TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by NigelM, Sep 15, 2015.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

So went to look at configuration options again this morning and two new renderings (I don't think they are photos) showed up:

ui_category_standard_equipment_2.jpg

ui_category_standard_equipment_3.jpg

2. Zextraterrestrial

hmm, I fit 2 bikes like that in my S :tongue:
    but not flat on their sides or with a tall seat, ooh or behind the second row!!! nice
    seems like a neat design. hope the second row could be removed too maybe?

can little people still sit in the second row?

3. commasign

commasign Active Member

Nice. Looks like photos to me. 2nd row appears to slide all the way forward but not under the front seats. This may be the step in solution for accessing the 3rd row too. This solution does allow for 3 child seats to be used in the 2nd row without block access to the 3rd row.

4. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Really? Looks like CGI to me.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

As I mentioned to someone else, I'm one that was more concerned about being forced to get performance over seat folding/storage space, but these renderings actually have me a bit concerned. There looks to be less utility than a Model S there (especially since to get that space it looks like the second row tilts down, so not like you could actually still have some use for that row).

Also looks like the third row may have the next gen bolsters causing it not to fold fully flat.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm torn, but leaning toward photos because of the ground and shadows from what appear to be trees in the shot with the packages. There's some weird pixelation on the packages though that make them look a bit photoshopped.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

BTW: Talking to someone who already configured, it seems that you lose access to the design studio once you press the order button. I'm tempted now to hang on for a day or two just to see what else shows up.

7. 777dgt

777dgt Member

Is the bike included?

8. larmor

larmor Member

Regarding the second picture: tesla model X to now compete with amazon drones...

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Also, when you move your cursor towards the side of the main screen you also now get an option to see interior and exterior shots side by side:
    Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 11.02.52 AM.png

10. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

Those images are clearly CGI - it doesn't use global illumination (illumination too flat).
    The shape of the specular reflections are also a dead giveaway (on car paint, glass or chrome trims)

11. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

ui_category_standard_equipment_3-lighter.jpg
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. Lightening and enlarging a bit doesn't add a lot of detail, except that it seems that the backs of the second row seats are reflective. Some kind of polished metal surface? Interesting...

12. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Wow - that's surprisingly little space. So this really is just a jacked up Model S and not actually the bigger and more flexible SUV that many of us have been hoping for. The second picture clearly show that no one can sit in the second row there.
    I can't wait to see the comparisons of actually usable space between a Model S with seats folded down and the X with second row squished forward. You appear to have a little more vertical space but about the same horizontal space.
    Again. Wow. I'm getting ready for a massive disappointment.

13. stevenberry54

stevenberry54 Member

Called it!

Model X Configuration has begun! - Page 7 - Middle of the page.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm keeping an open mind but I think we'll be waiting at least until the 29th before finally pulling the trigger. BTW, reason for cautious optimism this was in the email last night:
    Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 11.10.48 AM.png

"...even more practical than a typical SUV in every way" possibly means something more than we're seeing here so far.

15. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

Same side by side pics are there for the Model S.
    ScreenHunter_270 Sep. 15 10.12.jpg

16. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

That is a point I've visualized for a while ... thinking how they may believe this is better than folding flat because you can put tall things there.

[update: Note sure why they didn't hang that front wheel over the edge of the 3rd seat. Looks like there is 1.5' there.]

Image: http://i.imgur.com/tcE5xMT.png
    tcE5xMT.png
    Image: http://i.imgur.com/017nBBA.jpg
    017nBBA.jpg

17. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Thanks Nigel for posting these pictures! This just confirms what I said earlier that Tesla does monitor these forums (one way or another). I think these new images are a clear reaction to 2nd-row-gate (not as serious as Apple's antenna-gate). I think it's great that they did this, and I hope they keep it up.

18. Jerico

Jerico Member

I'm confident there is a rational reason why they don't fold flat. We'll know in just two weeks.

19. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Reality distortion field, anyone?
    But just in the interest of full disclosure - I'll be holding on to my reservation until I can test drive the real thing.
    Because let's face it - the Model S has many shortcomings. Yet it's the most amazing car (err, two cars) that I've ever owned.
    So maybe I will convince myself that I really didn't need all this space and that the falcon doors make sense and all that...
    I posted the two pictures in the other thread, but I'll do it here, too, because I think it so sums up what I'm thinking:
    2ndrownow.jpg 2ndrow.png

- - - Updated - - -

That's one way of looking at it...
    I think because they don't want to rub people's noses in the fact that this isn't a flat surface as we were lead to believe...

20. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I still have access. I guess you lose access once it's confirmed (a week after ordering)