Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Model X can seat 5+Bike (like it seems in the render), it's a major improvement over Model S 2+Bike.

And when you add the major increase in Frunk+Trunk space compared to the puny frunk in the Dual motor Model S, I'd go for the X any day (I won't personally because I don't have a large family or pets but that's besides the point).

If there's a real complaint against X, it's basically not having a roof rack (especially needed for super long items) and no panoramic sunroof that opens, not the cubic capacity.

I am surprised at some of the animosity in this thread. I haven't seen anyone posting that I wouldn't call a Tesla fan. I am not in the market for the X but I do hope it is flexible enough to have broad appeal. I started worrying a long time ago when the Falcon Wing doors were first shown. If you ski or surf that might eliminate the X. My interest is in the X being a vehicle which will sell 50K+ units per year on an ongoing basis. That will fit the announced volumes Tesla is planning on and take revenue where it needs to be for Tesla to take the next step. The Roadster was fine as a first car. The S has been a triumph. However, Tesla is no longer a small company with just a few engineers. The X represents their first effort as a "real" car company with cars already in volume production. I want the Model S type of success to happen again and again.

I'm not surprised at all at the animosity.

Many people put down serious $ for a reservation, and as of last year, Tesla was still showing pictures of the 2nd row folding with a caption reading "what would you do with all this space" or something similar. Throw in a contingent of TMC forum members who will justify anything that Tesla does, and animosity is going to happen.

I don't see this as a necessarily bad thing. Tesla employees do monitor the forum, and the controversy sends a message.

I step away from my phone for meeting and with in a couple hours there is this post of 12 pages!

I fink it bye resting to hear people complaining about how a bike fits or doesn't fit in back of an X... Seriously folks! We have been looking at the Model X prototypes and mules for how many years? We have been talking about inside space for years.. Comments like "oh my Model S can fit a bike as well with the seats down". GOSH... The model X seats SEVEN (7). The Model S seats 5+2.. Need 7 seats, get an X. You need 5, get an S. That simple. The are tons of bike racks that fit on the back of a car such as the Model X.

Oh! And these are Signature Seats.. The might even be a different seat option for the 2nd row. Who knows!

Just my my two cents (5 cents in Canada as we don't have pennies any more plus the USA conversion)

Here's my methodology for estimating rear horizontal space on the Model X. I'm more than willing to see someone else do a competing analysis.

View attachment 94266

I sure hope you are right.

I do have a question, though. Where did the extra length of the cargo area come from? I mean, if the cargo area of the MS is 76" in length to the back of the first row seats, and the cargo area you calculate for the MX is 76" to the back of the stowed 2nd row seats, then that part of the cargo area is the same. However, the MX has the additional thickness of the stowed 2nd row seats in there, and that is -- what -- another 15" or so from the back of the front seat to the back of the 2nd row seat? That additional interior length had to come from somewhere, and the MX is only 2" longer than the MS.

So we have established that the back area is the same, but we have to come up with an additional 12" somewhere in the interior of the car to account for the thickness of the stowed 2nd row seat. Did they move the front seats a foot further forward, and the dash, and shorten the hood (remember, this is a dual motor car, there isn't space up there to move too far forward)?

I still hope you are right.

It appeared (to me) that the bike was in the space of the 3rd row. The boxes were with the 2nd row "forward". At any rate, would it be so difficult for Tesla to disclose the space in NUMBERS.... how many inches, mm, yards, cubes, anything but a speculative picture. Does anyone at Tesla know how to communicate without causing more speculation. When I get specs from Audi, everything is laid out... head room, leg room storage space in cubic feet, floor space in inches or mm. This secrecy or lack of clarity doesn't bare well.

If the desired affect was to provide information about the storage space due to the "unrest", seeing the speculation nature of this forum, Tesla failed badly.

Last edited:
Two kids, two dogs. Let's go somewhere for a week. Bring the dogs and some bags. Oh, and the kids (because in the pictures at the top of this thread no one is able to sit in the 2nd row seats).
No, this is not about surf boards and ply-wood and stuff. This is about the 'U' in CUV. Utility.
And no, I don't want to take a pick-up to go on vacation.

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, but if you're taking two kids somewhere, I don't think folding down second row seats would apply to you. Were you planning on sticking the kids in the frunk, or were they hanging out with the cargo?

Folding seats would not fix your dilemma, and the presence of the frunk gives the MX way, way, way more space than any other SUV/CUV out there when you actually take more than one passenger.

