Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the suspension back with the polyurethane bushings installed; put those back on with the painted calipers and everything came out pretty good!

If anyone needs their suspensions replaced with polyurethane bushings my guy can do it for you.

View attachment 536541 View attachment 536542 View attachment 536544 View attachment 536545 View attachment 536546 View attachment 536547

And now demonstrating my ignorance of suspension systems, what is the function of those plastic bushings? Is it to keep lubricants above them? Some other purpose?

Reactions: jason.tv
And now demonstrating my ignorance of suspension systems, what is the function of those plastic bushings? Is it to keep lubricants above them? Some other purpose?

The roadster came with foam bushings for the suspension which are now disintegrated so really there are no bushings on the roadster. If you hit a pothole or slam down on something hard you could bottom the car out if it hits the metal on metal if nothing is protecting it. The black springs are very durable for heavier cars but anything is a possibility; rather be safe than sorry.

Since rubber bushings in your suspension take a pounding any time your vehicle is in motion, they must be extremely robust and durable in order to last. And, generally, they do last for quite a while under most normal driving conditions - so much so that automakers don't specify any kind of replacement interval. However, rubber bushings in your suspension do eventually succumb to wear, tear, and dry-rot over time. When one or more suspension bushings give up the ghost, you've got metal-on-metal contact creating noise, vibration, and harshness. more details on - When Is It Time To Replace My Suspension Bushings?

Google result - To be blunt, no, it's not safe to drive a vehicle that have any bushings that are completely broken. ... When they fail, those components can snap and cause serious damage to the vehicle, but more importantly, it will create a serious safety hazard for you and any occupants in the vehicle

The bushings were the first thing I noticed that were disintegrated upon taking off the belly panel when I first received the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: jason.tv
Got the suspension back with the polyurethane bushings installed; put those back on with the painted calipers and everything came out pretty good!

If anyone needs their suspensions replaced with polyurethane bushings my guy can do it for you.

View attachment 536541 View attachment 536542 View attachment 536544 View attachment 536545 View attachment 536546 View attachment 536547

they did the bushings on the ends and the bump stops on the shafts? or just the bump stops? you mentioned preventing bottoming out. either way, how much was that?

did you get the shocks serviced too? new oil, etc?

they did the bushings on the ends and the bump stops on the shafts? or just the bump stops? you mentioned preventing bottoming out. either way, how much was that?

did you get the shocks serviced too? new oil, etc?

Yea just the bump stops on the bottom of the suspensions in the picture. No replacement on the shocks or oil; nothing was leaking.

Last edited:
received and installed the rear diffuser by Medlockandsons.com and it's Stunning!! DMV randomy issued me a plate ending in -F16, I'm gonna take off now!

IMG_7918.JPG
60988671697__3826541F-A8E3-4815-A2AF-75E91091468C.JPG
IMG_7316.JPG

Last edited:
Received the new batch of rotors from @titaniumdave ; They are beautiful with the black forged rims; I wish I could say everything was a success but the Carbotech 1521 brake pads do not fit; they are to thick for the rotors. I ordered these on my own prior to the new rotor batch.

So confused in thinking the brake pads should fit my lotus guy was explaining why I should not use Carbotech or G-loc brake pads; reason for this is they are high performance pads for both street and racing which I am not tracking the car; at most I am going to daily activities and or doing daily errands at end of the day such as going to the supermarket lol.

He was explaining to me all these pads require Heat or a high temperature for the brakes to work; I am not bringing my brakes up to that kind of temperature especially when the roadster has regenerative braking with release of the acceleration I have learned to use that as my braking.

We went with the Hawk HPS

Hawk Brake Pads - Lotus Elise/Exige/2-eleven all - HPS Rear

Hawk Brake Pads - Lotus Elise/Exige Standard - HPS Front

These pads do not require any heat for them to activate. This is more street user friendly in which if you look at few prior posts about them no one has anything bad to say. Only good things. And they are $100 cheaper - Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

I will repost when all the rotors are properly installed with the new Hawk pads.

61214030971__52373396-7E5B-4982-8D12-160A5CC41649.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: drewski
Received the CF spoiler from @CM_007 - This one was a bitch to put on; not sure if I stripped the screws or what not on the left hand side but thank god he included longer screws; maybe the thread did need the longer screws I have no clue. Took me 3 hours to figure out.. ugh.

Overall came out great; also received the Carbon fiber side ducts which will be installed when we finally receive the correct brake pads in a few days; titaniumdave said something must of happened or error with the carbotech 1521 pads; Sure enough I contacts knsbrakes.com and they did mess up. They contacted carbotech and they sent me a return label which they received today, fixed, and already sending back. I should received those in a few days; that's when I can install the side ducts.

The next project is the Headlight buckets / internal housing done in carbon fiber; @drewski recommended the "Silver" color cf which would make the headlights POP and I kinda love the idea so I think I am going with it as the original CF look might be too dark underneath the lens of the headlight.

IMG_8222.JPG
IMG_8218.JPG
IMG_8219.JPG
IMG_8221.JPG

CarboTech fixed the issue with the pad thickness and shipped the front pads back now have finally installed all the Custom Rotors from @titaniumdave

Also did the Carbon Fiber side ducts from @CM_007 which were tricky to install at first until understood how to do them. The driver side Bass tube is in the way so it's not possible to get to the screw where my finger is pointed. The Bass tube or Bass Enclosure needed to be removed in order to access the screw but managed and figured it out.

Florida weather is really crappy; been raining all week so can't take the car out for a spin or test drive with the new rotors or to begin the embed process; hopefully it's a nice day tomorrow.

IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG
IMG_8267.JPG
IMG_8268.JPG
IMG_8269.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Tex EV and drewski
drive her in the rain! better braking tests!

though you do need to bed the pads a bit . . . drive in the NEXT rainstorm after you bed the brakes! ;)

I believe you they are good :); my guy said better to embed in dry weather; assuming makes more sense as you want to put heat into the rotors to start the embed process, with rain it will stop the rotor from getting hot.

Last edited: