Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am certain that space is present in the X since it is built on a very similar chassis to the S and there is nothing else to fill up that space.

Since the X is built on the same platform as the S, I don't see why some on here are disappointed the X does not seem to be longer then the S. I understand those who may be disappointed that the length of the storage bay seems shorter but I think the picture of the bike in the rear highlights the length may very well be the same. If the same bike fits in the rear of the S, then the length of the X would be very similar no? Which is no surprise since it's the same platform. What the X has that the S and no other SUV has is storage from the floor to the ceiling. And the floor of the X appears to be much lower then those of other SUVs

I'm confident Tesla made a rendition of the car with the rear seats folded (obviously with the prototype). Then they compared it to the current configuration and did objective measurements along with loading it full of different things and found this latest configuration to be more useful to their surprise. Like doing an experiment and getting an unexpected outcome. And now they will bring it to market to show us that our traditional beliefs of an efficient cargo bay is wrong and actually theirs design is more useful.

Just a quick response to the few dismissive statements in this thread. As has been mentioned, some people have had a decent chunk of change down on the vehicle and have been anticipating it for some time. However, aside from that, what I see is a number of Tesla fans who are concerned by what they're seeing, not only for their own vehicle, but also for what it means for Tesla. I am of the mind that most participants in this forum are hopeful that Tesla as a company is successful. Anything that interferes with that potential is probably going to set some people off.

I've been clear about not wanting the FW doors from the beginning. I'm planning to buy the X in spite of the doors because I love what Tesla has done so far, and also because I don't really have a lot of BEV options. Once you're committed to BEV, you also don't have a lot of choices to just "buy another SUV."

Saying I'm eager for more details on the 29th is a gross understatement. If Tesla does a minimal event without a lot of details, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Here's yet another example of fold flat seats with seat belts integrated into the seat:

Volvo XC70

2634_5lo.jpg

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Volvo-XC70&A=2634

Obviously it is possible in cars, vans, buses, etc. , as I showed in my previous posts.

Do you need more examples?

The seats of the XC70 are strong enough to do this because they lock into the frame of the car when they are not folded, giving them strength to handle the force from a crash. This is not possible with the MX because there is nothing for the seat backs to lock into. There is no frame member there -- just door.

17626_1_5.jpg

The seats of the XC70 are strong enough to do this because they lock into the frame of the car when they are not folded, giving them strength to handle the force from a crash. This is not possible with the MX because there is nothing for the seat backs to lock into. There is no frame member there -- just door.
Good catch there. You can clearly see the latches on the side pillars.

It's not problem solved if half the Model X reservation holders cancel, the car gets bad reviews and the stock tanks. If it's fine for you, great, but the poll in the other thread indicated that a majority of people do not agree with you.

There are so many things wrong with polls conducted on TMC; they're self-selected (generally only by the extremes), they are usually posted by someone with self-interest, etc. Let's use it as a finger-in-the-air measure, but if I were at Tesla it would be the last place I would be looking for hard information because statistically, it's one of the worst places you could go.

In my Subaru Outback, I often fold only half the rear seat and can fit the bike inside with it tilted at a 45 degree angle leaning on the rear seat. In this fashion, the kid seat can stay were it is (and my daughter can ride in it). To make this work, I only need to remove the front wheel.

Looking at the X, I'll bet that I could lay the left side rear seat down, more the left side 2nd row forward and fit the bike inside while still having the right side rear and middle seats available for passengers. So I'll bet the X is 4+bike.

BTW: Talking to someone who already configured, it seems that you lose access to the design studio once you press the order button. I'm tempted now to hang on for a day or two just to see what else shows up.

There's 20,000+ people in the queue for configuring behind you, Nigel. Move along :biggrin:

Seriously, though, someone else will find the next big thing and post it here.

Wow, is that extra maybe 12" when the seats are/aren't folded enough to change from I like the car to I don't like the car. It's also going to have more space on the floor behind the seat. It doesn't seem like there's much wasted space there.

There is say 12" of wasted space in front of the seat vs 12" of wasted space below a folded seat is it even that much different?

When second row folds, you can put long but narrow objects (e.g.) skis between two front seats. Now you can't.

When second row folds, you can put long but narrow objects (e.g.) skis between two front seats. Now you can't.
I don't think carrying skis is an enormous challenge. If my assessment that the cargo area is 1.8 meters long is correct, you can push the left or right 2nd row seat all the way forward, and then you can carry 4 people and 4 pairs of skis that are up to around 2.15 meters long laying diagonally in the cargo area.

Of course, it would have been better if you could fold the middle seat, so that you could carry a bunch of skis in the middle and use four, or maybe even 5 seats (using one seat in the 3rd row).

I don't think carrying skis is an enormous challenge. If my assessment that the cargo area is 1.8 meters long is correct, you can push the left or right 2nd row seat all the way forward, and then you can carry 4 people and 4 pairs of skis that are up to around 2.15 meters long laying diagonally in the cargo area.

Of course, it would have been better if you could fold the middle seat, so that you could carry a bunch of skis in the middle and use four, or maybe even 5 seats (using one seat in the 3rd row).

ok.

In Norway we borrow (for free) a trailer from the DIY store when hauling such stuff

Will you Norwegians stop making me jealous of your country. You have Bjorn with his videos showing how much better Electric Vehicle infrastructure and incentives are over there, as well as showing how clean it is, how well maintained the buildings and roads are and how green it is over there, and now this ^^

Will you Norwegians stop making me jealous of your country. You have Bjorn with his videos showing how much better Electric Vehicle infrastructure and incentives are over there, as well as showing how clean it is, how well maintained the buildings and roads are and how green it is over there, and now this ^^

Just Google their crazy high prices on everything and you'll feel better. I Think They are the most expensive country in Europe as far as cost of living is concerned.

@all

Don't forget: There is additional space under the back-floor and in the trunk (which should be higher). Swith the extra height, the MX will have more cargo space then the Model S - AND more then the most SUVs out there. BUT as always the car WILL be different then others and you might need to arrange the luggage differently, then known from previous cars. If they had listened to the crowd, it would have been flat folded, with insanely few cup holders, there won't be the falcon wing doors and perhaps it would make some noise, while driving, only to let it feel like an ICE.

So you have to decide wether you want a new car which is different to others and invents some crazy new stuff, or you don't want to change and just buy a Q7 instead.

Have a little trust. This car will just be amazing and the mass will want to have one. AFTER they did a Test Drive.

It's only some weeks, don't loose your mind over the finish line. [emoji12]

Last edited: