as I will have to do very soon) without upgrading the Tpms sensors. I'm guessing I will probably have tire pressure warnings, though its possible that they could work for basic reporting but wouldn't work with new software features. Given that it might not be possible to get the new TPMS sensors and I need winter tires on my car ASAP I may find out soon enough. I will ask my DS too.

I was told V2s are $50 each (which is a bargain if you have ever tried to buy these things for other cars like BMW) and should be in stock in two weeks. I was given instructions on how to make use of them but was asked to verify that the instructions work before posting. I suspect a December delivery will beat me to it :)

As for heads up on the new sensors and such, Tesla has to be free to make these kinds of changes in their production. I'm sure they will continue to stock the older TPS sensors should you need one. Also, Worth has sensors that are easily programmable for a particular application which gives you another option.

Sounded like a dig :smile:clearly I'm a bit defensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure I understand. I no longer have a P85+ but I still have the winter wheels I bought for it presumably with V1 sensors. I'm waiting for my P85d with the intention of putting my winter wheels on it. Given that the P85D is designed for V2 sensors I'm wondering what will happen if I put these wheels on (as I will have to do very soon) without upgrading the Tpms sensors. I'm guessing I will probably have tire pressure warnings, though its possible that they could work for basic reporting but wouldn't work with new software features. Given that it might not be possible to get the new TPMS sensors and I need winter tires on my car ASAP I may find out soon enough. I will ask my DS too.

We are in the same boat except I have two sets of wheels and tires with v1 sensors. My assumption is that you will receive permanent tire pressure warnings if you don't replace your v1 sensors with v2 sensors.

I was told V2s are $50 each (which is a bargain if you have ever tried to buy these things for other cars like BMW) and should be in stock in two weeks. I was given instructions on how to make use of them but was asked to verify that the instructions work before posting. I suspect a December delivery will beat me to it :)

As for heads up on the new sensors and such, Tesla has to be free to make these kinds of changes in their production. I'm sure they will continue to stock the older TPS sensors should you need one. Also, Worth has sensors that are easily programmable for a particular application which gives you another option.

I normally agree with this, except that several people specifically asked if their current wheel sets would work with the P85D and were told yes. It's not a big deal. I just spent 130k for the P85D and took a loss on the P85+. Another $200 isn't going to kill me.

I got confirmation from my local Service Center that the TPMS system has changed and that they have the new ones for $50 each.

<sigh...> :frown: I hope that Tesla had a good reason for making the change.

They do if the new TPMS sensors allow them to display individual tire pressures. This also sucks for everyone who came before, and who can't upgrade to the new sensors.

I agree they should be free to make these changes and I'm guessing they wiill probably provide improved TPMS features. In my case it would have been good to know this sooner and preferably when I asked them about possible incompatibilities. That being said they are now making every effort to get some new sensors to the SC in time for my cars arrival so I'll hopefully have some new sensors arriving with my car. According to my DS, if you have the old sensors on the wheels with one of the newer cars you will get [FONT=&quot]a sensor fault warning on the dash but normal driving should be possible.
[/FONT]

I have a lot of good info for this thread :).

I ordered new wheels/tires in July and received my P85 in mid-October. (It was one of the first cars to start production in Q4). At the time the D/autopilot hadn't been announced, of course.

My sensors (from TireRack) which were already installed in the new wheels/tires would not be read by the car. After going through hoops to finally figure out why, my service center said the new sensors are Continentals and the new receivers are not compatible with the old TPMS sensors. I bought new TPMS sensors from Tesla (yes, $50 a pop) and had them installed. For the last 4 weeks or so I've been driving around with my TPMS warning because (we suspect) the sensors are in "sleep" mode and need to be activated. The local tire shop here had no success activating them, so I've been waiting for a ranger to come to town to wake my sensors up.

(I heard today that a ranger will be here on the 12th to get them awakened).

Back to the Tire Rack sensors: I don't know what the status is now, but last I heard Tire Rack had gotten ahold of a new autopilot sensor car with v6.0 and were testing on it. Now, it's possible that my original sensors from Tire Rack were also sleeping and would have worked, but the service center said they likely weren't compatible. Either way, Tire Rack should be aware of the change.

As for functionality, they have the same functionality as the previous sensors (but are now quite a bit cheaper!)

hmm here is the part number for what I purchased for my winter setup last Friday. Tesla base 19's, the centre caps as well as TPMS. Tried to read the info on them, all I was able to make out was Made in Mexico.

Since I JUST purchased them, I'm assuming they've got to be the correct/new ones. I'll send out an email and report back with an update.

TPMS, SENSOR, 433 MHz SILVER VALVE
4STEM (1034602-00-A)

hmm here is the part number for what I purchased for my winter setup last Friday. Tesla base 19's, the centre caps as well as TPMS. Tried to read the info on them, all I was able to make out was Made in Mexico.

Since I JUST purchased them, I'm assuming they've got to be the correct/new ones. I'll send out an email and report back with an update.

TPMS, SENSOR, 433 MHz SILVER VALVE
4STEM (1034602-00-A)

My email order back at the beginning of the year shows:
Modified 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
On my paper invoice it shows S147 modified OE

Apparently they were $97 a piece.

I'm not certain of this, but somehow I thought the old TPMS sensors were 315MHz. If we can confirm that all they did was change frequency, then the Worth sensors will work as well. For reference, there are two contact pins that are closed when the Worth sensors are installed which activates them. This was done so that they could sit on the shelf without loosing battery life and constantly transmitting messages that may interfere with other equipment.

Please post the learning process when the sensors are activated. With luck, you will be required to describe the position on the car for each sensor and the type of wheel/tire configuration so that the right air pressure limits are set and errors can be identified by corner.

Please post the learning process when the sensors are activated. With luck, you will be required to describe the position on the car for each sensor and the type of wheel/tire configuration so that the right air pressure limits are set and errors can be identified by corner.

But even if the learning process is unchanged from whatever it has been, that could just mean that the changes we are hoping to see would require the sensors be "re-trained" once the new software is available, right? So while a new pairing procedure as you describe would be a pretty positive sign that the improvements we are hoping for are coming, a lack of a new pairing procedure is not necessarily a negative, right?

I'm not certain of this, but somehow I thought the old TPMS sensors were 315MHz. If we can confirm that all they did was change frequency, then the Worth sensors will work as well. For reference, there are two contact pins that are closed when the Worth sensors are installed which activates them. This was done so that they could sit on the shelf without loosing battery life and constantly transmitting messages that may interfere with other equipment.

The sensors I got back in January or so were 433 MHz and they worked with my car VIN 30287.

Just a quick data point for all.

FWIW, our Sep 2014 Production MS was NOT able to read the sensors from a spare set of wheels with V1 TPMS installed. This confused the heck out of our service center as I guess Tesla keeps a lot of secrets?

This MS was one of the last NON-sensor equipped MS's so I'd guess the change occurred before September, 2014, and that the TPMS change was on its own timeline, unrelated to the Dual motor changes . . . .