Emphasis on the frunk. It's cavernous. It's like having a foldable 4th row of seats and extra hatch available.

The seats still slide forward and hug the front. You're talking about maybe being able to haul plywood that's one foot shorter, at worst, and while hauling plywood you can also fit two golf club bags in the frunk. You have to be the fringiest of fringe storage cases to have more usable space in a competing gas SUV than you would in a Model X, and I very much believe that the non-next gen rear seats will fold down and be an option on non-sig models anyways.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong for people to discuss what they need but those who say why Tesla is so stupid to design a car that does not meet 100% of MY requirement is just silly.
Yep. It is tiresome to read the "MX is ugly" comments as well. If you don't like it, fine. Move along but why rain on the parade of those who do? Fortunately, I know how to ignore the naysayers.
Here's the deal - Tesla is attempting to cater to the woman demographic with this car.

This is going to be pretty damn near, or past, the capabilities of current CUVs or SUVs when it comes to internal volume of the vehicle.
This woman will be hauling mostly adults but prefer the functionality of a smallish SUV - like the Lexus 350. What I'm reading so far about the MX is better than any of the competition.

FYI - I'm rooting for and have stock in Tesla but if something better comes along, I'll look closely at it.

Something nobody seems to have mentioned is that in both of those pictures the very back end of the storage area doesn't seem to have the deep well that was originally in the prototype (and as in the Model S). I hope that space is still in there as that adds quite a lot of storage space, especially when the third row is up.

Something nobody seems to have mentioned is that in both of those pictures the very back end of the storage area doesn't seem to have the deep well that was originally in the prototype (and as in the Model S). I hope that space is still in there as that adds quite a lot of storage space, especially when the third row is up.
There is, however, what looks to be a handle for a cover to said compartment. Look under the back wheel of the bike.

I am certain that space is present in the X since it is built on a very similar chassis to the S and there is nothing else to fill up that space.

Let's get this out of the way. Yes, people are still complaining about the gimmicky falcon wing doors. Ease of ingress and egress? Sure. Sliding doors on minivans have shown us how to do that for years.
The falcon wing doors seemed cool to Elon. And that's why we have them. They require more space when opening compared to sliding doors. They require significantly more complicated design. They prevent a roof rack.
Please, let's keep this thing at least loosely reality based. This isn't a GOP presidential debate...

All true.. but did we really want a minivan?

No one remembers my epic Home Depot and Office Max run in the Model S?

Never underestimate the Model S's cargo capacity...

attachment.php?attachmentid=55788.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=55789.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=55790.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=55791.jpg

Pretty sure the Model S might have more practical usable space than these X renders show.

Previous generation Toyota Sienna has one of the 2nd row seats with built-in seat belt, and yes, it can fold down and the whole seat flipped forward. And it can slide forward/backward, it has variable position for seat back angle, isofix anchor for child seat and has a lever to flip seat forward for 3rd row access. You can also remove the whole seat.

I simply can't see how having a seat belt would prevent the ability to fold.
What year is that? Do you have a picture of it folded flat?

Edit:
I found a video of the 2010 Sienna, which does appear to have a seat with shoulder belts that can fold flat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw9xap1LNKY

The explanation by Toyota for why the 2011 version doesn't fold flat perhaps applies to the Model X too (and perhaps gives credence to the theory there might be "regular" seats that do fold flat):
The sacrifice in padding needed to get them to fold flat into the floor is noticeable even on short jaunts. Toyota thought long and hard about it and decided that people are in those seats more often than large objects occupying the cargo area. In short, Toyota's engineers say they chose passenger comfort over cargo loading ease.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/18/2011-toyota-sienna-first-drive/

For the 2011 and 2015 model year, the Sienna 2nd row seats can't fold flat. They can fold forward at a certain angle (like the front seats in a coupe), but the problem is very much similar to the Model X (you can push the seat all the way forward, but it still takes up vertical space). Of course the Sienna seats are removable, but the Model X ones are not (as far as we know).

2015 Sienna:
2015-toyota-sienna-se-3rd-row-seats-access-770x510.jpg

2011 Sienna:
255533.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the main issue obviously is that the belts are mounted on the seat AND the seats must be able to fold. If the seats can't fold, then it is the same problem as the Model X and may suggest that is a requirement for such belts (at least for the sides).
Here's yet another example of fold flat seats with seat belts integrated into the seat:

Volvo XC70

2634_5lo.jpg

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Volvo-XC70&A=2634

Obviously it is possible in cars, vans, buses, etc. , as I showed in my previous posts.

Do you need more examples?