TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by NigelM, Sep 15, 2015.

1. thx1139

thx1139 Member

Now I have no intention of ever getting a Model X since I just dont like SUVs/CUVs. They all seem far larger on the outside then they are on the inside. Yet when it comes to discussion of storage space shouldnt the Frunk also always be considered with any Tesla?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Thread: New-Frunk-info

3. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

The wheels of the bike are probably 28". And by the picture, I doubt that you could quite get two of them lying flat in a row, but *maybe*. That makes the space behind the second row 50-55". That's not acceptable in my book. I can fit stuff up to around 70" in my i30 CW, more if I move the front passanger seat all the way forward and tilt the seat back forward. And that's not an SUV.

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Two kids, two dogs. Let's go somewhere for a week. Bring the dogs and some bags. Oh, and the kids (because in the pictures at the top of this thread no one is able to sit in the 2nd row seats).
    No, this is not about surf boards and ply-wood and stuff. This is about the 'U' in CUV. Utility.
    And no, I don't want to take a pick-up to go on vacation.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

No, no, no, the 22" wheels are the CAR wheels, not the bike wheels. We have no idea how big the bike wheels are. I used the picture with the boxes to make these calculations.

6. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

It matters when talking about total carrying capacity. Not the carrying capacity for large/long items.

- - - Updated - - -

The angle makes it extremely hard to get a good estimate in that picture. 50-55" is probably a lot closer to the truth.

7. Cosmacelf

Bet?

8. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Active Member

Ummm, what CUV or SUV allows the second row to fold flat and put kids in it. I think in the 4 human configuration the storage is pretty comparable here with other models, is it not?

9. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

Nor has anyone been forced to buy this vehicle........ I think if you are convinced that it is gimmicky from the start why do you not just get something else....... It's beyond me how so many of us here on the forums complain about things that are personal needs and /or tastes. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

10. ProSkeptic

ProSkeptic Member

The debate is on the verge of moving to the question of whether the third row can be stowed with the second row still in a usable position.

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Haha my drawings were correct!! The second row seats don't fold but instead NSFW spoon the front seats!!

12. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Better with the deeper area (and then think about the frunk)!
    Remember it is taller than the Model S so stack higher to ceiling/roof.
    Image: http://i.imgur.com/v4aGDJH.png
    v4aGDJH.png

13. ProSkeptic

ProSkeptic Member

Speaking strictly for myself, the issue is that I'd kinda like to see Tesla succeed and inject some life into the automotive industry. They're not going to do that by shooting themselves in the foot.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

My info is that it can.

15. yobigd20

That also doesn't look like a significant difference in cargo space vs MS either.

16. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

But are they going to do that by copying what everyone else does? (ie. non EV driveline stuff)

17. Cosmacelf

Here's my methodology for estimating rear horizontal space on the Model X. I'm more than willing to see someone else do a competing analysis.

ModelX-Boxes.jpg

18. ProSkeptic

ProSkeptic Member

I'd hope (and bet) that you're right.

To not have it so would be the most monumentally stupid idea in automotive design since the Pontiac Aztek's exterior styling.

19. yobigd20

This is a HUGE disappointment. I guess Elon's going to eat his own words here. There's absolutely nothing spectacular about the 2nd row seats. What a hype for nothing.

20. ProSkeptic

ProSkeptic Member

It's one thing to try something different. It's another to let Not Invented Here syndrome rule every decision that's not dictated by USDOT code.