Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the pics Nigel. Yeah you could try waiting they might release the front pics.

Elon's got to sort him self, Tesla's becoming like Apple, style over substance. I swear to god you could fit more in a hatchback like the Honda Fit than the X.

Of course everyone is forgetting the other thing as to why the storage inside is so important..NO ROOF STORAGE ABILITY on an SUV...

The X is no longer an SUV it is like the Vauxhall Mokka, a raised hatchback for the elderly and immobile, a Motability car. Not that everyone who is getting an X is like that of course.

810121242816.jpg

Thanks for the pics Nigel. Yeah you could try waiting they might release the front pics. Elon's got to sort him self, Tesla's becoming like Apple, style over substance. I swear to god you could fit more in a hatchback like the Honda Fit than the X. Of course everyone is forgetting the other thing as to why the storage inside is so important..NO ROOF STORAGE ABILITY on an SUV...The X is no longer an SUV it is like the Vauxhall Mokka, a raised hatchback for the elderly and immobile, a Motability car.View attachment 94240
No roof storage? Oh I didn't realize this, but I guess it makes sense structurally.. Ok, I was planning on buying an X but definitely not anymore. The only new and cool factor would be the falcon-wing doors and autopilot (my S doesn't have the hardware for this). I can imagine a lot of people won't buy an X over an S unless they absolutely have to (eg. multiple kids).

It astounds me that during the conception phase, falcon doors was a higher priority than folding seats in a sports UTILITY vehicle.
I think this is something that many of us have said over and over... all these delays because of the engineering challenges... challenges likely driven by something that is mostly a flight of fancy and a silly idea (falcon wings)... and instead we didn't get things that are crucial to "utility".

The pictures are pretty much in line with my expectations. I am very torn, but I am leaning towards canceling my reservation.

From the pictures, it's obvious that you will be able to fit in a lot of stuff. But the cargo capacity simply isn't as good as expected. Do I want to spend this much money on a car that might just marginally be "good enough"?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you fit that much stuff in a Model S or any other CUV?
Yes, in all probability.

I think this is something that many of us have said over and over... all these delays because of the engineering challenges... challenges likely driven by something that is mostly a flight of fancy and a silly idea (falcon wings)... and instead we didn't get things that are crucial to "utility".

I'm curious.. Would skis fit in that space? Doesn't seem likely... Someone estimated about 55" of usable space (either in this thread or the other one). If I understand correctly, skis for a 6' person are ~6' so ~72 inches... No way the space is >72 inches... I'm sure that's a deal breaker for many people.

Those images are clearly CGI - it doesn't use global illumination (illumination too flat).
The shape of the specular reflections are also a dead giveaway (on car paint, glass or chrome trims)
Also, in reality no one in their right mind would would put their bike's greasy drive train facing down on their brand new interior.

Anyone else worried that it looks like the second row needs to be moved up a lot to get the third row folded down? If the headrests are indeed not removable this could be a big hassle and potentially remove UTILITY from its CUV.

People are actually complaining about the falcon wing doors, still? We've known about them for years now. It's obvious the X was made with ease of ingress and egress in mind, first and foremost. The storage space is large, not the maximum space available, but it will be adequate for almost anyone. Take a deep breath, people and wait for the reveal/official specs.

People are actually complaining about the falcon wing doors, still? We've known about them for years now. It's obvious the X was made with ease of ingress and egress in mind, first and foremost. The storage space is large, not the maximum space available, but it will be adequate for almost anyone. Take a deep breath, people and wait for the reveal/official specs.

I think people are now concerned that this gimmick feature may have caused many other useful features to be removed.

Can you fit that much stuff in a Model S or any other CUV?

Here's the Q7 the X was due to replace:

40422_Audi_Q7_2nd_row.jpg

2015-Audi-Q7-Interior-Cargo.jpg

Well, seems to have plenty of space for my needs. Then, again, I don't go surfing here in MN.

I didn't realize people who routinely haul things that wouldn't fit in this Model X configuration would use something other than a pick-up to do so. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Using that picture that Tesla provided today, my best guesstimate, using the 22" inch wheels as size markers, it looks like the Model X will have approximately 77" inches of storage front to back, which is what the Model S has. Plus the Model X has more vertical storage at the back and a lot more vertical storage at the front (by the second row seats since there is room all the way to the floor there).

This works for me. I wasn't expecting much extra storage over the S, since the X was ALWAYS described as being built on the same platform as the S.

As compared to the S, the X will give you true 7 person seating, more vertical storage, towing, a bigger frunk (New Frunk info (9/15)), and seats that appear resistant to having kid's footprint marks all over the back (this isn't a small feature if you have kids!). Hopefully there will be some other hidden features too, like a better autopilot sensor suite, and improved rear ventilation.

Let's get this out of the way. Yes, people are still complaining about the gimmicky falcon wing doors. Ease of ingress and egress? Sure. Sliding doors on minivans have shown us how to do that for years.
The falcon wing doors seemed cool to Elon. And that's why we have them. They require more space when opening compared to sliding doors. They require significantly more complicated design. They prevent a roof rack.
Please, let's keep this thing at least loosely reality based. This isn't a GOP presidential debate...